Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Two points.
1: There are MORE people working than there are not.
That means there are jobs...not no jobs.

2: When the going is not easy those with the "uphill both ways in the snow crap " stories are the ones who make it (or made it)
1. Your point is? Think about it, and dare I say use some logic. Young people are new to the work force. All of them start out unemployed out of school. Logic dictates that in tough times where jobs are scarce, they will have the toughest time putting a dent in the unemployment numbers for their demographic. So the fact that you see so many young people unemployed is only a surprise to those who fail to apply logic. (aka common sense)

2. This isn't about easy. This is about opportunity. The job opportunities do not exist. Just because a company is hiring, that doesn't mean they're willing to pay the employee for their services. Because of the condition of the economy, employers are becoming more and more unrealistic when it comes to compensation. You can't take a job like that, because you'll be stuck there for 2 to 3 years. Why? Because working somewhere for only 2 years reflects poorly on a resume.

I will not let my daughter take a job like that. Good jobs still exist, but they're about as easy to come by as an honest politician. These kids are not slaves. They don't have to take a job just because some greedy employer is offering to pay them 60% of market rate. That makes up most of the creeps hiring right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
1. Your point is? Think about it, and dare I say use some logic. Young people are new to the work force. All of them start out unemployed out of school. Logic dictates that in tough times where jobs are scarce, they will have the toughest time putting a dent in the unemployment numbers for their demographic. So the fact that you see so many young people unemployed is only a surprise to those who fail to apply logic. (aka common sense)

2. This isn't about easy. This is about opportunity. The job opportunities do not exist. Just because a company is hiring, that doesn't mean they're willing to pay the employee for their services. Because of the condition of the economy, employers are becoming more and more unrealistic when it comes to compensation. You can't take a job like that, because you'll be stuck there for 2 to 3 years. Why? Because working somewhere for only 2 years reflects poorly on a resume.

I will not let my daughter take a job like that. Good jobs still exist, but they're about as easy to come by as an honest politician. These kids are not slaves. They don't have to take a job just because some greedy employer is offering to pay them 60% of market rate. That makes up most of the creeps hiring right now.
I will let your post and the excuses in it speak for itself.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

So you will just sit tight and do nothing until the "good time" come back ?
Good luck to you and your kids.

At the job creation rate we have now (less then 100K per month) it will take 12 years to get back to a UE rate of 6%.

You and yours will sit on the sidelines for 12 years waiting ?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you will just sit tight and do nothing until the "good time" come back ?
Good luck to you and your kids.

At the job creation rate we have now (less then 100K per month) it will take 12 years to get back to a UE rate of 6%.

You and yours will sit on the sidelines for 12 years waiting ?
1. No, but I would advise and enable them not to take a job in their field paying much lower than the position deserves. I would advise them to take a job as a waitress, or other menial service job that can be explained away as transitional employment while waiting for the right opportunity.

2. The job creation rate now has a lot to do with politics. That number can change at any point. Aside from that, it's a meaningless number. What counts are the job prospects in your chosen field. Some fields like software development have a crazy unemployment rate that will never go down, ever. A computer science degree is about as valuable as a degree in local ice cream delivery. On the other hand, a degree in engineering with a focus on renewable energy has an extremely low unemployment rate. There are choices to be made.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 AM

I walked away when this sentence hit me
" Because working somewhere for only 2 years reflects poorly on a resume."

Hahahha....I guess "I sat home for 2 years because my mommy woudn't let me take a job that was beneath me" will look better on a resume!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I walked away when this sentence hit me
" Because working somewhere for only 2 years reflects poorly on a resume."

Hahahha....I guess "I sat home for 2 years because my mommy woudn't let me take a job that was beneath me" will look better on a resume!
Do you ever leave the house? Really.

THINK, McFly. Unless you're going to just lie to your next employer, you don't want to get started with a company not willing to pay a fair wage. It's a dead-end job, because corporations simply do not hand out large raises anymore. They strive to not alter the standard of living for their employees. The only way to make more money is to job-hop and fudge your last salary. So why start at a job that you know you'll have to hop when the right one could be around the corner?

hahahahaha, what are you like 75 years old? You need to wake up and smell the present. You need to be careful about where you choose to work, for how long, and at what price. My kids will have the luxury of being able to plan their careers effectively. I am giving that to them. Why? Because I'm not some greedy back-woods conservative who flips out whenever the electric bill comes in and their kids are playing video games at the same time. Responsible parenting doesn't stop after 18 years. It stops when they no longer need you. Grow up and take some responsibility for the kids you've made.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Do you ever leave the house? Really.

THINK, McFly. Unless you're going to just lie to your next employer, you don't want to get started with a company not willing to pay a fair wage. It's a dead-end job, because corporations simply do not hand out large raises anymore. They strive to not alter the standard of living for their employees. The only way to make more money is to job-hop and fudge your last salary. So why start at a job that you know you'll have to hop when the right one could be around the corner?

hahahahaha, what are you like 75 years old? You need to wake up and smell the present. You need to be careful about where you choose to work, for how long, and at what price. My kids will have the luxury of being able to plan their careers effectively. I am giving that to them. Why? Because I'm not some greedy back-woods conservative who flips out whenever the electric bill comes in and their kids are playing video games at the same time. Responsible parenting doesn't stop after 18 years. It stops when they no longer need you. Grow up and take some responsibility for the kids you've made.

Another post that stands better all by itself....not only telling but full of assumptions.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Another post that stands better all by itself....not only telling but full of assumptions.

Because I think that folks need to take responsibility for their children?

I don't know how old you are, nor do I care. However I do know that you do not love your children based on what you've said here. Either that, or you have none. I don't know, or care which.

As with anything, the job of a parent is to guide their children through the storm. Right now, I have to take any job that comes my way if I become unemployed. They don't. You take any available job when you have no choice. When you have a choice, you take the smarter path.

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 AM

I have children and I'll pass along the news that I don't love them.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Because I think that folks need to take responsibility for their children?

I don't know how old you are, nor do I care. However I do know that you do not love your children based on what you've said here. Either that, or you have none. I don't know, or care which.

As with anything, the job of a parent is to guide their children through the storm. Right now, I have to take any job that comes my way if I become unemployed. They don't. You take any available job when you have no choice. When you have a choice, you take the smarter path.

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation.
And sometimes you have to take a job to get a foot in the door and some experience to put on a resume. A 2 year stint at a job is nothing these days. The workforce has become mobile and job hopping is acceptable now. Long gone is the 30 year career at a single company.

You can't come out of college with no work experience and expect to get hired at a high starting salary rate. Those with a resume and a degree have a better chance of getting hired then those with a blank resume or large gaps inbetween jobs, even entry level.

The job market today is not what you experienced at 18.

And if that new hire has helicopter parents..then hoo boy ...their career is toast right from the get go because "Mommy called the manager about so and so" goes faster through the grapevine then a layoff notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies