Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM

33 posts, read 26,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you make the decision to walk into a bar that allows smoking at what point is anyone forcing you do anything?
Faulty argument, I would not make that decision, hence why I choose non-smoking bars. But everyone should have the option of not breathing in someone elses particulate cigarette matter at their apartment building. Just as everyone has the option of not being woken up at 3 o'clock in the morning by loud music, thanks to a sound ordinance. It is not your private residence, it is a shared residence, with shared expectation of respecting other peoples space and health. It's called the consensus of civil living. Too bad you only believe certain aspects of that concept should apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hell, why stop there? Let's outlaw amusement parks, sky diving, rock climbing, bungy jumping, driving, flying, swimming, ect, ect.. all pose risks, and hazards to your health. Let's ban EVERYTHING, and sit in the corner and cry! That is where we're heading.
Faulty argument, you are allowed to take liberty with risking your OWN health, not other peoples health as is the case any time someone breathes in the particulate matter of your second hand smoke. That is the point of the ordinance. And it is based on medical consensus, not opinion.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_extinguish_smokers View Post
Faulty argument, I would not make that decision, hence why I choose non-smoking bars. But everyone should have the option of not breathing in someone elses particulate cigarette matter at their apartment building.
Just as we have bars that ban smoking is there not housing facilities that ban smoking? You do have the choice without government interference to live somewhere that doesn't allow smoking?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I would only be hypocritical if I didn't firmly argue against the ever increasing amount that government interferes with our lives. I would suggest there is far too many laws/rules/regualtions and smoking bans inside private living spaces crosses the line into the absurd.

If we want an example of hypocrisy it would be someone arguing that stripping the rights of people to make their own decisons is perfectly fine because it insures their rights.... a right as I already noted you have because it's you that makes the decision to go to somewhere that allows smoking.
There are certain civil ordinances though, which are very helpful at maintaining sanity in society, such as no loud music in apartment complexes, as per sound ordinance laws issued forth from the federal level. Are you proclaiming a problem with this? If not, then you ought not to claim a problem when, at the federal level, people are prohibited from forcing a habit on other's that can drastically effect their health and well being.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Just as we have bars that ban smoking is there not housing facilities that ban smoking? You do have the choice without government interference to live somewhere that doesn't allow smoking?
I don't have the choice to blast my music at 3 o clock in the morning and keep you awake, thanks to federal ordinances. Do you mind that?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
There are certain civil ordinances though, which are very helpful at maintaining sanity in society, such as no loud music in apartment complexes, as per sound ordinance laws issued forth from the federal level.
I live in area that is very quiet because I enjoy it being quiet, the noise level here has nothing to do with laws or regulations. I certainly wouldn't have moved into a noisy neighborhood and insist they change their ways so I could have peace and quiet.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hell, why stop there? Let's outlaw amusement parks, sky diving, rock climbing, bungy jumping, driving, flying, swimming, ect, ect.. all pose risks, and hazards to your health. Let's ban EVERYTHING, and sit in the corner and cry! That is where we're heading.
Absolute garbage.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Faulty argument, you are allowed to take liberty with risking your OWN health, not other peoples health as is the case any time someone breathes in the particulate matter of your second hand smoke. That is the point of the ordinance. And it is based on medical consensus, not opinion.

Again, I as a smoker have to go outside to smoke in my own DAMN home, as well as at work! The day you tell me that I cannot smoke in my car, home, or outside in the open air, is the day you get my middle finger in your face! And that is where you anti-smoking Nazis are pushing for! It isn't enough that you want to ban smoking in restaurants, and bars (which BTW SHOULD be at the owner's discretion with proper signage stating enter at your own risk or something along those lines, as it is HIS/HER establishment), but now you want to ban it in outdoor public places. Smokers have made those concessions of going outside to respect the wishes of non-smokers, yet that isn't enough for you! Just admit that you're happy with the nanny state, and you're into controlling others, because you don't like the choices that they make.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I live in area that is very quiet because I enjoy it being quiet, the noise level here has nothing to do with laws or regulations. I certainly wouldn't have moved into a noisy neighborhood and insist they change their ways so I could have peace and quiet.
Oh be real, in an apartment complex there would be utter chaos without such ordinances. Nobody would get any sleep, or get to work or school the following day. And in this country, a lot of people do not have the finances to have their own private residences. We re not talking about noisy neighborhoods, you can have a very quiet neighborhood where one or two people in your complex keep everyone awake at night. Again, faulty argument.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Absolute garbage.

Oh really? Tell me how we're not? So you are another nanny state supporter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies