Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Hi! Welcome to 2011. Most Italians are considered to be fully white in America. I hear the Irish are all white too.

And what's even more surprising is the fact that some Mexicans are fully white! Amaaazing!
Some Italians are White, some Italians are black. There are even black Irish.

"some Mexicans are fully white!" Yep, Apparently, its a law in Mexico that you have to be white to be a newscaster or soap opera star

Last edited by LS Jaun; 11-04-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Some Italians are White, some Italians are black. There are even black Irish.

"some Mexicans are fully white!" Yep, Apparently, it a law in Mexico that you have to be white to be a newscaster or soap opera star
There are no black Irish. The term refers to Irish people who look like Bono. I'm of Irish descent, and I look like Bono. My grandpa used to tell people we were "black Irish" -- probably because people thought you had to have red hair and freckles to be a Paddy back then. The term is not used much these days.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There are no black Irish. The term refers to Irish people who look like Bono. I'm of Irish descent, and I look like Bono. My grandpa used to tell people we were "black Irish" -- probably because people thought you had to have red hair and freckles to be a Paddy back then. The term is not used much these days.
I think they were talking about immigrants to Ireland (or Italy)

Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have never in my life heard anyone seriuosly say an area that is majorily white is racist. Probably because it's not. Only on CD...

Old 11-04-2011, 03:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have never in my life heard anyone seriuosly say an area that is majorily white is racist. Probably because it's not. Only on CD...
There are majority white areas that are racist but it has nothing to do with said areas being majority white.

There are also majority white areas that are not racist.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
It seems that anglo-saxons for the most part are considered generic white. Whereas germans, czechs, italians, spanish and many of the eastern or southern europeans are considered 'ethnic' whites. That's simple hegemony, when cultural dominance is so complete it's not even questioned.

Whites today can be a mixture of many things- not just the traditional Scots-Irish. But would you think there is power in numbers of just being in the big vanilla bag of 'white' and not being ethnic white, which separates you from the pack.

Why are Scots or the Welsh any less 'ethnic' than the Irish or Greeks? (of course overlooking the purported race-mixing with the moors that took place in the med).

Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Well I'm sure you got a few brothers born there...

Of course that was never the colloquial usage of the term.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
there are roughly 45,000 Irish that are listed as being of African decent. there is also a black mayor elected in Portlaoise Ireland.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Every body immigrated there at one time or another.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Prince George's County is predominantly black, and the main reason for this is the white flight that began to occur 40+ years ago when whites refused mixing with blacks, selling their homes when blacks began moving in out of fear of falling property values, and moving to nearby counties (look at the race demographics of Montgomery, Anne Arundel, and Fairfax Counties). So, PG's racial makeup did not become like that because blacks just wanted to live next to each other, not nearly as much as it had to do with whites not wanting to live anywhere near blacks.

Same thing happened in Baltimore, as blacks began moving out of the city and whites moved further away. Look at Woodlawn and Randallstown, and even parts of Owings Mills which are predominantly black. These are all evidence of "white flight".
What's interesting is that as immigrants pour into the DC area they are overwhelmingly choosing to live in white neighborhoods in Virginia and Maryland.

So it's not just whites that appear not to want to live among a significant number of Blacks. I suspect the quality of schools and crimes are also a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies