Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
So we know that the last true "good economy" was in the late 50's early 60's, right?

Folks have all sorts of theories about it. Mostly to due with the war ending.

Ok, but what about this....................?

Maybe we're having so many problems right now because our world is being run by a load of spoon-fed baby-boomers who don't know what real work is? The worst are the ones who lecture everyone else about it, but in reality still have no idea what true hardship is. They came up during a time where success was possible.

It isn't now. It really and truly isn't possible with hard work. It's possible with luck, and shrewd business deals, but hard work? That will get you absolutely nowhere these days. Just like the boomers made it.

So now that we have a generation of young people coming up through some hard times, maybe THEIR kids will do better? ..........after they suffer of course. Then we'll have another generation after that. Another generation of boomers with soft hands and soft minds.

Am I making any sense? I just blurted this out. It probably needs more thought, but when you look at history it makes you wonder how and why things take place.
Isn't this the second anti-boomer thread you started this week?
Try reading one of the other 3 from this week alone.
Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Their children never did, but their grandchildren is another story..
Yeah, every boomer had it easy.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-07-2011 at 03:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Not only was the economy good in the 50s because of the war ending - the gov't turned over many contracts to private businesses, there were other factors as well.

Before the war, people were usually required to put a 50% down payment on a home. Once the FHA became bigger, they reduced that to 10-20% and gave out a lot more loans. Same with the GI Bills. It allowed men to go to school and not risk their families' wellbeing.

IOW, the gov't helped out that generation mightily! Also, in many respects - economically, socially, politically - the 50s were an anomaly in world history.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
The sins of the boomers were not what they did, but rather what they did not.
They abandoned their responsibilities as citizens and instead focused on their individual lives and desires. They allowed the void left by their absence to be filled with lobbyist and corporations eager to exploit the vacuum.
They gave up without even fighting.
Now it is up to latter generations to try to regain lost ground.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am a baby boomer and a Vietnam War veteran. I had great expectations but have learned it is more satisfying to work as only as hard as I need to get enough money to stay warm, dry and own a couple of toys. I tried to chase the big money but learned there are fanatics out there much better at it than I. I am still alive and several of them have died of stress. They died rich but are still dead.

I am nearing retirement and learning a couple of new careers that can be done from anywhere I am. I look forward to somebody else providing the money for my living expenses while I work for myself for a change. Should be interesting.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Uhhh, that was Scarlet O'Hara, at the end of the Wind and the Civil War.

The depression era parents had a common experience, depending on personal condition at the time. But all had the experience of WWII. At the time the country was more rural than urban. After the war that began to change but I think those who participated in WWII had a common bond which was shared in the work place and civic level. I don't think their kids (of whom I'm one) had any easier life. We just had more. It was an awesome time with transistor radios, TV's, Sputnik, air conditioning, wall to wall carpeting.

It was those parents who built the country we know today, unfortunately, including the results of the Congresses that came along with it. It was the boomers who protested VietNam, growing government, four dead in Ohio. It's the grandkids who have no idea, through lack of education, of the struggles of the 30's and 40's and growth of the 50's and 60's. For them, privilege has always been the norm. They just expect it as a right.

It was boomers who FOUGHT in Vietnam also........

Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
It was boomers who FOUGHT in Vietnam also........
Yes it was. And I got my 'Report to AFEES' notice in December '68.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM

277 posts, read 228,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I have mixed feelings about that article. I don't like the author, and I don't like Strauss and Howe's generational hocus-pocus.

However, I'm a millenial, and I can relate to some of these things he's talking about. It does feel like the Baby Boomers are waging class warfare against us. When we fight back, they scream, "THAT'S CLASS WARFARE!!" It is continuing to alienate me and drive me away from the things they support, because it feels like the basic interests of my age group (jobs, for example) are being neglected in favor of soon-to-be retirees (lower taxes, higher asset prices).

My buddies are white guys from the deep south.... dyed in the wool fiscal conservatives. We've always been Republicans. Talking to them these days, they are all "independents." Nobody has the heart to switch to the Democrats, but so many of us passionately hate the Republicans and the Tea Party, because its platform is to screw over young people.

its today's youth that is screwing over everyone

their enitlement mentality is killing the entire country

the boomers and the generaton before them and after them worked their tails off, and all today's youth wants is an iphone handed to them

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Marine 1967 View Post
its today's youth that is screwing over everyone

their enitlement mentality is killing the entire country

the boomers and the generaton before them and after them worked their tails off, and all today's youth wants is an iphone handed to them
The Boomers were also the beneficiaries of many generous governmental programs that helped them become homeowners, earn degrees etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Marine 1967 View Post
the Millennials or Generation Y are the ones that are killing america

they are:
  1. Bigger than Baby Boomer Generation
  2. 3 times the size of Generation X
  3. Weak on interpersonal skills
  4. Impatient
  5. Having spent a large percentage of time in structured activities, they are accustomed to having a lot of adult supervision. Thus, they may have poor conflict resolution skills.
  6. Stressed. Compared with five years ago, 81% of college mental health service directors reported an increase in students with serious psychological problems. Pressure to succeed is one reason identified by some counselors.
Oh wow. I didn't realize my impatience and lack of conflict resolution skills were killing America.

Tell me more!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

277 posts, read 228,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Oh wow. I didn't realize my impatience and lack of conflict resolution skills were killing America.

Tell me more!

why do you think 'generation y' (aka the Millennials) are also called “generation whine”. Gen Y is basically includes anyone that was born after 1981. The previous generation, Gen X, is anyone that graduated high school in the 1980s.

Gen Y are distracted (always multitasking but never doing a good job), feel a sense of entitlement, they are the most marketed to generation ever (not only do they accept it, they relish in it).

Gen Y’s music can be defined as wholly unoriginal and the band Fall Out Boy personifies it. They aren’t original enough to come up with their own video concepts; they have to adapt stuff that was created by the generation before them. Their pop music is prepackaged Disney stars that are created by a massive marketing machine. There is no real movement here, mostly co-opting the culture of the previous two generations.

Has Gen Y produced anything of value?

Poor Gen Y! Overly concerned with their social appearance and academic performance, many parents and employers complain that Millenials lack loyalty and humility; as Fortune 500 reports,

"Coddled by their parents and nurtured with a strong sense of entitlement," Generation Y has reaped the benefits of a more socially and technologically open world. The Washington Post explains that "Reared on rapid-fire Internet connections and cheap airline tickets and pressured to obtain multiple academic degrees," many Millennials "grew up with an array of options their parents or older siblings did not have."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies