Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think what it is -- those strange things happen in a lot of expensive neighborhoods but you don't hear everything like you might in a trailer park. People tend to leave their windows open and even though you have some outside space, sound waves travel, plus people in trailer parks seem to know more about their neighbors and talk about what they know.

I know in big expensive homes there can be domestic abuse but the neighbors often had no idea there were problems -- that's not as true in a trailer park where everyone knows who has problems.

Trailer parks are notorious for attracting these types of people....

Trailer park becomes 'paradise' for sex offenders - CNN

Children find meth lab at mobile home park

Trailer Park Explosion in Torrance Possibly Linked to Meth Lab: LAist

Iowa law clusters sex offenders in Davenport trailer park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Not exactly, that's a fact. I asked a question about people who live in trailer parts and he went off on a tangent about race like most liberals like to do.
Sure he did, bless your little ole heart.....

Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
My experience is that conservatives don't think very highly of people who live in trailer parks either.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm just sticking to the general terms of the OP. There's nothing wrong with living in a trailer (though religious fundamentalists might deem them clearly an abomination unto the Lord, since they so readily attract tornados ), but a large portion of working class America has been conned into accepting a political ideology that is absolutely contrary to their own authentic economic and social interests.
Can you explain this in detail so we can all get a good understanding of what you mean?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm just sticking to the general terms of the OP. There's nothing wrong with living in a trailer (though religious fundamentalists might deem them clearly an abomination unto the Lord, since they so readily attract tornados ), but a large portion of working class America has been conned into accepting a political ideology that is absolutely contrary to their own authentic economic and social interests.

I agree, but they just keep voting for Dems who want to keep them dependent on government... and they will probably vote for Obama again despite his dismal record and failures.

You just can't rationalize voting patterns.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Trash is trash in a van, a tent, ghetto high rise, suburban box, apartment, condo...or mansion. Trailer parks are only as good as their upkeep. I have seen nice trailer parks for retirees, and they are clean. Bad trailer parks have one thing in common : claustrophobia. You can't wait to get out.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
In the Duluth, Minnesota area there a variety of trailer parks. Many are surprised that a city as cold as Duluth would have any mobile homes, but it surely does.

One thing that is immediately apparent is that there are "good" trailer parks and there are "bad" trailer parks. A Facebook page belonging to a local trailer park of good repute is located here: Zenith Terrace | Facebook . Both the trailers and grounds are well-kept in "good" trailer parks, while some "bad" trailer parks look like something out of the third-world, with rotting wooden trailers in various states of decay, dirt roads with potholes where water congregates, and rusted vehicles. Many in the "good" parks are retired and live in warmer climes during the winter and come back during the summer.

It is not only the "liberal elites" who look down upon the occupants of mobile homes. I will admit that I have uttered the phrase "trailer trash" quite a few times. I'm not particularly proud of it. All modern societies are divided by class, and part of this division is what could be termed "cultural" differences. These differences have repeatedly been shown to exist in several studies. For a middle-class or upper middle-class American, the behaviors reputed to be characteristic of the white lower-class are mind-boggling at best, and often draw explicit contempt. That both those contemptuous and those who show contempt are white absents racism and allows one of the last acceptable prejudices, classism. But then again you could argue that much of the racism that has existed, at least over the past few decades, is not really racism but classism masquerading as racism - it's been more than one person who has made a distinction between "black people" and "******s", with the former being respectable fellow human beings and the latter being the butt of monkey jokes.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I've noticed recently that a lot of left leaning CD posters use the term "trailer park" as a derogatory term towards people they clearly want to degrade. The term is usually thrown in with other terms like redneck or hillbilly which they also use in a derogatory way.

What's with the left's hate for people who live in mobile homes?

Am I missing something? And before you try to attack me, I don't live in a trailer park or a mobile home... I'm just asking a question.
Trailer parks are to liberals as urban slums are to conservatives.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In the Duluth, Minnesota area there a variety of trailer parks. Many are surprised that a city as cold as Duluth would have any mobile homes, but it surely does.

One thing that is immediately apparent is that there are "good" trailer parks and there are "bad" trailer parks. A Facebook page belonging to a local trailer park of good repute is located here: Zenith Terrace | Facebook . Both the trailers and grounds are well-kept in "good" trailer parks, while some "bad" trailer parks look like something out of the third-world, with rotting wooden trailers in various states of decay, dirt roads with potholes where water congregates, and rusted vehicles. Many in the "good" parks are retired and live in warmer climes during the winter and come back during the summer.

It is not only the "liberal elites" who look down upon the occupants of mobile homes. I will admit that I have uttered the phrase "trailer trash" quite a few times. I'm not particularly proud of it. All modern societies are divided by class, and part of this division is what could be termed "cultural" differences. These differences have repeatedly been shown to exist in several studies. For a middle-class or upper middle-class American, the behaviors reputed to be characteristic of the white lower-class are mind-boggling at best, and often draw explicit contempt. That both those contemptuous and those who show contempt are white absents racism and allows one of the last acceptable prejudices, classism. But then again you could argue that much of the racism that has existed, at least over the past few decades, is not really racism but classism masquerading as racism - it's been more than one person who has made a distinction between "black people" and "******s", with the former being respectable fellow human beings and the latter being the butt of monkey jokes.
Yes, there are trailer parks that have swimming pools, well kept yards, nicely maintained homes and most of the residents work or are retired but did work.

And there are some that lower working class types who will work but their jobs are a little different, like one guy would tow junk cars to a junk yard to get money but he didn't have a tow truck, he would tow them even without wheels behind his old delapitated car. It was still earning a living so you can't condemn it.

And there are trailer parks filled with meth labs and tweakers, when they run out of money for meth, they'll inhale spray paint. They don't work but live off welfare handouts and waste their days away doing nothing positive.

And there are mobile homes that aren't in a trailer park at all but surrounded by acreage because they're more affordable if you want some land around you, they may be temporary until a house is built.

And there are the real mobile homes -- the RV types that travel and stop and stay somewhere for a while.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1305620643951&id=d7b36e010c43b595 f8d8d5e9fba9ae1c&url=http%3a%2f%2fmadcapproducts.c om%2fuploads%2f2%2f8%2f1%2f7%2f2817048%2f5447011.j pg (broken link)

At least they have many friends..............

This is crazy, many seniors live in trailer parks. If you go to Northern Ca you will see some of the richest trailer parks. It's just a saying. I think all races could be "trailer park trash". You can go by other trailer parks and they have nothing but welfare and meth addicts.

There's also a saying "white trash"............. mustn't get the two confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies