Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 02:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I would not have an 18 year old live on their own, just to prove independence to the masses. Silly.

I think your confusing what corporate America wants.
There's not an utility company, banker, auto dealer, phone company, etc that does not want your children in debt.
So, glad I didn't buy into that **** with my
family.
Eighteen is the legal age at which time the individual is recognized as an adult. They can vote, sign contracts, leases, loans, and do so without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. If the parent(s) are doing their job, their children will be prepared to make hard real-world choices by the time they are 18 years old. Part of those hard real-world choices is paying their own way in society, which they cannot do by living off their parents.

If those who turn 18 years old cannot learn to function in the real-world, without their parents, why would anyone consider them to be responsible adults? I certainly would not consider them mature enough to vote, sign contracts, leases, or loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
1. A lot of my classmates have thier parents paying for thier bills or thier dorm expenses... While living on "thier own" and wasting thier work money on girls/ boys, clothes, fancy smartphones and partying.

2. They are the most spoiled brats I know that still have the 10th grade mentality. Very adult like. (sarcasm)

They also moved out at 18.
They may have moved out, but their parents did not cut the umbilical cord. Helping them out from time to time when they stumble is to be expected, but when the parents are footing 100% of the bill then they really have not left home.

That is typically the case when someone else is paying the bills. Why should they care? Their parents paid for their education for the first twelve years, it seems only reasonable that their children pay for their own college education. Then they will appreciate it more.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Are you saying there are two brothers? They/He wouldn't be the way they/he is if not for your parents. They created the monster(s).
One brother. the Lived/s just meant that technically he lives with his wife in their free trailer but he also spends 6 evenings a week over at Mom and Dads and stores all his stuff there.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And to all those who say "there are no decent paying jobs out there", and "it's not worth working 70 hours a week at a menial job to live" or "I'd rather live with my parents than suffer to prove a point"...

...GROW THE HELL UP!!!! I'm no out-of-touch boomer either; I'm only 33.

How many people here struck out on their own to a nice place with a good job and jumped right into a comfy lifestyle? Not many, I'd wager. Your parents live in large, comfortable houses with all the comforts and conveniences the human mind can come up with because they worked decades to get them!!! You aren't gonna start at the end!!!

I.
Read through many of the posts.
This is just the attitude of those that don't want to make the struggle on their own.
For the past 2 generations, this is what I have witnessed from kids more and more.
There seems to be an idea we (the parents) started out with what we ended up with.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Read through many of the posts.
This is just the attitude of those that don't want to make the struggle on their own.
For the past 2 generations, this is what I have witnessed from kids more and more.
There seems to be an idea we (the parents) started out with what we ended up with.
You came by it a lot easier than they will, that's for sure.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
You came by it a lot easier than they will, that's for sure.
You know that how?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You know that how?
...by studying economics. Past, present, and forecasts for the future.

Situations vary, but the opportunities available to you for employment, the far more reasonable housing prices as compared to the average income, and the lower cost of living vs. income, gave you a better chance for success than they will have currently.

That uphill both ways in the snow crap doesn't fly anymore. Nobody wants to hear it.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 AM

197 posts, read 208,196 times
Many of the older posters say that the problem stems from the younger generation not being willing to grind at a lower paying job like the generation before them. In general, I agree with that statement.

Now, where are the jobs? Oh that's right, there are none, we are in a major global recession which has eliminated most viable, productive jobs and left only meager positions in a service economy, if any. Who caused the recession? Your generation.

You are given a ripe economy, filled with manufacturing jobs and no substantial debt after WWII, and pass to the younger generation a consumerist economy dominated by the financial industry, where most productive, manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas, and the rest devastated by a popped real estate bubble that YOUR generation created, and all you have to say to them is "GROW THE HELL UP"?

Geez, no wonder America is in the state its in. Over 50% divorce rate, generational warfare(old vs young), class warfare(tea party vs occupy wall street, rich vs poor), etc. etc. Useless internal divisions that prevent us from even acknowledging the greater issues. Oh well, that's democracy for you.

My advice older generation - please be mindful of what you say. You are speaking to the future of America. What kind of legacy do you leave if all you have to say is negative things about the generation that is coming after you? Or have you simply lost faith in America and are only concerned with living well in your retirement, damn the world? At least acknowledge that they are living in rougher, more uncertain times, and back off with the condescending attitude.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
Many of the older posters say that the problem stems from the younger generation not being willing to grind at a lower paying job like the generation before them. In general, I agree with that statement.

Now, where are the jobs? Oh that's right, there are none, we are in a major global recession which has eliminated most viable, productive jobs and left only meager positions in a service economy, if any. Who caused the recession? Your generation.

You are given a ripe economy, filled with manufacturing jobs and no substantial debt after WWII, and pass to the younger generation a consumerist economy dominated by the financial industry, where most productive, manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas, and the rest devastated by a popped real estate bubble that YOUR generation created, and all you have to say to them is "GROW THE HELL UP"?

Geez, no wonder America is in the state its in. Over 50% divorce rate, generational warfare(old vs young), class warfare(tea party vs occupy wall street, rich vs poor), etc. etc. Useless internal divisions that prevent us from even acknowledging the greater issues. Oh well, that's democracy for you.

My advice older generation - please be mindful of what you say. You are speaking to the future of America. What kind of legacy do you leave if all you have to say is negative things about the generation that is coming after you? Or have you simply lost faith in America and are only concerned with living well in your retirement, damn the world? At least acknowledge that they are living in rougher, more uncertain times, and back off with the condescending attitude.
Exactly.

Their seemingly "lazy attitude" might come from the fact that over the last decade folks have been forced to do the job of 2 to 4 people. Every day at work seems like a break-neck pace to complete tasks, while quality is completely out the window. The laziness might be there because the compensation for this crazy amount of work just isn't there.

Having crawled into the minds of some folks from overseas, I can tell you that this is not purely economic. There is a different philosophy in other countries that is infecting this one. The philosophy that it's better to get things done quickly and fix problems after the fact than it is to get things done right once. China and India mostly.

Getting things done right the first time was an American value. Those who think our values have deteriorated are correct. This is no longer a priority, and it's evident everywhere you turn. Most task-based reality shows proudly display this way of thinking, and Americans have shifted to it.

Folks forget though, this is why we never liked goods from China. Because they're crap. Why are they crap? For the reasons I just mentioned. We have all but lost our identity as Americans, because we have adopted the philosophy followed by those who we used to despise for their work quality. We have now become the problem. Congratulations globalists!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
...by studying economics. Past, present, and forecasts for the future.

Situations vary, but the opportunities available to you for employment, the far more reasonable housing prices as compared to the average income, and the lower cost of living vs. income, gave you a better chance for success than they will have currently.

That uphill both ways in the snow crap doesn't fly anymore. Nobody wants to hear it.
Two points.
1: There are MORE people working than there are not.
That means there are jobs...not no jobs.

2: When the going is not easy those with the "uphill both ways in the snow crap " stories are the ones who make it (or made it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies