Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The fact of the matter is Joe Paterno was a recipient of heresay. His testimony would not even be allowed in a court of law. Potentially destroying someone's life over heresay is a big deal. He did not witness the event and moved the allegations up the chain of command.

Frankly if a young man came to me and said he witnessed another man raping a child my first question to him would be why didn't you intervene?
It seems unfathomable that a man can witness such an act and not be immediately revolted into action. I would conclude that he is either lying or not telling the truth and would put the onus back on him to report it to the police since he witnessed it.
You need to read this article, especially the grand jury report (if you can stand it)

Penn State Trustees: Paterno's Firing Is In School's 'Best Interest' : The Two-Way : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is Joe Paterno was a recipient of heresay. His testimony would not even be allowed in a court of law. Potentially destroying someone's life over heresay is a big deal. He did not witness the event and moved the allegations up the chain of command.

Frankly if a young man came to me and said he witnessed another man raping a child my first question to him would be why didn't you intervene?
It seems unfathomable that a man can witness such an act and not be immediately revolted into action. I would conclude that he is either lying or not telling the truth and would put the onus back on him to report it to the police since he witnessed it.
What about the onus that is on you, now that you've been told that someone you work with closely is under any type of suspicion for this kind of act that we all know is only ever the tip of the iceberg?

Do you follow up? Do you confront your colleague? Do you go have a beer with him and forget about it? Do you think for a minute about the charity that he runs that brings him into contact with all those vulnerable young men and the implications of that? Or do you conveniently, as you suggest, put the onus on the witness-er only?

I'm sorry, but once you've been told and reported it, surely you would wonder why nothing further has happened - and you would, if you weren't complicit in the cover-up, make sure that the allegations were false before you put the onus on somebody else?

Surely once you KNOW, the onus is on YOU.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What about the onus that is on you, now that you've been told that someone you work with closely is under any type of suspicion for this kind of act that we all know is only ever the tip of the iceberg?

Do you follow up? Do you confront your colleague? Do you go have a beer with him and forget about it? Do you think for a minute about the charity that he runs that brings him into contact with all those vulnerable young men and the implications of that? Or do you conveniently, as you suggest, put the onus on the witness-er only?

I'm sorry, but once you've been told and reported it, surely you would wonder why nothing further has happened - and you would, if you weren't complicit in the cover-up, make sure that the allegations were false before you put the onus on somebody else?

Surely once you KNOW, the onus is on YOU.
Have you ever played the telephone game as a child? There is a reason why hearsay is nonadmissable in a court of law. Personally what I would do is agree to accompany the individual who told me this to the authorities.

Now I see what you're saying about following up and that's an aspect of this case I have an issue with as well. I guess in Paterno's defense in this regard he might have assumed since nothing happened to Sandusky that the charges were investigated and were without merit.

There have been cases of false child abuse reports that ended up ruining the lives of many people.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Have you ever played the telephone game as a child? There is a reason why hearsay is nonadmissable in a court of law. Personally what I would do is agree to accompany the individual who told me this to the authorities.

Now I see what you're saying about following up and that's an aspect of this case I have an issue with as well. I guess in Paterno's defense in this regard he might have assumed since nothing happened to Sandusky that the charges were investigated and were without merit.

There have been cases of false child abuse reports that ended up ruining the lives of many people.
There have, but this does not seem to be one of them. I wish all the doubters would stop posting for ten minutes and read the grand jury report.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:04 AM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

Fair Point that Macreary should have intervened, but he still doesn't get a by, fact is it was reported to Paterno and he did the minimum. Addtionally you are only focusing on one incident in 2002, this had already been going on for close to 10 years.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM

181 posts, read 234,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
His employee(Sandusky) is his responsibility. And the report from the other coach is not second hand. The guy saw Sandusky raping the kid in the shower, he did not hear it from someone else.

Those poor kids thought they were going to spend a magical day with all of the great football players they idolize. Instead, they have their life forever altered by a sedistic poor excuse for a man named Sandusky.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Said Sandusky to the Paterno in the company of the 10 year old, "We've got everything riding on this".
This is the epitome of poor taste and there is absolutely nothing funny about the sexual exploitation of children.

You are the problem.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There have, but this does not seem to be one of them. I wish all the doubters would stop posting for ten minutes and read the grand jury report.
Anyone who hasn't read the GJ report doesn't know the big picture. To help them, link---

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF

The 2002 molestation wasn't the 1st or last incident with Sandusky. In my Opinion, Paterno Knew Sandusky is a molester.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Point taken I will read it during lunch.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Well I found this via hotair.com

Looks like this story may take a more disgusting turn if that's even possible.

Jerry Sandusky Rumored to Have Been 'Pimping Out Young Boys to Rich Donors,' Says Mark Madden - College Football - NESN.com

Quote:
In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.
On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.
What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.
"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies