Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 03:25 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The southerners always mention the bible as "white men are supposed to rule this earth" and blab about god. It makes me angry because i am a Chrisitan and hearing southerners say that is just ridiculous and scary.
Okay, now that is a generality that isn't true. That's like saying all Scots are drunks. Liz

Old 09-29-2007, 03:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Okay, now that is a generality that isn't true. That's like saying all Scots are drunks. Liz
They're not?

What sober man would wear a skirt?

Old 09-29-2007, 03:38 PM

537 posts, read 441,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I think it represents alot of racism from there which is branded on southern people to this day. Even though i live in Scotland we still hear of it. Not saying every single person from the south is racist but there are people who disgust us.

Every time i see that flag it reminds me of the KKK days, those rednecks who think they should rid the world of catholics, jews, blacks...you name it.
I understand what you are saying but you must realize that if all you do is think of racism and the KKK and such then you know very little of the true history of the flag. I have great pride in all of the Confederate flags, as I do for all flags of this country. What the heck do all of you think of the Gadsden flag? Do you even know what it is? Do you understand how the Confederate flag cam e about? Do you even realize that the one all people seem to hate is not the flag that stood for the Confederacy as a whole of the South? What you hate and don't understand happens to be the battle flag of the The War for Southern Independence. I won't go into it all here but I sincerely wish that people would research their history before talking about something they seem to know so little about and where it came from and why.

Last edited by Veiled Prophet; 09-29-2007 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-29-2007, 03:46 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Quote:
I have great pride in all of the Confederate flags, as I do for all flags of this country. What the heck do all of you think of the Gadsden flag? Do you even know what it is? Do you understand how the Confederate flag cam e about? Do you even realize that the one all people seem to hate is not the flag that stood for the Confederacy as a whole of the South? What you hate and don't understand happens to be the battle flag of the The War for Southern Independence. I won't go into it all here but I sincerely wish that people would research their history before talking about something they seem to know so little about and where it came from and why.
Most of the ones who have posted here are too busy adding their .02 cents to bother reading thru the posts that many of us have provided that detail the history of the flag, the South, the Confederacy, Succession, and The War for Southern Independence.

They claim that they don't have time or it's not important. There have been several of us who have provided many links to solid research here but it keeps getting ignored.

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Liz

Old 09-29-2007, 03:54 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
You know whats funny.. is everyone has forgotten that the Texas flag is also a confederate flag. How do you feel about the Texas flag?

Old 09-29-2007, 03:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
I understand what you are saying but you must realize that if all you do is think of racism and the KKK and such then you know very little of the trut history of the flag. I have great pride in all of the Confederate flags, as I do for all flags of this country. What the heck do all of you think of the Gadsden flag? Do you even know what it is? Do you understand how the Confederate flag cam e about? Do you even realize that the one all people seem to hate is not the flag that stood for the Confederacy as a whole of the South? What you hate and don't understand happens to be the battle flag of the The War for Southern Independence. I won't go into it all here but I sincerely wish that people would research their history before talking about something they seem to know so little about and where it came from and why.
Well said, VP. And this has been covered in past posts on this thread. That is, the the Flag most commonly considered the "Confederate Flag" was never the official standard of the Confederate States of America.

Rather, it was just that. A "Battle Flag" ..and there were many variations on it. Originally, it was a square design, and used by the Army of Northern Virginia. Later, it caught on and the many armies/regiments/companies/etc adopted their own versions. The rectangular one is the most associated today...although it was actually the Confederate "Navy Jack" and the banner of the Army of Tennessee. Texas units often carried one with enlarged center stars (representing the Lone Star State). Here is a good link on the subject:

Confederate Flag

Old 09-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Yes they used the flag and it reminds me of racism. I already knew the flag was based on mine, its kinda obvious though alot of black people hate it because of the past.

Off the record, its funny that racism is based off some peoples religious view. The southerners always mention the bible as "white men are supposed to rule this earth" and blab about god. It makes me angry because i am a Chrisitan and hearing southerners say that is just ridiculous and scary.

What do you mean when you say "the southerners"? Are you implying that those of us from the Southern United States are more uniformly "racist" (whatever that means) than those from any other part of the world. Please explain this, and how you come about such a belief. Are you aware that, according to most opinion polls, that it is in the South where black and white people express the most optomistic thougts as concerns race relations? What do even KNOW about the South, other than what you have read in....???

Old 09-29-2007, 04:02 PM

537 posts, read 441,298 times
Right you are TexasReb. I hate the fact that all that seems to be taught in schools these days seems to be nothing but PC crap and out and out LIES about the South, about the whys and wherefores about how the War for Southern Independence was started. It was not a civil war because the states had already seceeded and that means that they were no longer part of the un ion and therefore could not have been partt of any civil war.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
You know whats funny.. is everyone has forgotten that the Texas flag is also a confederate flag. How do you feel about the Texas flag?
Check this one out, fellow Texan! All y'all, for that matter.

Lee's Texans (Don Troiani Prints) at Sidmore Antiques

Or THIS one:

Don Troiani - Civil War Print - LONE STAR - (eBay item 170152733488 end time Oct-01-07 16:52:48 PDT) (broken link)

Hot damn! Somebody fetch me a musket!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM

99 posts, read 198,554 times
Let's get to basics. What's the word prejudice mean? I assume it means the same in Scotland as it means in America. It means prior judgment or judging absent facts or truth or knowledge; an opinion or judgement formed before the facts are known; preconceived idea, usually unfavorable and more often opposite the truth. The person who claims to be from Scotland has no factual basis for her commentary, therefore, she is prejudiced. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although I'm Scots-Irish, I've never worn a skirt (well, to my recollection). And what if I were to judge that activity.....or form an opinion of it absent facts or knowledge. Lord only knows what I might come up with.

Where's that head-banging-on-brick-wall icon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies