Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,851,687 times

Advertisements

The ramifications of this would be sweeping. I don't think conservatives fully understand that passages of laws like these lead to government intruding on people's private lives. It's also not an action of "small" government, just the opposite.

Mississippi voting on amendment to declare fertilized egg a person - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The ramifications of this would be sweeping. I don't think conservatives fully understand that passages of laws like these lead to government intruding on people's private lives. It's also not an action of "small" government, just the opposite.

No surprise there, lots of ible thumping, few brains.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,195,734 times
Well, what do you expect from a place with relatively lower health (Mississippi | County Health Rankings), and lower education (State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Persons with a Bachelor's Degree or More) compared to the rest of the U.S.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,334,949 times
Honestly, I've given up on Mississippi.

So, if I have IVF, and have, say, 4 fertilized eggs implanted and all 4 take, this law would completely eliminate my options to have selective reduction to give one or two embryos a better chance. high multiple births are wrought w/ complications, both for the mother and unborn child. some children end up w/ debilitating condition after birth. some parents aren't financially or emotionally prepared to take care of so many infants at one. But apparently, the politicians in Mississippi doesn't care about that and have no issue w/ passing laws that would force women to bare children they don't want or can't have. What happened to conservatives wanting less government?

Doesn't Miss. have other issues to worry about? Horrific education standards? One of the worst obesity rates in the U.S (if not North America)? Racism and segregation that is still an issue? Ideologies rigidly stuck in the 1930's?

Again, I've given up on this state. Let them pass this law. Just gives people another reason to shake their heads at Mississippi and ridicule it

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM

a commenter posted an interesting comment on the CNN article:

ZangZeeZang
Are those fertilized "in vitro" eggs going to be counted in the census? If I have 10 waiting in the lab, can I claim them as dependents on my income tax??

On the flip side, if you had 10 fertilized eggs in a lab and decided against using them, is the doctor committing murder if he destroys them? Will you be forced to use them? do politicians even try to think of the long range implications when passing silly laws like this or do they just let fundie religious groups guide their decisions?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,904,491 times
It is a way to stop the creation of human embryos for profit, medical testing, and genetic manipulation. If you don't like it don't live in Mississippi.

If you want IVF have it one fertilized egg at a time. Yes, the chances are reduced of a successful implantaion but then human embryos are not tossed aside and selectively murdered just for convenience either. Infertility stinks but the devaluation of human life stinks worse. Adopt.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is a way to stop the creation of human embryos for profit, medical testing, and genetic manipulation. If you don't like it don't live in Mississippi.

If you want IVF have it one fertilized egg at a time. Yes, the chances are reduced of a successful implantaion but then human embryos are not tossed aside and selectively murdered just for convenience either. Infertility stinks but the devaluation of human life stinks worse. Adopt.
Excuse me, but who are YOU to tell anyone how to build their family? What next, telling people how many children they can have? China did that too, you know; worked wonders for them...

Trust me, I have little desire to visit Miss., let alone live there. That state is devolving at an alarming rate. Expect to see a severe brain drain if this keeps up

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,798,123 times
Quote:

The conservative motto: Regulate People, Not Corporations.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,784,923 times
Fertilized eggs are people
Corporations are people
Soylent Green is people

Let's just keep it to people are people.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,107,412 times
Quote:

How does it intrude "on people's private lives?" Who's stopping someone from doing whatever it is they do behind closed doors? Who's stopping the person from getting a legal abortion in one of the other 49 states? Want an abortion? Then get in your car and take a road trip. Nothing says that abortion has to be convenient just because Roe v. Wade was affirmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies