Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I've said this before, but I'll repeat it for the ignorant...
If you could distribute every penny of wealth in the USA, so everyone has exactly the same amount.
In a couple of years, or sooner, the rich will be rich again, and the poor will be poor again.
If you're not smart enough to make money, and know what to do with the money you make, you will be right back where you started.
Thats not true at all, I know people who make low wages but are very thrifty, if they were given X amount of dollars they would use that money very well. It may be true for some but lets not put everyone under the same blanket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
there's an unexpectedly large numbers of Americans becoming entrepreneurs within months of qualifying for Medicare (over and above those you would expect to become entrepreneurs because they were fired, forcibly retired, etc.) The reason: They now have the security of healthcare, so they can take the risk of starting private companies. It's just one of the MANY, MANY ways in which a vigorous public and private sector support each other to create a successful economy that can't occur when there's only one or the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I guess you aren't taking into consideration that those people might have worked at jobs all those years that they didn't prefer, out of a sense of responsibility and after retirement created jobs out of what had had to be just hobbies or pasttimes up until then?
Maybe if I publish an article people will take it as fact?
The article you quoted contains papers that.........
"
[LEFT]They have been approved
for circulation by the RAND Institute
for Civil Justice but have not been[/LEFT]
formally edited or peer reviewed."

Sounds like an opinion piece to me.
If you read the link, in the original post, you would have learned that people wanted to leave and start their own business, but did not, because they couldn't replace the employee provided health insurance from their jobs. But once they can get Medicare, they don't have that fear.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I see this as an example of why we need an increase in cops especially in school areas and to focus the enforcement efforts on dealers.

Even though I support legalization I still support hefty sentences to people who sell to minors to "get ahead." The fact is in all fairness if what the OP said is true he should have been in jail for quite a while, but he got lucky because no one ever caught him in the needed time frame.
I agree that if the OP's story is true, which I doubt it is (who finds an extra 5 million in the course of an hour?), jail would be more a suitable place for him than the upper elechlons of American society.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
...a guy spends his days posting on a message board and just happens to be worth $20m??? No wait..I just found out I have another $5m! LOL! Quite the money manager.
The guy has over 7,100 posts in two years. On top of that, his posts are often very lengthy, not your one or two liners. Even if the guy is worth 20 million, what a waste. His life is not that much different than the 16 year old loner nerd who is addicted to the internet in his mom's basement.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
People like Hawkeye, Driller, and others don't want to accept the reality that the world is very complicated with many "invisible" and "visible" forces working for and against you. Hell if you were born in American than you are automatically more lucky than most of the world because at the instance of your birth you reap the benefits of every American before you whose labor and taxes built everything that gives us such a great standard of living. People have every right to be proud of the hard work and accomplishments that they have earned, but you are naive to think you aren't lucky.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
People like Hawkeye, Driller, and others don't want to accept the reality that the world is very complicated with many "invisible" and "visible" forces working for and against you. Hell if you were born in American than you are automatically more lucky than most of the world because at the instance of your birth you reap the benefits of every American before you whose labor and taxes built everything that gives us such a great standard of living. People have every right to be proud of the hard work and accomplishments that they have earned, but you are naive to think you aren't lucky.
Interesting that the hardest working members on here are the most prolific posters. I guess they earned their right to sit on their rump and make thousands of posts. Not the way I would enjoy my 50 million dollars, but hey, to each his own.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Yep. I've worked my buns off, worked a full time and multiple part time jobs while putting myself through college. No kids, lived on my own (well, with a bunch of roommates) and I was actually hospitalized on three separate occasions because I was in school and putting in 60+hours a week at my jobs and my body decide it couldn't handle it. I had no help from my family and paid for my entire education with my own money and a few scholarships I earned. All while dealing with my genetic disorder that caused me to have extremely painful bone spasms and organ problems.

I'm 27 and still struggling even though I've put in more than enough 'hard work'. Sometimes you get lucky and meet the right people or get hired at the right job... And sometimes you dont. Hard work doesn't always pay off the same for everyone.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Interesting that the hardest working members on here are the most prolific posters. I guess they earned their right to sit on their rump and make thousands of posts. Not the way I would enjoy my 50 million dollars, but hey, to each his own.
I could care less about how much they make or work, it's their attitudes that concerns me. To be that "rich" and that naive. Or maybe it's just an ego thing.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I could care less about how much they make or work, it's their attitudes that concerns me. To be that "rich" and that naive.
That's the right wing attitude, if you are rich, you are smart, hard working, and moral, if you are not rich you are a lazy scum bagging piece of garbage.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That's the right wing attitude, if you are rich, you are smart, hard working, and moral, if you are not rich you are a lazy scum bagging piece of garbage.
Nah it's called being human. I generally don't like to generalize but you do have somewhat of a point about right wingers believing hard work and intelligence are the end all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies