Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
The moderators should have giving you a warning or timeout for your last sentence.
I think the poster was using an analogy to point out how simply barring old men from young boys could be problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Twenty eight? So a 28 year old man seeing a boy assaulted by an older man can't pick up the phone and call 911? Can't shout something like, "leave him alone!"? Don't they have weights and dumbbells laying around there he could have bashed the perv's head in.

Yet his first call is to his dad and now he is a coach at Penn St. but Paterno gets fired.
Sad, isn't it? But it speaks to the culture in the athletic department - the witness pretty clearly had a career riding on staying on Paterno's good side.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Here is my two cents on the whole situation and then I'm outta here;

Joe Paterno did the standard right thing in reporting the act to his superior, so I think legally he fulfilled his obligation and should have no charges against him.

However I think in this situation Paterno should have gone further to make sure this was dealt with correctly, therefore I think there is probable cause to terminate him and I think Paterno erred by not going above and beyond in this case.

Paterno's legacy is going to be stained and I think deservedly so for not pursuing the situation further.

I think most rational PSU students are sad about the situation and want to support Joe but understand what had to happen.
He did what he was supposed to do but failed to do what he needed to do!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I think the poster was using an analogy to point out how simply barring old men from young boys could be problematic.
Yeah, I don't blame the poster. I was cutting it a little close with the analogy. But I figured no one would read the post anyway. After all, it's a few characters longer than the average tweet.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Default It gets worse....young boys pimped out to rich donors?

Jerry Sandusky Rumored to Have Been 'Pimping Out Young Boys to Rich Donors,' Says Mark Madden - College Football - NESN.com

Quote:
"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
He did what he was supposed to do but failed to do what he needed to do!
Exactly!

Something that keeps nagging at me: if Sandusky was 'retired' in 1999, how is it that he still had free access to the locker rooms in 2002?

And something else I read, though of course complete conjecture: apparently the witness and now assistant coach was very good friends with Sandusky's son growing up. This person speculated that maybe he himself was a victim and hence had a flight response when he witnessed the attack.

Needless to say, I think that the muck is miles deep.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
How high up and how far reaching into what realms will this lead? I just hope the investigation is pursued bravely and diligently; I imagine there may be some real resistance if not dangers ahead for those pursuing the whole truth and all involved.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly!

Something that keeps nagging at me: if Sandusky was 'retired' in 1999, how is it that he still had free access to the locker rooms in 2002?
Coach emeritus.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Do you think that the University's response would have been different if there was a female involved somewhere in a leadership position. Say that this graduate assistant (now coach) who witnessed the event had reported it to a female assistant athletic director (I don't even know if there is one, I'm jsut speculating). Do you think a female's response would have been different?

I think it is interesting that the two "industries" who thus far have engaged in such scandalous cover-up of the sexual abuse of children are both industries that are almost completely male dominated: College Football and the priesthood.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Do you think that the University's response would have been different if there was a female involved somewhere in a leadership position. Say that this graduate assistant (now coach) who witnessed the event had reported it to a female assistant athletic director (I don't even know if there is one, I'm jsut speculating). Do you think a female's response would have been different?

I think it is interesting that the two "industries" who thus far have engaged in such scandalous cover-up of the sexual abuse of children are both industries that are almost completely male dominated: College Football and the priesthood.
Why hijack the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies