Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It's an argument in principle that I happen to agree with ... but that principle doesn't seem to stop some people from advocating and government deciding what happens on private property when it suits them, does it? Like a bar owner who can't allow his customers to smoke a cigarette. It doesn't stop the government from telling him who he must rent to. It doesn't prevent government from demanding permits to add on to your property ... it doesn't prevent government from invoking eminent domain and taking your property as it might see fit, or fine you if your grass is an 1/2 inch too high ... or disallow you to collect rain water .... and the list goes on. So, the private property rights argument seems to be selective in it's value and application, doesn't it?
Different situations, different legal standards. Apples and oranges and bananas.

Quote:
Me too. And I agree, you can't legislate patriotism
Thank God for that, because that truly would be Orwellian.

Quote:
Excuse me? But who ultimately gets the money? The freaking landlord does
More like his creditors.

Quote:
It's a contract between the government and the property owner who will set aside some or all of the units he has for rent. The prospective tenant then pays based on his ability/income a certain amount ... and the government makes up the difference in payment to the property owner.
Not if it is a Section 8 voucher program. The landlord may have no choice but to accept the voucher - that's not part of a set-aside.

Quote:
Historically, this ends up being a very lucrative arrangement for the property owner
Not really. Especially not these days, with loads of empty single family homes up for rent, affordable development landlords are having trouble maintaining occupancy in a lot of areas. Then there's the difference between physical occupancy and economic occupancy...

Quote:
.. often accompanied by a great deal of corruption, to include much higher total returns for less than spectacular, and frequently substandard units that would NEVER get the rental amounts being charged if it were on the open market. And, because of the long waiting list for such subsidized housing ... the property owner is virtually guaranteed 100% occupancy, and on time, guaranteed payments.
That depends on the state. Every state is different in that regard. In some states affordable rental units are indistinguishable from luxury units, and deliberately so. The only developments that make decent money these days are ones financed with tax credits, and even they are hurting as the syndication market has taken a dive lately. Forget about bonds. They are only viable in limited circumstances.

Waiting list? LOL
Pick up a market study sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
If it was his own property, then by all means. But it is someone elses property. Anyone who rents - be it living in a housing complex that accepts Section 8 or any other government program, or paying $2,000 a month out of your own pocket - the landlord is going to have conditions that the tenant has to abide by.

As Mr Strel would agree, it would leave an opening for others to hang their flags: be it one with a Nazi emblem, an Al Queida flag, a confederate flag, a flag with the Star of David, a flag with a Catholic symbol, and so forth. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

These are the rights that the government has given every citizen of the US. Not to mention the rights that illegals enjoy.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If it was his own property, then by all means. But it is someone elses property. Anyone who rents - be it living in a housing complex that accepts Section 8 or any other government program, or paying $2,000 a month out of your own pocket - the landlord is going to have conditions that the tenant has to abide by.

As Mr Strel would agree, it would leave an opening for others to hang their flags: be it one with a Nazi emblem, an Al Queida flag, a confederate flag, a flag with the Star of David, a flag with a Catholic symbol, and so forth. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

These are the rights that the government has given everyone.
Even better, it's actually a conservative concept we are discussing here.

I'd be very wary of giving the government the power to mandate something like this.

If the old man doesn't like it, he can take his Section 8 voucher down the road to a more patriotic development.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Excuse me? But who ultimately gets the money? The freaking landlord does

It's a contract between the government and the property owner who will set aside some or all of the units he has for rent. The prospective tenant then pays based on his ability/income a certain amount ... and the government makes up the difference in payment to the property owner.

Historically, this ends up being a very lucrative arrangement for the property owner .. often accompanied by a great deal of corruption, to include much higher total returns for less than spectacular, and frequently substandard units that would NEVER get the rental amounts being charged if it were on the open market. And, because of the long waiting list for such subsidized housing ... the property owner is virtually guaranteed 100% occupancy, and on time, guaranteed payments.
Your argument is neither here nor there. Its private property hence the rule about not hanging flags American or other on the building of the property. If you don't like it send the old guy some money so he can move.
Problem solved.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

I'd be very wary of giving the government the power to mandate something like this.

If the old man doesn't like it, he can take his Section 8 voucher down the road to a more patriotic development.

Is this the way you respect our veterans? Old man, section 8 , hit the road. That's part of our problem in this countrry today. Some day you will be old too, that is if you live that long.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

What happened to the First Amendment? You base many of your arguments using that amendment.

The public display of Nazi flags in the U.S. is protected under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution

Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is this the way you respect our veterans? Old man, section 8 , hit the road. That's part of our problem in this countrry today. Some day you will be old too, that is if you live that long.
As a veteran myself, I stand by this fact,

The OWNER of the property has every right to restrict or grant as many things as they'd like to in their lease.

If the RENTER wanted to live in a place where he could display the flag, then he can move.

I fought for the freedom of choice, and as the person who owns the house doesn't want a flag on it, I support their choice. I respectfully disagree with it, if it were my rental property, then I'd allow a flag to be displayed.

But its not my property, and as such it isn't mine or anyone elses business.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 AM

327 posts, read 320,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
He's a veteran, that doesn't make him special or above the rules.

Wouldn't that make him one of dem dere boomers that caused all the problems in the US and should suffer for it.
Read 3 threads in this folder to see for yourself.

This place gets more schizoid daily.

What does this comment even mean?
What fighting for his country did he do? Fight in another country that did absolutely nothing to the US? There's pride in that?
50,000 US and countless Vietnamese died in that "conflict" - for what? What was our reason for being there?

Is there no flag anywhere in his town?
I guess some people can't believe or feel anything without forcing others to "enjoy" their beliefs or feelings.
With comments like this I don't think its worth fighting for this country.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 AM

327 posts, read 320,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
In a private environment.
The principality, is respect and honor of our nations flag and veterans.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
The principality, is respect and honor of our nations flag and veterans.
Plenty of places to do this that do not infringe on private property rights.

WTF is wrong with you people.

My self and my family members have served in the armed forces since 1912, many of us war veterans. I don't know any of us still living that would want to force someone to fly the American flag on the side of their building against their wishes. That is just stupidity and stands in stark contrast to the principals of the constitution and our service to this great country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies