Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Where is Fannin?
Sorry, should have been more specific. It is a street in the middle of the Houston medical center.

My friends surgery was much less than I thought she would have to pay. Usually the patient who pays for themselves does not get the insurance discount. Must have been the difference between a facility owned by the doctors and one owned by giant corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I absolutely do not support death panels at all. However, if someone wants an expensive, costly procedure after the age of 80, shouldn't they pay for that out of pocket? Why should the public foot that bill -- and oh by the way, medical dollars are finite, so every dollar spent on the geezer is a dollar not spent on the middle aged mom who is still raising some teenagers, or the teenager who never had a chance to grow up.

Selfish, selfish, selfish. I remember my grandpa routinely saying: I'm old. I've lived my life. Give the young ones a chance. In fact, I remember a lot of old people saying that in the 80s. It's sad these decent, self sacrificing people have passed on... leaving us with the new breed of entitled ugly old person, content to suck every last drop of life out of whoever they can. Disgusting.

If you want to live to be 150 and you want all the best modern medicine has to offer... great! More power to you! Pay for it your damn self though. Asking me to do so is like a welfare queen insisting on living in a McMansion on my dime. NO!
great post. So here's the thing: Medicare as we know it is dead as a doornail, whether we go down the Obamacare path or the Ryan plan path. We can't keep on paying $2400 for $400 wheelchairs, doing open heart surgery on 93 year olds, etc.

SO the question is, who makes the tough choices? Under Ryan's plan, the individual does. Under Obama's vision, the government (in some form) does. When Westcobb says if you want "all the best modern medicine....pay for it" it really comes down to the individual.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific. It is a street in the middle of the Houston medical center.

My friends surgery was much less than I thought she would have to pay. Usually the patient who pays for themselves does not get the insurance discount. Must have been the difference between a facility owned by the doctors and one owned by giant corporations.
You have to ask for the discount as a lot of hospitals will actualy crank up the bill 30% as they assume the patiant will not be and they will have to file with the fed gvmt for 72% reimbursement. They add the 30% to get reimbursed for the majority of the bill. Paying cash ( check credit card ect) will actualy get you an even better price then the ins co's get.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Gotta like the left wingers on here telling those who have given greatly to society and lived fullfilling and happy lives to "pay for it their damn selves' and if they get a little medicare they are selfish....

While at the same time having no problem with some crackhead scumbag or person who contributes nothing to society and chooses not to work get free everything and expects us to foot their bill for abortions and THEIR mistakes

This is why I have ZERO respect for todays liberal.... looking down on those who built this country while coddling and making excuses for those who do nothing but bring it down

Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Gotta like the left wingers on here telling those who have given greatly to society and lived fullfilling and happy lives to "pay for it their damn selves' and if they get a little medicare they are selfish....

While at the same time having no problem with some crackhead scumbag or person who contributes nothing to society and chooses not to work get free everything and expects us to foot their bill for abortions and THEIR mistakes

This is why I have ZERO respect for todays liberal.... looking down on those who built this country while coddling and making excuses for those who do nothing but bring it down
That's the problems with laels, A&M. I don't know what "left wingers" say, but I know that I certainly don't support welfare for crackheads. I support equal access to opportunity. I hear many Republicans call for the same thing. I do not support puntative measures against "the rich" beause they are "rich."

When looking at the spending that is bankrupting our country, you have to look at defense, social security, and medicare. You can do other cuts in other areas too, but you are not going to get anywhere near where you need to go without those. It so happens I work in defense. So even though I'm a "liberal," that spending is near and dear to my heart. (It's how I feed myself and my family.) However, I don't support bankrupting America so I can continue to get my piece of the pie. I want to see substantial cuts in defense and serious entitlement reform. I have read commentators from both sides of the aisle who state that's the only real solution to our longeterm problems.

I take it you think we should continue to foot the bill for every single medical procedure and gadget that an 85-year-old wants? And yet you think it's outrageous to send an out of work mother a $200 check from public funds once a month? Do the math. Penny wise, pound foolish. I guess you're getting up there in years, and now that you stand to belly up at the welfare trough, some welfare isn't looking to bad to you after all.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
We do need to look at medicare , and not just the fraud. Should we realy be doing hip replacements on 85 yr olds?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's the problems with laels, A&M. I don't know what "left wingers" say, but I know that I certainly don't support welfare for crackheads. I support equal access to opportunity. I hear many Republicans call for the same thing. I do not support puntative measures against "the rich" beause they are "rich."

When looking at the spending that is bankrupting our country, you have to look at defense, social security, and medicare. You can do other cuts in other areas too, but you are not going to get anywhere near where you need to go without those. It so happens I work in defense. So even though I'm a "liberal," that spending is near and dear to my heart. (It's how I feed myself and my family.) However, I don't support bankrupting America so I can continue to get my piece of the pie. I want to see substantial cuts in defense and serious entitlement reform. I have read commentators from both sides of the aisle say that's the only real solution to our longeterm problems.

I take it you think we should continue to foot the bill for every single medical procedure and gadget that an 85-year-old wants? And yet you think it's outrageous to send an out of work mother a $200 check from public months once a month? Do the math. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Actually, I am late 20's in age

An out of work mother I have no problem with, but you know when there is talk of welfare reform, the lefties automatically think you want to take away $ from the ones who actually deserve it.

Speaking of which, why does someones abortion need to be paid for and not someone who is elderly who wants to live a little longer to see their grand kids a little longer.

I think we can mostly agree that the elderly deserve our repect just a LITTLE more than some irreponsible idiot who can't keep their legs closed

Don't give me hypotheticals either because I am sympathetic to the few who were rape victims (cause I know you will bring that up regarding abortions)

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:

An out of work mother I have no problem with, but you know when there is talk of welfare reform, the lefties automatically think you want to take away $ from the ones who actually deserve it.

Speaking of which, why does someones abortion need to be paid for and not someone who is elderly who wants to live a little longer to see their grand kids a little longer.

I think we can mostly agree that the elderly deserve our repect just a LITTLE more than some irreponsible idiot who can't keep their legs closed

Don't give me hypotheticals either because I am sympathetic to the few who were rape victims (cause I know you will bring that up regarding abortions)
A&M, I talk a lot of nonsense about "Republicans want to eat babies" on this forum because I think it's funny to play politics-as-two-great-teams game. However, I aslo talk seriously about the real problems that are facing us. Welfare for bums is a concern and a moral outrage. However, it's not really what is bankrupting the country. It was pretty low in the 90s, and it was seriously reformed (and reduced) then.

Anyone who is really serious about reducing the debt and government spending can't avoid the big three: social security, medicare and defense. Of these three, medicare is the biggest "monster" because medical expenses keep growing exponentially. They are far, far higher today than they were in 2000. If something is not done, the nation you and I will more closely resemble a Latin American country than the nation we were born in. Scary thought.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:10 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Put the elderly on ice? - CNN.com

Focusing on care for the elderly, Callahan and Nuland warn that our present attitudes "doom most of us to an old age that will end badly: with our declining bodies falling apart as they always have but devilishly -- and expensively -- stretching out the suffering and decay." They hence call on us to abandon the "traditional open-ended model" (which assumes medical advances will continue unabated) in favor of more realistic priorities, namely reducing early death and improving the quality of life for everyone. They further advocate age-based prioritization, giving the highest to children and "the lowest to those over 80."

The journalist Beth Baker summed up this position: "After people have lived a reasonably full life of, say, 70 to 80 years, they should be offered high quality long-term care, home care, rehabilitation and income support, but not extraordinary and expensive medical procedures."

What will be next? Death Panels?
I think the plan sounds ok.
Has nothing to do with death panels.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:

What gives you the idea that it is the "lefties" who want to limit medical care to the elderly??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies