Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It also so happens that our gov't recognizes marriages, yes M-A-R-R-I-A-G-E-S, performed outside of a religious atmosphere as valid as those performed within a house of worship.
Yes, and you did not refute a thing I said. Good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No, what you personally want to call it idc and in the eyes of the church it is still the union of a man and woman.
Good. So homosexuals can marry, call it a marriage and sing marry-marry-marry all the good long day and you won't care, right?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Yes, and you did not refute a thing I said. Good night.
Who said I was trying to?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I haven't seen such posts. Most of the threads dealing with homosexuality appear to be started by gay activists. Was their a reason you chose to attack people of faith by mocking God? Are you a troll?
A troll? I've been called worse by better, but I didn't attack god the way homosexuals get attacked around here. Unlike most on the right I'm tolerant of just about anything as I'm not a girly who gets easilly offended about everything. Shall we look at the threads and posts ripping gays? I didn't think so. I'm not saying its right or wrong but why care about something so much that doesn't really affect anyone, but the gays themselves.

Last edited by James420; 11-06-2011 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: m

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
My point is that the majority of those who oppose same-sex marriage do so on the grounds that marriage is thought to be sacrosanct to the church. Where/how that came about does not matter. That's how many people feel or this wouldn't even be a debate. Why must gays insist on calling it marriage that so clearly offends those who believe marriage to be a religious union of a man and woman?
Because marriage has changed meaning countless times, and just because it's primarily man and woman in this country doesn't make it the only option. 50 years ago, it was ONLY the same race. Many countries have had same-sex marriage for awhile, which means their definition of marriage is not only one man one woman.

Conservative Christians do not own marriage, nor do they have the right to dictate its meaning. And there is no such thing as the sanctity of marriage. Kim Kardashian's 72 day marriage proves that.

Since heterosexuals can't even uphold the value of marriage, they are giant hypocrites to tell gays they have no right to enjoy its benefits.

Those who support "traditional marriage" haven't the foggiest clue what that even means. They've invented their own definition based on their own personal opinion, not reality.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It couldnt be precisely because it offends others, could it? Oh no, no, no. Never. It's all about civil rights.

I Have a Dream.

Of Robert Mapplethorpe.
Interracial marriage offended 96% of the nation in the 50s. Should that still be illegal?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
No, what you personally want to call it idc and in the eyes of the church it is still the union of a man and woman.
This is a secular nation. The eyes of the church are irrelevant since the church has no power or authority over American citizens, and their marriage ceremonies are not legally binding.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Fighting for equal rights under the law must be combative. Lord knows minorities have been doing it for centuries!
We have equal rights. We all have the right to marry people of the opposite sex. We all don't have the right to marry people of the same sex.

Trying to change the definition of an institution such as marriage to include people of the same sex cheapens it. Marriage is traditionally between a man and a woman. Why do the gays feel the need to intrude in this institution and become combative when people are resistant to their demands? Would you feel resistance if someone tried to change a tradition that was important to you?

I have suggested in previous posts that the gays should have the same rights as married couples. But as far as calling it a marriage, no. Call it a same sex bond or something.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Why do gays insist on calling their partnerships marriage, which to most is a religious union of a man and woman? If they would stick with pushing for civil unions with the same legal benefits granted to married couples, they'd get a lot more support (or a lot less resistance).
I used to hold that point of view, but "civil unions" and "partnerships" are NOT equal to marriage. It's kind of like telling Blacks "You can ride on the bus but you have to sit in the back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
Why not? Some churches happily perform same-sex marriages. And the states and federal government happily recognize opposite-sex marriages (such as mine) that were conducted with no religious content whatsoever.
True. A few blocks up the street from my house is the Kol Tzedek Synagogue here in University City. The Rabbi there has and will marry a same-sex couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
Separate-but-(supposedly)-equal is soooooooooooooooo 20th century......
Precisely the point.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
We have equal rights. We all have the right to marry people of the opposite sex. We all don't have the right to marry people of the same sex.
In my view that is the stupidest of arguments. Gay people do not want to marry someone of the opposite gender, they want to marry the person they are in love with, the person they have built a life together with, the person they have a relationship with ... a relationship that deserves recognition and respect.

The stupid argument was exactly the same one used in the infamous Loving case that went to the US Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies