Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,552,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
For the same reason someone with a different skin color and background would. (About living around people from the same ethnic group as them).

What is the difference between them and me? I can't have opinions on where I want to live and why because I am White? What kind of BS is that?

And I have lived in a black neighborhood in Boston and was not very welcome there because I did not fit in...and I wasn't the only one!
It's a shame that you did not fit in. If I would have even gone into some White neighborhoods in Boston when I lived there, I would have been killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,379,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's a shame that you did not fit in. If I would have even gone into some White neighborhoods in Boston when I lived there, I would have been killed.
South End.

There was an episode of House Hunters where a black realtor was showing an Irish couple condos in Southie. They kept talking about the parking. I kept laughing.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
South End.

There was an episode of House Hunters where a black realtor was showing an Irish couple condos in Southie. They kept talking about the parking. I kept laughing.
Not the South End, that's a pretty cool area. South Boston. Southie. That's where you don't wanna be..........

Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The major problem with your assertion is that White history, heritage and culture is promoted constantly in this society. You don't have to be proud of being White, because your existence is the default and the rest of us live in comparison to you. Whites are the privileged class in this society.
How dare you White people be proud of your White history, White heritage, and White culture in a country that was founded by White people!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
How dare you White people be proud of your White history, White heritage, and White culture in a country that was founded by White people!!!
"founded" by White people?

You mean "stolen" by White people. You do realize there were people on this continent when the European arrived, don't you?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,531,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Because the people you work with are stupid?

seriously, that's all i can glean from the story. The only "conflict" here lies within your acquaintances and the things they say.
...im wondering if OP has actually ever even lived in a real city/metro area

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I don't think you get the OP's point.

If I say I want to live around White (Caucasian) people (I am Caucasian), I am labeled racist.

If a Black person says he wants to live around Black people, it is not racist. He is just expressing himself and wants to be around "his people".

There is always a double standard. Whites cannot be proud of being White. But Latinos, Asians, Blacks can say they are proud of being XYZ and it is perfectly fine.
I like this post...cause it gives me a chance to explain the following...

I was raised in Eastern WA...can't really get much more 'white' than that...from K-12...that's pretty much all I was around...except I'm not 'white'...

But that's been years ago...

But here's what I've learned...

With 'whites'...(and that's an umbrella term)...it's more about 'culture' or 'firmilurarity' than it is 'color'....

It's about 'Americana' more so than color...

And when whites say they 'want to live around other whites'...what I've learned they really mean is 'people with my percieved generic principles'...

In other words apple pie, baseball, hot rods, rock-n-roll, ect ect...

A certain percieved 'standard', 'model'...normality....which brings comfort.

And like a fello poster said...'by default' whites percieve other whites as providing that value system...

As well as everyone else...even blacks...why do you think so many blacks feel they have 'made it', when they can finally move into a predominatly 'white' community?

Cause they to seek that percieved 'standard'...

(when in truth the people in those homes, communities, could be having wild orgies and smoking weed, cocaine, meth, mob bosses, crooks ect ect)....

But the perception of normality, provides a level of protection...steers suspicion away...

(sorry don't mean to sound like a college Proffesior)

I befriended many whites growing up from K-12...was invited into their homes, spent the night...the whole shabang....

One thing I learned is once the kids, my peers, got over the color or shade thing...I was 'one of them'....I talked like them, had the same interest as they did, hung out in the same spots, ect ect...

They would invite me to their homes...and their parents would accept me, as one of their own...cause I behaved like them...

Color never mattered...it was all behavior and or culture, firmiluarity...

To them I 'was white'...but simply had dark skin....

But again...it was a small college community...so they didn't have a lot of bad 'references' in which to build or associate 'negitave' behavior too....

No crime, no homeless, no druggies (accept for their own weed smoking kids)....

You will find unique relationships like that exist all over America, in small rural communities...at least back in the day they did when communities were more isolated.

The biggest problem facing 'blacks' today is perception...

Negative perception...expecially do to mass media and internet and talk radio...where drama sells...

A black person today, going into a small ski town in Utah, unless already well known, will have to over come a lot of negitave perception...

And other local blacks living in such areas will be harder on you than the whites, more cold, and more distant...

Why?...cause 'they don't want you ruining a good thing for them'....

In other words...more than likely they've been there for a while...have already assimulated in the all white area...have won over hearts and minds...the last thing they want is a 'negro' from Detroit spoiling it for them by show casing stereotypical behavior and thus setting them back in the eyes of their peers...

They've spent years prooving 'hey, I'm white like you...'

So when an outsider black shows up...it's like them looking in the mirror...and they don't always like what they see...it's a reminder that regardless of their behavior...physically they're still 'black'....

And they don't want to see that....

Anyways...it's like I'm writing a thesis...let me stop....good heavens I didn't mean to go on this long...

Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,034,015 times
I don't wanna live around "White people". I wanna live around educated, sophisticated, responsible, intelligent, kind, thoughtful PEOPLE be them black, white, or purple. Seriously it comes down to education. You think Herman Cain is surrounded by "black people". Please...........look at his house, I forget where it is but judging by the pictures it was most defintely a "white neighborhood". Because I'm white that means I want to live in a neighborhood surrounded by wiggers? Because I'm white I wanna be surrounded by a neighborhood full of gun toting rebel flag flying right wing conservatives? Because I'm white I wanna live in a neighborhood surrounded by bible beating, christian jesus freaks who would rather make sure I'm "saved" than worry about taking care of their own life and responsibilities? No thanks. I understand what the OP is trying to say and many others but come on. America is a cesspool of multicultralism. There is no such thing as a white neighborhood......it's all about money and income level. Not race.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM

129 posts, read 153,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?
Umm white people do that all the time, I dont hear anyone saying they are racist for it.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,034,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I like this post...cause it gives me a chance to explain the following...

I was raised in Eastern WA...can't really get much more 'white' than that...from K-12...that's pretty much all I was around...except I'm not 'white'...

But that's been years ago...

But here's what I've learned...

With 'whites'...(and that's an umbrella term)...it's more about 'culture' or 'firmilurarity' than it is 'color'....

It's about 'Americana' more so than color...

And when whites say they 'want to live around other whites'...what I've learned they really mean is 'people with my percieved generic principles'...

In other words apple pie, baseball, hot rods, rock-n-roll, ect ect...

A certain percieved 'standard', 'model'...normality....which brings comfort.

And like a fello poster said...'by default' whites percieve other whites as providing that value system...

As well as everyone else...even blacks...why do you think so many blacks feel they have 'made it', when they can finally move into a predominatly 'white' community?

Cause they to seek that percieved 'standard'...

(when in truth the people in those homes, communities, could be having wild orgies and smoking weed, cocaine, meth, mob bosses, crooks ect ect)....

But the perception of normality, provides a level of protection...steers suspicion away...

(sorry don't mean to sound like a college Proffesior)

I befriended many whites growing up from K-12...was invited into their homes, spent the night...the whole shabang....

One thing I learned is once the kids, my peers, got over the color or shade thing...I was 'one of them'....I talked like them, had the same interest as they did, hung out in the same spots, ect ect...

They would invite me to their homes...and their parents would accept me, as one of their own...cause I behaved like them...

Color never mattered...it was all behavior and or culture, firmiluarity...

To them I 'was white'...but simply had dark skin....

But again...it was a small college community...so they didn't have a lot of bad 'references' in which to build or associate 'negitave' behavior too....

No crime, no homeless, no druggies (accept for their own weed smoking kids)....

You will find unique relationships like that exist all over America, in small rural communities...at least back in the day they did when communities were more isolated.

The biggest problem facing 'blacks' today is perception...

Negative perception...expecially do to mass media and internet and talk radio...where drama sells...

A black person today, going into a small ski town in Utah, unless already well known, will have to over come a lot of negitave perception...

And other local blacks living in such areas will be harder on you than the whites, more cold, and more distant...

Why?...cause 'they don't want you ruining a good thing for them'....

In other words...more than likely they've been there for a while...have already assimulated in the all white area...have won over hearts and minds...the last thing they want is a 'negro' from Detroit spoiling it for them by show casing stereotypical behavior and thus setting them back in the eyes of their peers...

They've spent years prooving 'hey, I'm white like you...'

So when an outsider black shows up...it's like them looking in the mirror...and they don't always like what they see...it's a reminder that regardless of their behavior...physically they're still 'black'....

And they don't want to see that....

Anyways...it's like I'm writing a thesis...let me stop....good heavens I didn't mean to go on this long...

See that's exactly what I'm talking about.....I don't wanna live around NASCAR watching white idiots. Sorry! Like I said intelligence and education level is a much better measuring stick than hot dogs and apple pie.

It's assimilated and familiarity as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies