Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were driving around today, looking at neighborhoods we might buy a home in. In a driveway we saw a car parked with a Confederate flag sticker on it. My husband said, "No way am I living in a neighborhood where someone has a Confederate flag displayed." I don't want to live around racist people either, but perhaps the person isn't racist, but is just really into the Civil War. And also I think it's impossible to find a neighborhood without any racist people, so unless every house has the Confederate flag hanging up, there is no reason to believe this neighborhood has more racist people than any other neighborhood.
What does the Confederate flag mean to you?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:19 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
I'm from Richmond and its not racist but for people who like to honor their ancestors.

Your husband sounds more biggoted than most people who do use the flag as racism.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Not a fan of it. The only flag I support is the American flag. That's it. No confederacies, no could-of-been's, no lost causes. Stars and Stripes, or no flag at all.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I agree with Vegas. The only flag we should have room for is the Stars and Stripes and our own state flag. We are supposed to be a united country. If someone wants to honor their ancestors, take flowers to their resting place.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Not a fan of it. The only flag I support is the American flag. That's it. No confederacies, no could-of-been's, no lost causes. Stars and Stripes, or no flag at all.
I love the American flag with all my heart. I also love the Confederate flag too but I use this one:

I put a small flag over some of my ancestors who died for their country. Virginia.

I'm a Virginian first, and foremost. American 2nd.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Personally, I'm indifferent to its symbolism. I just don't care; but I can say that it's not a "racist statement" by all. Although not common, I've seen African American motorcyclists ride w/the confederate flag. Some people fly it as "redneck/good 'ole boy" type symbol - they typcially like to hunt, fish, work on cars, and are often very conservative. Do some use it as a racist statement? Of course, but not all.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I am Asian American and here's my take on it. Its not my position to judge white Southerners who say it reflects their pride in their history which includes more than slavery and racism since I'm not from the South. However, I've read in the news about people in the North flying the flag during protests against illegal immigrants to show their Americanness. Now that has a tinge of racism to it. I hate illegal immigrants just like everyone else but giving it a racial dimension is not right.

Having said this, yes, I guess there's only space for the Stars and Stripes but if I've south of the Mason-Dixon Line, which includes here in Maryland, a Confederate flag is much less distasteful than people waving Mexican or other foreign flags here. At least the Confederacy is part of the past, when people wave foreign flags, they are supporting non-American nations that exist today which is more dangerous.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I am Asian American and here's my take on it. Its not my position to judge white Southerners who say it reflects their pride in their history which includes more than slavery and racism since I'm not from the South. However, I've read in the news about people in the North flying the flag during protests against illegal immigrants to show their Americanness. Now that has a tinge of racism to it. I hate illegal immigrants just like everyone else but giving it a racial dimension is not right.

Having said this, yes, I guess there's only space for the Stars and Stripes but if I've south of the Mason-Dixon Line, which includes here in Maryland, a Confederate flag is much less distasteful than people waving Mexican or other foreign flags here. At least the Confederacy is part of the past, when people wave foreign flags, they are supporting non-American nations that exist today which is more dangerous.
I concur with your sentiments. I also though feel that any flag can be used for which way the person sees it. The American flag can be used as symbol of racism as well.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Don't like it one bit.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM

382 posts, read 954,227 times
Last time I checked we are still free to express ourselves in this country. If we are going to let illegals wave their Mexican flags in protest, then what difference should it make for someone waving a confederate flag? Not everyone who waves or displays are confederate flag is a racist. What are you afraid of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.