Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

He was told about a rape including the identity of the rapist. That is a violent crime and transcends an employer chain of command. If he had been told that Sandusky was giving money to recruits, then his actions would have been appropriate. It wold have been fine to tell the people he told as long as he told the police as well. The assistant should have done the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Have you ever played the telephone game as a child? There is a reason why hearsay is nonadmissable in a court of law. Personally what I would do is agree to accompany the individual who told me this to the authorities.

Now I see what you're saying about following up and that's an aspect of this case I have an issue with as well. I guess in Paterno's defense in this regard he might have assumed since nothing happened to Sandusky that the charges were investigated and were without merit.

There have been cases of false child abuse reports that ended up ruining the lives of many people.
Yes, and that brings up another aspect. Why then, did Paterno not make sure that these allegations were not falsely defaming and ruining the life and/or reputation of his colleague and the program to which they had both dedicated themselves?

Would it not be prudent to make sure that this supposed 'hearsay' was put in it's place, if it was indeed inaccurate?

If somebody was saying that about somebody that you entrusted your STUDENTS to, would you not want to exonerate them for the sake of your charges, and for the sake of the institution that you coach for?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Let's get back to the heterosexual pervert slimeball named Sandusky and ....

what about his family....they didn't have a clue????? Oh, really....
Sandusky currently has a PFA against him barring him from contact with his grandchildren.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
He was told about a rape including the identity of the rapist. That is a violent crime and transcends an employer chain of command. If he had been told that Sandusky was giving money to recruits, then his actions would have been appropriate. It wold have been fine to tell the people he told as long as he told the police as well. The assistant should have done the same.
This^

And the fact is that (as stated in the GJ report) Paterno committed a crime when he was made aware of the "allegation" and failed to report it to the authorities. Another disgusting example that shows that the importance of "the program" trumps all.

Joe's response: "Pray a LITTLE for the victim". Really? And people are defending him? REALLY?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Mike McQueary Will Coach Penn State On Saturday

Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
*shakes head*

Frankly, out of everyone involved not named Sandusky, I don't see how this guy can look at himself in the mirror. If he was my position coach, I'm not even sure I could play for him. Ugh.

Last edited by carolinacool; 11-10-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I assume this link to the grand jury report is somewhere on this thread, but I could not readily find it.

Grand jury report in PSU child sex case - Graphic content | 6abc.com

Sometimes, the crime of omission (as in Joe Paterno not calling the police when the graduate assistant told him what he saw, but simply calling the athletic director and saying 'take care of this') can be as bad as the crime of commission.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is Joe Paterno was a recipient of heresay. His testimony would not even be allowed in a court of law. Potentially destroying someone's life over heresay is a big deal. He did not witness the event and moved the allegations up the chain of command.

Frankly if a young man came to me and said he witnessed another man raping a child my first question to him would be why didn't you intervene?
It seems unfathomable that a man can witness such an act and not be immediately revolted into action. I would conclude that he is either lying or not telling the truth and would put the onus back on him to report it to the police since he witnessed it.
I believe this as well, my question is why is he still working and JoePa gets fired? I still do not understand why the person who seen it and reported it but did nothing is still there meanwhile Paterno did exactly what Mcqueary did and just reported it further up the chain and is fired?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Well I found this via hotair.com

Looks like this story may take a more disgusting turn if that's even possible.

Jerry Sandusky Rumored to Have Been 'Pimping Out Young Boys to Rich Donors,' Says Mark Madden - College Football - NESN.com

Just shows that when you kick over those big rocks, all sorts of ugly and nasty things crawl out from under it....

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I assume this link to the grand jury report is somewhere on this thread, but I could not readily find it.

Grand jury report in PSU child sex case - Graphic content | 6abc.com

Sometimes, the crime of omission (as in Joe Paterno not calling the police when the graduate assistant told him what he saw, but simply calling the athletic director and saying 'take care of this') can be as bad as the crime of commission.
Did you read the report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies