Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 PM

227 posts, read 140,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
selective

So, according to you, "selective" means no African American medical school students because they can not be accepted into programs without affirmative action?

FYI, there were African American doctors (who were accepted to med schools) before affirmative action was enacted.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

I want people to do whatever they want. I just don't want any special treatment or to be put ahead of anyone else to do it.

Please stop using the term African American when directing any statement to me. There is no such thing.

There should not be any points added to any type of test just because a person is black. Like the firemen a few years back. Like many other times it has happened.

do it on your own. Stop being a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Generally I don't care unless I'm going to a someone like a dermatologist.

Even then I don't care about the race of the doctor as long as they know how to treat black skin.
I am the same. I have skin issues and need someone knowledgeable about my particular needs as a black person but my dermatologist currently is white. Actually now that I think of it, all of my doctors currently are white men. I chose them due to great ratings and after meeting them and getting a feel for their practices. Plus they all are in areas where I don't have to pay for parking and where I don't have to wait more than 20 minutes in the waiting room at my appointment. These are 2 of my biggest criteria when selecting a doctor. Also that I can understand their accent if they are foreign born, none of mine right now are but I will go to a foreign doctor if they speak English well and understand English well.

My kids pediatrician is a black woman and I picked her because she was close to our neighborhood, a very good doctor, and also has the above 2 features that I need to have in a doctor.

I will say though that I prefer a male ob/gyn. A lot of women think I am crazy in this but I have found that men are much more gentle and sympathetic to my difficult pregnancies versus a woman doctor. A woman is more likely to tell you to suck it up, but a male doctor (at least in my experience in the practices that I went to during my 2 pregnancies) was more willing to listen to me and assist me with issues that I was having and not just tell me they would go away when the baby was born. They were also more gentle IMO during exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just another race-baiting toll thread.
I agree with this about the thread in general.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Newman0 View Post
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

I want people to do whatever they want. I just don't want any special treatment or to be put ahead of anyone else to do it.

Then why are you not ranting against nepotism and cronyism because these two factor far greater than affirmative action evert has/will.

Please stop using the term African American when directing any statement to me. There is no such thing.

Since when do you think you have the control over what millions of Americans of African descent (African Americans) call themselves?

There should not be any points added to any type of test just because a person is black. Like the firemen a few years back. Like many other times it has happened.

do it on your own. Stop being a victim.
Trust me. I am the last person who is anyone's victim...but thanks for stereotyping me based on my race.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I read a comment on this board that brought up this idea.
It's more of a political issue as health care isn't really the issue.

Honestly, all things being even do you feel more comfortable when you physician is the same race as you, or older (50's vs 20's), male vs female? This is about preference. But if it is your preference, why? Honest answers.

For instance, many women today prefer female obstetricians when 30 years ago it was the opposite.

Please don't turn this into a firefight.
Actually I prefer a minority to be my doctor as it gives me an inflated sense of my own egilatarianism. Seriously, who the hell actually cares? Unless there is a language barrier or something sure, but to walk in a doctor's office, know your docs name is a Mr. Jones, walk into his room, and see that he is black, and go ''Oh, wait a gosh darn second here.'', just never enters the mind.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Trust me. I am the last person who is anyone's victim...but thanks for stereotyping me based on my race.

Again thats good for you.

I live outside of Detroit so I might be a little jaded. Why not just ba an American who happens to have black skin. I don't go around calling myself German-American. That would just be stupid.

I didn't stereotype anyone.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
I would not want a Muslim doctor. All else is fine by me. I actually wouldn't want a religious doctor in general, but Muslim doctors are easy to spot because of their names.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Again thats good for you.

I live outside of Detroit so I might be a little jaded. Why not just ba an American who happens to have black skin. I don't go around calling myself German-American. That would just be stupid.

I didn't stereotype anyone.
If you called yourself a German American, black people wouldn't care. You can call yourself anything you like. Wanted to note that I do not call myself an AA but I have no problem with it at all because people can call them self "buggity boo" for all I care.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If you called yourself a German American, black people wouldn't care. You can call yourself anything you like. Wanted to note that I do not call myself an AA but I have no problem with it at all because people can call them self "buggity boo" for all I care.

call yourself whatever you want but when using it as a classification and getting extra points on a test or special treatment is where it needs to go.

The government should not boxes to check to say what you are. W e are Americans period

The difference is I don't get special treatment from the gov bye calling myself german-american. I don't get to sue and say a firemans test was bias. But you do. I don't get points from the U of Michigan because I can check a box.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
I am not scared at all. The OP is talking about me. I want a white doctor period. Thats it . It is my choice, its my body, its my life and that is all that matters.

LOL Love it the same people that insult me are the same people that I am sure support a womans right to choose to kill her baby. But I am a racist if I choose to pick a white doctor.

lol thats kinda funny.
That is kinda funny. It's also kinda funny some folks think that liberals support of abortion is am ingenius form of ethnic cleansing.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:52 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
The government should not boxes to check to say what you are. W e are Americans period
Kinda contradicts your early post where you said you would only be treated by a White doctor. Does your White only rule also apply to other professions, like say dentist, attorney, teacher, or would you make an exception for say cleaning lady or gardener?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies