Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

UMDNJ to stop requiring nurses to assist with abortions if they object on religious grounds | NJ.com

"A group of nurses filed suit last week against the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, claiming the hospital required them to undergo training that involved assisting in the procedure."

I don't believe in most abortions on a fundamental level. However, this nonsense needs to stop. If doing your jobs offends some kind of deep political, religious or personal belief then you need to find a new job. Stop suing people and demanding that you are entitled to special treatment because you don't want to do something. That's like applying for a weekend job and then telling suing them if they try to get you to come in on Sunday (or Saturday, depending on your beliefs). Abortion is still legal, so if you don't want to have anything to do with abortion then don't take a job as an OB nurse at a hospital that performs abortions. It's really a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
As a health care professional your personal beliefs should not stop you from delivering care.

If I was a Jewish doc and a big ol' supremist rolled in with a swastika, guess what? The Jewish doc does his job, without question because that's a caregiver's duty.

This is up there with pharmacists who refused to hand out the morning after pill- do your job- rack up the pills- save the commentary.

If your religious beliefs prevent you from assisting- then you need a different job- med/surg floor nursing or what not.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-06-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
UMDNJ to stop requiring nurses to assist with abortions if they object on religious grounds | NJ.com

"A group of nurses filed suit last week against the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, claiming the hospital required them to undergo training that involved assisting in the procedure."

I don't believe in most abortions on a fundamental level. However, this nonsense needs to stop. If doing your jobs offends some kind of deep political, religious or personal belief then you need to find a new job. Stop suing people and demanding that you are entitled to special treatment because you don't want to do something. That's like applying for a weekend job and then telling suing them if they try to get you to come in on Sunday (or Saturday, depending on your beliefs). Abortion is still legal, so if you don't want to have anything to do with abortion then don't take a job as an OB nurse at a hospital that performs abortions. It's really a no-brainer.
You don't know the whole story. These were nurses who were not previously in a position to assist in abortions such as charge nurses, resource nurses, etc. They were told that as they were "Management" that they would be required to participate or be fired. You know what? I'd sue the crap out of them too. If someone told me, an ER/OPD nurse, that I was required to assist in abortions I'd tell them to bend over and pucker up because that is not the job I applied for, interviewed for, or was hired for. My nursing oath did not include anything about assisting in a procedure that I may a have a fundamental opposition to.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
As a health care professional your personal beliefs should not stop you from delivering care.

If I was a Jewish doc and a big ol' supremist rolled in with a swastika, guess what? The Jewish doc does his job, without question because that's a caregiver's duty.

This is up there with pharmacists who refused to hand out the morning after pill- do your job- rack up the pills- save the commentary.

If your religious beliefs prevent you from assisting- then you need a different job- med/surg floor nursing or what not.
Completely different situation. You provide the care to the patient in an emergency, regardless of who they are. Being forced to assist in an elective procedure you don't agree with is a completely different animal. Unless there is a medical necessity for the abortion (save the life of the mother) then it is an elective procedure,

Old 11-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
You don't know the whole story. These were nurses who were not previously in a position to assist in abortions such as charge nurses, resource nurses, etc. They were told that as they were "Management" that they would be required to participate or be fired. You know what? I'd sue the crap out of them too. If someone told me, an ER/OPD nurse, that I was required to assist in abortions I'd tell them to bend over and pucker up because that is not the job I applied for, interviewed for, or was hired for. My nursing oath did not include anything about assisting in a procedure that I may a have a fundamental opposition to.
Your nursing oath was to be a nurse- this is a medical procedure- this is a political decision that would be stopping you from performing your duty and thus, not professional in my opinion.

I understand opposition to the topic. If you were a floor nurse, PACU, whatever- you wouldn't be in the OR hopefully.

However, I prefer to lead by consensus than force, so I'd try to have a 1st assist I could trust on these and not ask anyone to do anything they were uncomfortable with.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Crap! Complete and utter crap! Your oath holds no more sanctity than the oath of the doctors involved and for you to imply as management you "didn't sign up for this job" is just more crap! Elitist, religious cop out crap!

You are not the one to judge the merit behind an abortion. Your JOB starts and ends providing the care deemed necessary by a physician UNLESS that care is counter to the good health and well being of the patient.

You put yourself on that pedestal of having a higher moral obligation than other members of society and you're playing the god game.

Religious bigotry at it's finest!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
From what I understand they were nurses working in the same-day surgery unit. If you're working in same-day surgery then you expected to assist patients who are having surgery. I would agree if they pulled a random ED nurse to perform an abortion, but that would be more of a scope of practice issue. An ED nurse would still be obligated to assist a patient who presents to the ED with complications stemming from an abortion procedure.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Generally 'I don't feel comfortable' is code for insurrection.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If doing your jobs offends some kind of deep political, religious or personal belief then you need to find a new job.
Exactly, the only time an employee should have grounds to refuse do work requested of them is if it's unsafe or illegal.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
If it's in their job description either explicitly or implicitly, then they need to either do their job or resign and go into a different field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies