Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This took place in DC when the Occupiers tried to stop traffic from an area where conservatives were having an annual conference. I guess from the language those people use they consider anything to be acceptable. Like most teenagers and the 20s they use one word very often to convey their meanings. I wonder what they are being taught in schools these days.

Watch the video and hear the police man tell them why the man who ran over a couple of women with his car was allowed to leave. Those people just can't get over the fact that blocking the streets is not allowed or legal.

Occupy protesters storm tea party conference – Patriot Update
This "occupation" is turning into thuggery and most likely will end up in open rioting similar to the European riots with all its property damage and mayhem. Americans do support freedom to PEACEFUL ASSEMBLY, but the line is certainly crossed in this video with the thugs taking over the streets and arbitrarily choosing who may pass and who may not pass.

Non-protesters have rights, also. When those rights are infringed and there is not authorities available to enforce the law, then the resulting actions of a car forcing its way through the crowd would be difficult to criticize in a courtroom. As far as I'm concerned, laying on the horn and easing through the crowd would be acceptable behavior, and those caught under the wheels would be acceptable collateral damage in the eyes of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I forgot about the law that allows you to run over a pedestrian as long as you technically have the right of way.

It is probably right next to the law that says you can run a STOP sign to evade a car jacker.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM

779 posts, read 537,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
It is probably right next to the law that says you can run a STOP sign to evade a car jacker.
Weak analogy. Carjacking != blocking a road, though both are illegal. One's a felony and the other isn't, yanno?

You guys are just coming off as desperate when you try to elevate blocking a road to some sort of grievous crime level. it's pretty silly and obviously disingenuous, manufactured outrage.

I don't condone blocking roads and I think that those who do should be fined but let's get real here. It's so strange how some righties are so tough until a liberal does something wrong -- then they cry like the worst of the far-left who like to shut down lemonade stands.

So sick of the extremists in this country setting the agenda and controlling the dialogue.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:36 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Weak analogy. Carjacking != blocking a road, though both are illegal. One's a felony and the other isn't, yanno?

You guys are just coming off as desperate when you try to elevate blocking a road to some sort of grievous crime level. it's pretty silly and obviously disingenuous, manufactured outrage.

I don't condone blocking roads and I think that those who do should be fined but let's get real here. It's so strange how some righties are so tough until a liberal does something wrong -- then they cry like the worst of the far-left who like to shut down lemonade stands.

So sick of the extremists in this country setting the agenda and controlling the dialogue.
Question: Have you ever had a mob block your exit based on what you look like? Not for anything you have said or done but simply because you look like someone that they do not like? Have you ever been unlawfully restrained?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Question: Have you ever had a mob block your exit based on what you look like? Not for anything you have said or done but simply because you look like someone that they do not like? Have you ever been unlawfully restrained?
Oh so now they blocked the road because of what motorists looked like? Well, enlighten me, what am I missing here?

I can tell you this; if I were blocked by a mob I wouldn't turn into a panic-stricken shrinking violet, unless perhaps I had an agenda...

Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Remember the video where the protester throws himself under the
wheel of a police motorcycle and starts wailing about being run over?
I doubt their story.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
I just have to laugh at people who complain about "violent kids" yet threaten to run them over for blocking a street. The irony is palpable.

Who is it that's violent again?

Nice priorities! "Golly, you blocked the street and inconvenienced me so you should DIE beneath my wheels, you violent thugs!"

Just more evidence that the right-wing in this country lost their path with the collapse of the Soviet Union so they have to find somewhere else to put that hatred-- mostly toward their fellow Americans who DARE to hold different opinions. Here I thought that's what both conservatives and liberals loved so much about the US -- that we are allowed to disagree with one another.

As an aside-- if Occupy protesters break the law, they should be charged with a crime. I just thought I would clear that up before someone makes the <inevitable> false claim that I support breaking the law to make your point. I don't. Not anymore than I believe it's OK to go all Charles Bronson and start running them down, vigilante style, for blocking a roadway. I honestly have NO idea how someone can complain about violent protesters out one side of their mouth while musing about running them down out of the other side of their mouth. It. doesn't. make. any. sense.
Allowing for their behavior is the same as condoning it. The facts are that the people that night were VIOLENT...and what gives me pause is that none from the left side seem to have any words of anger because these thugs knocked over 2 elderly ladies...but they bitterly complain that 2 of the thugs were bumped by a car. They weren't RUN OVER...they were bumped.

They have no right to re-direct traffic to suit their whim. They have no right to shout at or push anyone coming out of a building because they were at a meeting that doesn't agree with their politics. If a few of them get the same back that they are giving, maybe they will think twice about shoving people around. I will tell you this much....had that woman that they shoved to the ground been my mother?? One of those 'peaceful' punks would have gotten punched in the face...guarantee it. And I don't give a damn if you would approve of that behavior or not.

Peaceful demonstrations is one thing...but only a complete moron will stand in the street in oncoming traffic and not expect to be bumped by a motorist who is a victim of their whim just so they can make a point. And only a thug would push elderly people around to make a point. That is deplorabale behavior, and you should be objecting to that instead of defending them.

Violence will get them nothing but violence in return, and they will have no one to blame but themselves....but STILL they will have people like you defending them no matter what they do. Let's just hope it isn't YOUR Mom or grandmother they push to the ground next time.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
This "occupation" is turning into thuggery and most likely will end up in open rioting similar to the European riots with all its property damage and mayhem. Americans do support freedom to PEACEFUL ASSEMBLY, but the line is certainly crossed in this video with the thugs taking over the streets and arbitrarily choosing who may pass and who may not pass.

Non-protesters have rights, also. When those rights are infringed and there is not authorities available to enforce the law, then the resulting actions of a car forcing its way through the crowd would be difficult to criticize in a courtroom. As far as I'm concerned, laying on the horn and easing through the crowd would be acceptable behavior, and those caught under the wheels would be acceptable collateral damage in the eyes of the law.
Agreed. At some point in time, the protesters who escalate a demonstration into violence will be met with violence. Oh well. You reap what you sow.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Allowing for their behavior is the same as condoning it. The facts are that the people that night were VIOLENT...and what gives me pause is that none from the left side seem to have any words of anger because these thugs knocked over 2 elderly ladies...but they bitterly complain that 2 of the thugs were bumped by a car. They weren't RUN OVER...they were bumped.

They have no right to re-direct traffic to suit their whim. They have no right to shout at or push anyone coming out of a building because they were at a meeting that doesn't agree with their politics. If a few of them get the same back that they are giving, maybe they will think twice about shoving people around. I will tell you this much....had that woman that they shoved to the ground been my mother?? One of those 'peaceful' punks would have gotten punched in the face...guarantee it. And I don't give a damn if you would approve of that behavior or not.

Peaceful demonstrations is one thing...but only a complete moron will stand in the street in oncoming traffic and not expect to be bumped by a motorist who is a victim of their whim just so they can make a point. And only a thug would push elderly people around to make a point. That is deplorabale behavior, and you should be objecting to that instead of defending them.

Violence will get them nothing but violence in return, and they will have no one to blame but themselves....but STILL they will have people like you defending them no matter what they do. Let's just hope it isn't YOUR Mom or grandmother they push to the ground next time.
1) I am not a lefty.

2) Pointing out that blocking traffic and running people over intentionally are different animals is not, in any way, shape, or form, condoning violence.

3) If you think I was defending them, then you didn't read my posts. I have said repeatedly that they should be arrested and fined.

4) we don't know that she was knocked down yet, all we have is the kangaroo court verdict that certain righties here have handed down.

Seriously, this overblown overreaction to the blocking of traffic is OBVIOUSLY politically motivated. It couldn't possibly be more obvious.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
[quote]
Quote:
Oh so now they blocked the road because of what motorists looked like? Well, enlighten me, what am I missing here?
The story states that the mob stopped the expensive looking cars and let the cheap cars through. Are you enlightened now?

Quote:
I can tell you this; if I were blocked by a mob I wouldn't turn into a panic-stricken shrinking violet, unless perhaps I had an agenda...
OK. You're telling us what you wouldn't do, now tell us what you would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies