Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times

Advertisements

Make no mistake about one thing - I am not ungrateful! I thank God on a regular basis that I was born in the "Land of Opportunity" where, at least in theory, we all have the right to life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness & I am free to speak my mind whenever & wherever I choose - even if it may be unpopular!!!

Some people believe that questioning the status quo or the government, etc - is unpatriotic - but I believe it to be one of the highest forms of patriotism & gratitude. My father believed that he fought for me right to do so.

(on another note - whomever felt they had the right to take away rep points from me because they differ in opinion is not only wrong - but a coward to do so anonymously - check the rules - I have the right to differ from you - here & in this country)

Peace Out...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
Make no mistake about one thing - I am not ungrateful! I thank God on a regular basis that I was born in the "Land of Opportunity" where, at least in theory, we all have the right to life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness & I am free to speak my mind whenever & wherever I choose - even if it may be unpopular!!!

Some people believe that questioning the status quo or the government, etc - is unpatriotic - but I believe it to be one of the highest forms of patriotism & gratitude. My father believed that he fought for me right to do so.

(on another note - whomever felt they had the right to take away rep points from me because they differ in opinion is not only wrong - but a coward to do so anonymously - check the rules - I have the right to differ from you - here & in this country)

Peace Out...
What if someone just wants to put a little rebel flag on a grave site or in a cemetary? What if they just wanna use it on Confederate Memorial Day or a little logo on a license plate?

I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I have a great deal of respect for naturalized citizens, as may in-laws are Nicaraguan immigrants. However, you have to be joking? My wife just became a citizen last August. I went to all of the appointments with her. They didn't ask her any serious historical or current political knowledge of the US. You're definately embellishing what really happens or she was the only person who wasn't tested on their "depth of knowledge."

Specifically, they asked her "who was it that helped the Indians?" Exactly as I quoted it. Don't make it all dramatic when it's not that serious. The language thing is overblown as well. My mother-in-law could barely say hello in English when she became a citizen.

The ROTC building at my university is named after him.

I'm not at all exaggerating & I find it hard to believe that they allowed you to go in the appointment with her because it is against the rules unless you are her attorney. But, that is besides the point.

What folks need to study & how much is asked are not the same. The facts about the history of the US, our government, etc are more than the average citizen here knows. The interviews are short & I believe there are only 5 or so items that are actually asked or required - but, they have no idea what will be asked or required so they need to study it all.

Also, I've gone (sat in the waiting area) with a few people & talked to many others about what they were asked. There is a great degree of difference between what the interviewers require (within a set of parameters) & how flexible they are.

It is downright TOUGH on some & a slight breeze for others. Actually, anyone who wants to verify that I am being accurate can google the topic - there are flashcards, all sorts of resource lists of questions & helpful info for those wanting to take the test.

Personally, I don't think I struggled with any of the questions or items - but, after starting to tutour people I began to quiz folks (including have a blog post at one time seeing who knew the answers to some of the things). My son was in high school at the time & I had a rude awakening when quizzing many of the teens at his school (we are said to have an excellent education system in MN). A great many of the items stumped a great many - the majority of people I questioned.

Those wanting to become citizens have to also write a sentence that is said verbally - and most examiners will not repeat the question. Some count spelling & grammar more than others - some give no leeway at all. I can't remember all of what is required - but I stand on my initial assertion that it is a challenging thing to study/prepare for - especially knowing your status in this country is at stake & knowing that it could be possible that they will cart you out the door & into immigration holding for deportation (as, at least in this area - the testing is done in the same locale as where they make folks come for deportation - how's that for test anxiety?!

Another 50 cents worth...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
What if someone just wants to put a little rebel flag on a grave site or in a cemetary? What if they just wanna use it on Confederate Memorial Day or a little logo on a license plate?

I see nothing wrong with that.
Why did you quote me with your question / statement?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 AM

99 posts, read 198,581 times
Is someone seriously proposing to the group that during the conflict, the flag flown by union troops was NOT that of the United States? I find it mind-numbing that the 'discussion' being had simply slipped across that claim like a pigeon on ice. Is it actually being suggested here that in order for the flag to have been 'the American flag' it would have had 50 stars in 1862? Goodness!

And while I might pause to say that there is no such word as Amerikan, let me move on to report to you that last evening I attended our monthly Sons of Confederate Veterans meeting in Jackson at the Municipal Art Gallery. The meeting opened with a Christian prayer, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States. Next was the recitation of the salute to the Confederate flag, which is as follows: "I salute the Confederate Flag with affection, reverence, and undying devotion to the cause for which it stands. Deo Vindice." At the front of the room were three flags. The American flag stood in the middle and rose some six inches higher than those on either side, the flag of our state and a flag of the Confederacy. A hand painted portrait of Jefferson Davis stood on a respectful easel to the left.

The meeting continued with soulful renditions of several period-songs played by two elderly members with guitars. Then came the main program delivered by a gentleman from another camp, a man of at least 80 years; a lesson in history and these are always chilling stories that can keep you on the edge of your seat, stories of real men, their bravery, how they felt when struck by a musket ball, how they longed for their home and the arms of their wives and daughters, and often how simple their view was of why they might have been invaded and why indeed they took up arms.

Our meetings are respectful of both sides, never insulting, never contain any racial epithets or suggestions as to how one people were superior to another, always historical in purpose, and again, begin and end with allegiance to America and prayer offered up by a minister of the Gospel.

We welcome guests whether they be women, young folks, old folks, the curious, the doubters, the respectful, the passer-by or the Kanadian. All we require is your peaceful assembly, your silent respect for the program presenters, your consideration and tolerance for our reverence, a modicum of your understanding and your handshake. You will leave with pamphlets, simple gifts and a feeling of having just sat through a peaceful ceremony totally absent of hate and bigotry.

Our mission, our goal is to proffer the vindication of the cause for which our forbears fought, the guardianship of their history, the emulation of their virtues and the perpetuation of those principles which they loved and the ideals which made them glorious.

As the clever saying goes....."I guess you'd have to be there." It's on a much higher plane than "I hate the flag" or "You people are ignorant." Education is a wonderful concept.

Peace and invitations to all............Don

Last edited by Don D.; 08-29-2007 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
Was it a Hurricane Katrina rebuilding meeting?

Last edited by the_pines; 08-29-2007 at 05:03 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 04:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
::edited::

Last edited by the_pines; 08-29-2007 at 05:04 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
What's up with this new and popular use of the letter "K" ?

I AM NOT a "Kanadian"

Deliberately spelling the nations wrong when the posters seem to have otherwise good spelling seems to suggest the posters feel there's something messed up or not quite right about a particular nationality, a feeling that's equally as awkward and ugly as the mispelled word.

How would you like it if I insisted on spelling your states "Minnesoduh" or "Messysippi"?

*Is this supposed to done in a cute and joking manner then regarding this post "my bad,"
I'll deliberately screw up some of my spelling to play along.

(it just seemed to me that this topic was supposed to start a serious discussion)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 08-29-2007 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
Quote:
I'm not at all exaggerating & I find it hard to believe that they allowed you to go in the appointment with her because it is against the rules unless you are her attorney. But, that is besides the point.
You're right, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't go into the interview room with her - I stayed in the waiting room while she was interviewed. She informed me of what happened when she returned. My apologies for not being more accurate.

The rules are only as strict as those enforcing them. While you many have experienced those who are less flexible, I have met people who have experienced otherwise.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
ho hum... I'm just not expending any more energy on this one tonight. You make inaccurate & narrowminded assumptions above. Somethings, such as this topic, could be debated / discussed til the cows come home &, in the end, the majority of us would simply either leave frustrated or agree to disagree. I'll choose the latter & move along.

The Virtuous One (I AM laughing, btw)
I have learned that, on this topic, agreeing to disagree is about the best that can be hoped for in most cases. But at the same time always hope (and this usually turns out to be the case), that at least a few people with a totally negative view of the Confederate Flag, come away accepting that the majority of Southerners who display and take pride in it, do so out of sense of regional pride and heritage, not racist sentiments.

So far as the statement about (making) "innacurate & narrowminded assumptions", I was originally tempted to challenge and respond. BUT, after some thinking on the subject, I've no desire to see a thread which has heretofore been mostly respectful even if heated, erupt totally in flames. For that reason, I am perfectly content to let others, after reading all the posts, come to their own conclusions as to questions of content and tone being innacurate, narrowminded, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies