Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times

Advertisements

"The Compton City Council has unanimously approved an aggressive smoking ban that its backers call the most restrictive in the state. By Jan. 1, 2013, it will call for persons living in multi-unit residences to refrain from smoking inside their own living quarters."

Instead of the knee-jerk reactions usually posted on smoking ban threads here on this forum -- I admit I'm culpable with my own predictable replies since I abhor smoking -- let's imagine this scenario:

The upstairs/next-door/downstairs neighbor in your apartment complex has complained that your cigarette smoke is infiltrating their living space. Would you agree to refrain from smoking in your apartment in the absence of this kind of restrictive ban? Would you move if this kind of ban went into effect at your complex -- or would you quit the habit?

I predict Compton will be at the forefront of a wave of smoking bans in multi-unit residences. (I will now refrain from making any comment about how long it's going to take to go into effect in Compton.)

Compton approves strict ban on smoking | Los Angeles Wave - Community News, Sports & Entertainment | West Edition (http://www.wavenewspapers.com/news/local/west-edition/Compton-approves-strict-ban-on-smoking-133127938.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
"The Compton City Council has unanimously approved an aggressive smoking ban that its backers call the most restrictive in the state. By Jan. 1, 2013, it will call for persons living in multi-unit residences to refrain from smoking inside their own living quarters."

Instead of the knee-jerk reactions usually posted on smoking ban threads here on this forum -- I admit I'm culpable with my own predictable replies since I abhor smoking -- let's imagine this scenario:

The upstairs/next-door/downstairs neighbor in your apartment complex has complained that your cigarette smoke is infiltrating their living space. Would you agree to refrain from smoking in your apartment in the absence of this kind of restrictive ban? Would you move if this kind of ban went into effect at your complex -- or would you quit the habit?

I predict Compton will be at the forefront of a wave of smoking bans in multi-unit residences. (I will now refrain from making any comment about how long it's going to take to go into effect in Compton.)

Compton approves strict ban on smoking | Los Angeles Wave - Community News, Sports & Entertainment | West Edition (http://www.wavenewspapers.com/news/local/west-edition/Compton-approves-strict-ban-on-smoking-133127938.html - broken link)
No, there should be no ban.

When we ban the stench that comes from cooking a cauldron of curry, THEN we can talk about multi-unit apartments and smoking.

The responsibility should be on the landlord to prevent cross contamination of air quality from apartment to apartment.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Good. The only place a person should be allowed to smoke is in their own private home, which is not connected to another person's dwelling, and only so long as no one under 18 lives in the home. Oh, and you can smoke in your car as long as you leave the windows up.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
I'd leave this one up to the market to rectify. Offer non smoking multi-living units and see the flood of applications.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
In CA, smoking tabacco in enclosed structure BAD
Smoking 'medical' marijuana in enclosed structure GOOD
Will the smoking ban apply to 'medical' marijuana? When the ingrown toenail starts hurting and you light up a joint, will tenants be allowed to complain if they object to smelling marijuana waffling in the hallways?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
If I was the neighbor I'd find out if the complex allows smoking and if it does move onto finding one that doesn't. Problem solved and everyone is happy.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:22 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Yes, I would stop smoking in my apartment.

I probably wouldn't smoke inside to begin with though, it makes a room smell awful if you do it a lot. I prefer going outside to smoke.

e2: But that's yet another reason I prefer single-family homes to multidwelling units.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I was the neighbor I'd find out if the complex allows smoking and if it does move onto finding one that doesn't. Problem solved and everyone is happy.

Yes, but these Nazis don't want everyone to be happy. They only want to tell everyone how to live.

I think we should outlaw farting in apartment complexes. I hate smelling farts. They are much worse than cigarette smoke.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
And here I thought doing something against drive-by shootings would be a more pressing issue.

Priorities....

Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,459 times
Ridiculous.

Just another way to control what people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies