Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I disagree .... if this is "subsidized" housing, the owner is getting tax payer funds (often times extremely lucrative amounts) that pays much of his revenue. He, of all people should be proud to have a tenet that wants to fly the Stars and Stripes ...

I don't think there needs to be a law ... because if being a JERK was a felony, we'd have to lock up 25% of the population, conservatively.

But good grief ... what's the fracking harm in allowing a 70 year old veteran to hang an American flag on veterans day for cris sake.

A nation run totally by 5 year old children would demonstrate better sense.
What does his being a veteran have to do with the rules at all?
He's not special, he's just a veteran.
Just like people aren't special because they're parents, not parents, green, blue, black, white, etc.
Either you follow the rules, work to change the rules if you don't like them, or break the rules and pay the consequences.

That's what adults do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And I don't want an petty, selfish jerk off receiving my tax dollars in his government subsidized slumlord operation who finds it necessary to disrespect an old man for simply wanting to honor those who sacrificed so much for Mr. Landlord to have the life he has.
And I don't want my tax dollars making veterans and fighting wars.
Big deal.
You don't get everything you want in life.

If the "old man" can't figure that out, he should move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
With comments like this I don't think its worth fighting for this country.
Oh, are you in the military?
They're trying to downsize by 50,000. If you're in the military at the moment, it might be a good time to take an early out.

No one is fighting for this country. They're fighting for corporate interests, "he tried to kill my daddy" and the military industrial complex.

Tell me what we benefit from these wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
The principality, is respect and honor of our nations flag and veterans.
What principality? Principality - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You don't seem to respect me and I'm a veteran. (boo hoo, I'm crying)

Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,564,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Even better, it's actually a conservative concept we are discussing here.

I'd be very wary of giving the government the power to mandate something like this.

If the old man doesn't like it, he can take his Section 8 voucher down the road to a more patriotic development.
Since when is common sense a conservative concept?

He was told no hanging any thing. End of story if you want to continue living there if you are on Section 8 or paying the going rate.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is this the way you respect our veterans? Old man, section 8 , hit the road. That's part of our problem in this countrry today. Some day you will be old too, that is if you live that long.
So it is OK to break the rules where you live because you are a veteran? Would you feel the same way if he wanted to fly any other flag BUT the US flag?

Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As a veteran myself, I stand by this fact,

The OWNER of the property has every right to restrict or grant as many things as they'd like to in their lease.

If the RENTER wanted to live in a place where he could display the flag, then he can move.

I fought for the freedom of choice, and as the person who owns the house doesn't want a flag on it, I support their choice. I respectfully disagree with it, if it were my rental property, then I'd allow a flag to be displayed.

But its not my property, and as such it isn't mine or anyone elses business.
Exactly! I feel the same way.

When I moved to this city they had a law that you couldn't park a truck in your driveway after six. It had to be in the garage. I thought that was a stupid law but if I had a truck I would have obeyed it. They finally got rid of that because most of the trucks are nicer looking than many cars.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,969,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
So it is OK to break the rules where you live because you are a veteran? Would you feel the same way if he wanted to fly any other flag BUT the US flag?

Please tell me where I said anything about the flag? I commented on his disrespect for a veteran of this country. Apparently you have a reading problem.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Please tell me where I said anything about the flag? I commented on his disrespect for a veteran of this country. Apparently you have a reading problem.
I don't see how this is disrespecting a veteran. While the rule is stupid it applies to everyone. How is it disrespectful to ask a veteran to follow the same rules everyone else must follow?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,028,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, are you in the military?
They're trying to downsize by 50,000. If you're in the military at the moment, it might be a good time to take an early out.

No one is fighting for this country. They're fighting for corporate interests, "he tried to kill my daddy" and the military industrial complex.

Tell me what we benefit from these wars.

What principality? Principality - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You don't seem to respect me and I'm a veteran. (boo hoo, I'm crying)
Have you ever sought help for PTSD?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Exactly! I feel the same way.

When I moved to this city they had a law that you couldn't park a truck in your driveway after six. It had to be in the garage. I thought that was a stupid law but if I had a truck I would have obeyed it. They finally got rid of that because most of the trucks are nicer looking than many cars.
I'm all for peaceful resistence to stupid laws, like the truck law in which you speak.

Actually Michigan had similar laws, but it wasn't the drive way they were worried about, it was the plow trucks throwing stuff up and breaking windows, in which the city had to pay for. So just pass laws that says your vehicle has to be garaged or parked a specific distance away from the road.

I obeyed that law because it made sense. I disagree with the law, or the government mandating it though.

But for me, I smoke marijuana, something my government has said is illegal. But I peacefully resist. I use the system to try and change the system. I have no problem with peaceful protests either.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,969,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't see how this is disrespecting a veteran. While the rule is stupid it applies to everyone. How is it disrespectful to ask a veteran to follow the same rules everyone else must follow?

Again, I did not say anything about flying the flag. The poster I refered to called the guy old, section eight person that should hit the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies