Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
okay, heres my opinion, whenever I see a confederate flag flying, I am ashamed of it that our country had something like that. i view it as a very negative thing. and don't go off on me for saying this, its just how i feel about a flag and its an opinon, its neither right or wrong
I agree that you have a right to your opinion. I have a right to disagree with your opinion. Does that make me right and you wrong? No. Does that make me wrong and you right, no to that as well. What is does do is make us agree to disagree.

What I hope is that you do take time to read the rest of the thread with an open mind. It probably won't change your opinion but it may help you see our side. Liz

Old 09-29-2007, 03:32 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
How do I still feel about it? Still think it sucks.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:50 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I think it represents alot of racism from there which is branded on southern people to this day. Even though i live in Scotland we still hear of it. Not saying every single person from the south is racist but there are people who disgust us.

Every time i see that flag it reminds me of the KKK days, those rednecks who think they should rid the world of catholics, jews, blacks...you name it.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I think it represents alot of racism from there which is branded on southern people to this day. Even though i live in Scotland we still hear of it. Not saying every single person from the south is racist but there are people who disgust us.

Every time i see that flag it reminds me of the KKK days, those rednecks who think they should rid the world of catholics, jews, blacks...you name it.
You are aware, aren't you, Scotslass, that the basic design of Confederate Battle Flag was intentionally patterned after the St. Andrews Cross, as represented on the Flag of Scotland? This was in large part because a high percentage of Southerners were of Scots-Irish decent.

Here is a little article on the fact:

History of the Southern Flag

And by the way, and truly not trying to be a "smartass", but if you are suggesting that there are a high percentage of backward racist folks in the South, can the extension of logic be that it is come by honest? Just something to think about...

Old 09-29-2007, 10:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

I don't know if you read or watch the BBC news, but I read it frequently. The BBC news loves to portray Americans - the south in particular - as racists. They portray the KKK as being "widespread" throughout America, like some huge underground force - which obviously isn't true. I've lived my whole life in the south, and outside of TV I have never seen anything related to the klan.

Katrina was another example. Rather than give an unbiased analysis of what happened and why, they instead made it a "human interest" story. They omitted lots of relevant information, and chose to portray it as an expose on American racism.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
One of my fave Don Troiani paintings was "fighting for the colors". People died fighting for that flag in the painting (it was a true story for those of you who dont know much about the Civil War), thats how far some were willing to go to make sure that flag didnt fly anymore. To think that people were willing to die (and did!) to have that flag removed should speak volumes about how offensive some think it was. The flag in the painting now resides in a Michigan museum (I forget which), as it was taken from the rebs by a Michigan unit.
I am not sure how you make the connection between Union soldiers fighting for their cause (as they saw it) and, during the heat of a battle, preventing the Flag of the other side from being planted...and having it "removed" today.

However, since you brought up the subject? Perhaps you might be interested in reading the words of a resolution passed by the "Sons of Union Veterans" not so long ago. And? Interestingly enough, it was passed in Michigan. Here she be :

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

Resolution of Support
Battle Flag of the Confederacy

RESOLUTION OF SUPPORT
DISPLAY OF BATTLE FLAGS OF THE CONFEDERACY
119TH NATIONAL ENCAMPMENT OF THE
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
LANSING, MICHIGAN AUGUST 19, 2000

A resolution in support of the display of the Confederate Battle Flag.

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, condemn the use of the confederate battle flag, as well as the flag of the United States, by any and all hate groups; and

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, support the flying of the Confederate battle flag as a historical piece of this nation's history; and

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, oppose the removal of any Confederate monuments or markers to those gallant soldiers in the former Confederate States, and strongly oppose the removal of ANY reminders of this nation's bloodiest war on the grounds of it being "politically correct;" and

WHEREAS, we, as the descendants of Union soldiers and sailors who as members of the Grand Army of the Republic met in joint reunions with the Confederate veterans under both flags in those bonds of Fraternal Friendship, pledge our support and admiration for those gallant soldiers and of their respective flags;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War in 119th Annual National Encampment, hereby adopt this resolution.

Dated in Lansing, Michigan, on this nineteenth day of August, in the year of our Lord Two thousand.

Here is the main link, by the way: SUVCW Battle Flag Resolution

Gosh, ain't tolerance hell?

Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
Whoa and hold on Reb! The flaw in your recent argument is that you think we should gauge Connecticut against the Southern States when it is a fact that Connecticut had FEWER slaves. And as we all know, having LESS removes one from the argument altogether . Only those who had a certain number are considered in the overall discussion.......as surely is stated in the rules governing this thread.
Sometimes I forget the double-standards of history, compatriot Don. Bad habit of mine. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am not sure how you make the connection between Union soldiers fighting for their cause (as they saw it) and, during the heat of a battle, preventing the Flag of the other side from being planted...and having it "removed" today.

However, since you brought up the subject? Perhaps you might be interested in reading the words of a resolution passed by the "Sons of Union Veterans" not so long ago. And? Interestingly enough, it was passed in Michigan. Here she be :

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

Resolution of Support
Battle Flag of the Confederacy

RESOLUTION OF SUPPORT
DISPLAY OF BATTLE FLAGS OF THE CONFEDERACY
119TH NATIONAL ENCAMPMENT OF THE
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
LANSING, MICHIGAN AUGUST 19, 2000

A resolution in support of the display of the Confederate Battle Flag.

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, condemn the use of the confederate battle flag, as well as the flag of the United States, by any and all hate groups; and

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, support the flying of the Confederate battle flag as a historical piece of this nation's history; and

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, oppose the removal of any Confederate monuments or markers to those gallant soldiers in the former Confederate States, and strongly oppose the removal of ANY reminders of this nation's bloodiest war on the grounds of it being "politically correct;" and

WHEREAS, we, as the descendants of Union soldiers and sailors who as members of the Grand Army of the Republic met in joint reunions with the Confederate veterans under both flags in those bonds of Fraternal Friendship, pledge our support and admiration for those gallant soldiers and of their respective flags;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War in 119th Annual National Encampment, hereby adopt this resolution.

Dated in Lansing, Michigan, on this nineteenth day of August, in the year of our Lord Two thousand.

Well, its official, Michigan is retarded.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:06 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:

Welp, all I can say is: That's a wrap, folks!

Old 09-29-2007, 03:20 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
You are aware, aren't you, Scotslass, that the basic design of Confederate Battle Flag was intentionally patterned after the St. Andrews Cross, as represented on the Flag of Scotland? This was in large part because a high percentage of Southerners were of Scots-Irish decent.

Here is a little article on the fact:

History of the Southern Flag

And by the way, and truly not trying to be a "smartass", but if you are suggesting that there are a high percentage of backward racist folks in the South, can the extension of logic be that it is come by honest? Just something to think about...
Yes they used the flag and it reminds me of racism. I already knew the flag was based on mine, its kinda obvious though alot of black people hate it because of the past.

Off the record, its funny that racism is based off some peoples religious view. The southerners always mention the bible as "white men are supposed to rule this earth" and blab about god. It makes me angry because i am a Chrisitan and hearing southerners say that is just ridiculous and scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies