Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,753,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ482x View Post
how jaded some people really are
And you, sir, are truly jaded. Here's a statement for you: To the degree you condemn and find evil in others, you are to that degree unconscious of the same thing in yourself. - Carl Jung. I borrowed this statement from elsewhere, but it sums up your prejudice right nicely.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Default germ482x - is that a scientific name or what?

Quote:
Thanks for the 'statement', sir, but if you can't see what's wrong with the confederate flag then you, my friend, are the jaded one.

Prejudice toward what? The flag that represents hate, regressiveness, inequality, segregation and is truly a demeaning symbol of America's past?

Gosh, seems like most of you folks want another civil war.
Well, tell you what, why don't we use the three-kick rule. Look it up.

Me? Jaded? I have no qualms about the Confederate Flag. It is what it is, sir, a flag, that's all, in a nutshell. I've seen the CF on trucks from CT and trucks from every other state in the US, so it's not just a symbol from the South. There are times when I don't like it, but I don't make an issue of it. Some folks like to argue anything, like to write anything negative about something they know little about, other than superfluous BS they've picked up along the way.

You're about as funny as a funeral with your last statement. The South would probably kick your butt all the way back to CT should that event ever happen. Of course, it never will, for we are far to civilized to take up arms against each other, aren't we?

Opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has one. You've made your point: You don't like the Confederate Flag. Whoopee. Now you should let it ride, move on, get a life.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:25 PM

382 posts, read 951,882 times
Always bothers me when someone expresses that much hatred for something or someone they say represents hate.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Always bothers me when someone expresses that much hatred for something or someone they say represents hate.
That statement goes a loooooooooong way, covers a lot of ground, neighbor!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,156,148 times
Quote:
Obviously to express my "degrading and insulting" opinion on a "degrading and insulting" sad representation of culture.

If you want to have a debate about it - then please be my guest to challenge my OP to this thread. Don't just sit there after reading my opinion and say "meh, it's not worth it." So you tell me, is the confederate flag really worth defending?

Or, like anonymous, do you want to defend people's right to fly the flag? It's no different than flying the swastika.
I was going to respond to your original post but after this comment, I am not going to bother.

Quote:
I read a great deal of the thread as I pointed out in my OP to this thread - but for you to expect me to sit here and read 52 full pages of posts is absurd. I live in the Northeast - you know, the place with the highest amount of ADHD cases.
Why not read all 52 pages? If you expect us to rehash arguments we have already put forth would also be absurd.

And what does ADHD have to do with it unless you have it? Liz

Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,527,794 times
Quote:
I read a great deal of the thread as I pointed out in my OP to this thread - but for you to expect me to sit here and read 52 full pages of posts is absurd. I live in the Northeast - you know, the place with the highest amount of ADHD cases.
I am not sure sure about the number of ADHD cases in the great state of Connecticut...but I found this sub-link particulary interesting. Perhaps you should read it:

Slavery in Connecticut

In what be called a "preview", here is a blurb from it:

As in other Northern states, gradual emancipation freed no slaves at once. It simply set up slavery for a long-term natural death. Connecticut finally abolished slavery entirely in 1848. The 1800 census counted 951 Connecticut slaves; the number diminished thereafter to 25 in 1830, but then inexplicably rose to 54 in the 1840 census. After that, slaves were no longer counted in censuses for the northern states.

Connecticut disenfranchised blacks in 1818, but that was a mere formality. As in many other places in the North, there is no evidence that blacks ever dared attempt to vote in Connecticut, in colonial times or after the Revolution.

Now when you absorb all this historical information? Please come back and explain why the flag of the state of CT should not be hauled down and burned. As, from going by this well-researched article, it represents a state which has a history of an extremely appalling history of slavery and racism.

BUT...the the thing is though, sir, we Southerners are willing to forgive and forget. We are the type people who figure that, all of us, be it individual or region-wide, have monkeys on our backs. Most of all, we subscribe to the the ideal of live and let live. A Texan will let a resident of CN be CN if the favor is returned. Or Mississippi to New York. Or Tennessee to Michigan, or whatever.

Justify the flag of Connectiut, will you?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:15 PM

99 posts, read 197,955 times
[quote=TexasReb;1606721]I am not sure sure about the number of ADHD cases in the great state of Connecticut...but I found this sub-link particulary interesting. Perhaps you should read it:

Slavery in Connecticut

Connecticut finally abolished slavery entirely in 1848. The 1800 census counted 951 Connecticut slaves; the number diminished thereafter to 25 in 1830, but then inexplicably rose to 54 in the 1840 census. After that, slaves were no longer counted in censuses for the northern states.

Connecticut disenfranchised blacks in 1818, but that was a mere formality. As in many other places in the North, there is no evidence that blacks ever dared attempt to vote in Connecticut, in colonial times or after the Revolution.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Whoa and hold on Reb! The flaw in your recent argument is that you think we should gauge Connecticut against the Southern States when it is a fact that Connecticut had FEWER slaves. And as we all know, having LESS removes one from the argument altogether . Only those who had a certain number are considered in the overall discussion.......as surely is stated in the rules governing this thread.

But, I will wait for the Connecticuticion to sort through the question you posed. Surely there is a reasonable explanation.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Obviously to express my "degrading and insulting" opinion on a "degrading and insulting" sad representation of culture.

If you want to have a debate about it - then please be my guest to challenge my OP to this thread. Don't just sit there after reading my opinion and say "meh, it's not worth it." So you tell me, is the confederate flag really worth defending?

Or, like anonymous, do you want to defend people's right to fly the flag? It's no different than flying the swastika.
Consider this a gauntlet flung down as to discussing/debating the difference in Nazi Germany and the Confederate States of America. Also, what is there to "defend," as per the "right," to fly ANY flag? The First Ammendment and all protects that with no question.

And I am SURE you know that Southern boys and girls have always been dispropotionately represented in the United States armed forces. In fact, my grandfather, back in WWII? His unit, as I understand it, was one made up mostly of Texas and Alabama boys. And they used the Confederate Battle Flag as a regimental icon. It was because they were proud of their history and heritage and their OWN great- grandfathers fighting spirits. THEY are the men who kicked Nazi philosophy into scattered pieces.

Tell you what...go into some VFW bar sometime in Texas or Mississippi or North Carolina and compare the Confederate Battle Flag with the Nazi Flag. Hee Hee.

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-28-2007 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 09:03 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,722,500 times
okay, heres my opinion, whenever I see a confederate flag flying, I am ashamed of it that our country had something like that. i view it as a very negative thing. and don't go off on me for saying this, its just how i feel about a flag and its an opinon, its neither right or wrong

Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
okay, heres my opinion, whenever I see a confederate flag flying, I am ashamed of it that our country had something like that. i view it as a very negative thing. and don't go off on me for saying this, its just how i feel about a flag and its an opinon, its neither right or wrong
Billiam? I couldn't disagree with you more. And I strongly suggest that you read back over the posts concerning all things connected with the Confederate Battle Flag, its actual existence as relates to historical accuracy.

BUT...you are civil in making your case. Which is more than can be said of some others who feel the same way as you, do.

One other thing I can promise you is, none of us who feel differently, are going to "go off" on you. You seem to be one of the ones whose mind if open to examing all sides. And for that reason, you are to be respected!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies