Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You know ... it really is 1984. Flags belong inside now? What has happened to people's brains? Flags are things that flap in the breeze outdoors.

But you're absolutely right ... you let this guy fly a flag, and next thing you know, everyone will start believing they live in America ... the land of the free!

And we can't have that now, can we?
Problem is this isn't his property. Apartments are very restrictive as to what you can put on the exterior of their property. After this happened, the owners did put up a flag pole, though not to the veteran's liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
But you're absolutely right ... you let this guy fly a flag, and next thing you know, everyone will start believing they live in America ... the land of the free!

Are you arguing that this guy should have the freedom to do to another's property whatever he wants?

That's what this is about

Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
No flag on the private building. What so hard to understand that. The right to fly the flag is fine only if it doesn't trample someone else's right to reasonably control their property.

Fly it inside or move. Simple as that. If he wants to really show his respect for our country he can go volunteer somewhere.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Normally, I'd side with the veteran. Not in this case. This isn't property he owns. The owner of the property sets the rules. What he could do is politely speak with the owners about other options or possibly find another property which would allow him to fly his flag or has a better flag pole and would allow him to fly his own American flag from the pole.
I disagree .... if this is "subsidized" housing, the owner is getting tax payer funds (often times extremely lucrative amounts) that pays much of his revenue. He, of all people should be proud to have a tenet that wants to fly the Stars and Stripes ...

I don't think there needs to be a law ... because if being a JERK was a felony, we'd have to lock up 25% of the population, conservatively.

But good grief ... what's the fracking harm in allowing a 70 year old veteran to hang an American flag on veterans day for cris sake.

A nation run totally by 5 year old children would demonstrate better sense.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
I disagree .... if this is "subsidized" housing, the owner is getting tax payer funds (often times extremely lucrative amounts) that pays much of his revenue. He, of all people should be proud to have a tenet that wants to fly the Stars and Stripes ...

I don't think there needs to be a law ... because if being a JERK was a felony, we'd have to lock up 25% of the population, conservatively.

But good grief ... what's the fracking harm in allowing a 70 year old veteran to hang an American flag on veterans day for cris sake.

A nation run totally by 5 year old children would demonstrate better sense.
The subsidized housing is a handout to the tenant, not the owner of the property.
http://www.affordablehousingonline.c...on8housing.asp

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
You know ... it really is 1984. Flags belong inside now? What has happened to people's brains? Flags are things that flap in the breeze outdoors.

The irony of it is that it would actually be forcing private citizens to make / allow overt displays of patriotism on their property, which is exactly contrary to the whole "land of the free" notion.

I personally would let him fly the flag if it was my property...but you can't legislate patriotism into a private citizen. All you can force them to do is abide by laws that are aligned with the Constitution and upheld by out Supreme Court. And the only reason this man is prevented from displaying his patriotism in this manner is because it is not his property.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Are you arguing that this guy should have the freedom to do to another's property whatever he wants?

That's what this is about
No, what this is about is rudimentary common sense, or the lack thereof.

You apparently equate hanging an American Flag on an American holiday of remembrance as "doing whatever you want TO someone's property" .. as if he were out there painting the building Red, White and Blue. But that's not the case ... he's only doing what hundreds of thousands of people and businesses have traditionally done for HUNDREDS of years ... hang Old Glory on Holidays, and fly at half mast on the appropriate occasions.

Now if displaying the flag causes some harm to the building ... i.e. he intended to drill holes in the building .... or the act required the owner to absorb some expense to facilitate the hanging of the flag ... that's a different matter. But that doesn't appear to be the case, as the excuse was simply "those are the rules".

My point is, the owner is a jerk, as are those that side with him. I certainly am not in favor of forcing the owner to comply, as I am a private property rights proponent ... I just think it's wrong ... it's petty ... childish ... and grown adults ought to behave more maturely, and recognize that this Old guy isn't requesting something wacky or unusual.

Alas, we are a nation with our collective heads stuffed up our own rear ends when it comes to behaving like grown adults possessing an ounce of grey matter between our ears.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
People's Republic of Oregon...what does one expect?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

Nothing. But the owner doesn't want the flag displayed.

[that's it]

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The irony of it is that it would actually be forcing private citizens to make / allow overt displays of patriotism on their property, which is exactly contrary to the whole "land of the free" notion.
It's an argument in principle that I happen to agree with ... but that principle doesn't seem to stop some people from advocating and government deciding what happens on private property when it suits them, does it? Like a bar owner who can't allow his customers to smoke a cigarette. It doesn't stop the government from telling him who he must rent to. It doesn't prevent government from demanding permits to add on to your property ... it doesn't prevent government from invoking eminent domain and taking your property as it might see fit, or fine you if your grass is an 1/2 inch too high ... or disallow you to collect rain water .... and the list goes on. So, the private property rights argument seems to be selective in it's value and application, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I personally would let him fly the flag if it was my property...but you can't legislate patriotism into a private citizen. All you can force them to do is abide by laws that are aligned with the Constitution and upheld by out Supreme Court. And the only reason this man is prevented from displaying his patriotism in this manner is because it is not his property.
Me too. And I agree, you can't legislate patriotism ...or common sense .. or basic respect for honoring the innocuous wishes of your fellow Americans, when doing so costs you nothing and allowing it brings a little joy to a sentimental old man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies