U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,525,470 times

Advertisements

I thought the public schools were not allowed to observe religious holidays? I haven't seen a public school give Easter Monday or Good Friday off in decades. Winter break tends to coincide with Christmas, but I haven't heard of the public schools giving a "Christmas" break in years. I've never heard of public schools celebrating Hannaka. Why is this religious Muslim Holiday being honored in a public school???

"Some Massachusetts public school students have a day off this week, but it has nothing to do with power outages or snow...The Cambridge school system is believed to be the first in Massachusetts to give all students a day off for a Muslim holiday...Students are getting Tuesday off for Eid al-Adha, also known as the Festival of Sacrifice, the Boston Globe reports."

Read more: Massachusetts School District Marks Muslim Holiday | Fox News

Eid al-Adha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Eid al-Adha (Arabic: عيد الأضحى‎ ‘Īd al-’Aḍḥá, IPA: [ʕiːd al ʔadˁˈħaː], "feast of sacrifice") or "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid" is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Abraham (Ibrahim) to sacrifice his son Ishmael (Isma'il) as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened to provide him with a sheep— to sacrifice instead.[1]"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,482,494 times
It's because Dearborn Michigan isn't in the United States anymore, didn't you get the memo?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,903,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I thought the public schools were not allowed to observe religious holidays? I haven't seen a public school give Easter Monday or Good Friday off in decades. Winter break tends to coincide with Christmas, but I haven't heard of the public schools giving a "Christmas" break in years. I've never heard of public schools celebrating Hannaka. Why is this religious Muslim Holiday being honored in a public school???

"Some Massachusetts public school students have a day off this week, but it has nothing to do with power outages or snow...The Cambridge school system is believed to be the first in Massachusetts to give all students a day off for a Muslim holiday...Students are getting Tuesday off for Eid al-Adha, also known as the Festival of Sacrifice, the Boston Globe reports."

Read more: Massachusetts School District Marks Muslim Holiday | Fox News

Eid al-Adha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Eid al-Adha (Arabic: عيد الأضحى‎ ‘Īd al-’Aḍḥá, IPA: [ʕiːd al ʔadˁˈħaː], "feast of sacrifice") or "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid" is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Abraham (Ibrahim) to sacrifice his son Ishmael (Isma'il) as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened to provide him with a sheep— to sacrifice instead.[1]"
Schools are paid daily per student attending. If a school knows there will be a day where many students will not attend, they should not have school that day as it will cost them money.

Keep in mind there is a difference between celebration and having a day off. I know that's hard for Fox to understand, but perhaps the rest of the readers can understand this.

My high school always had Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah off as we have a high Jewish population. Where was yours and Fox's outrage over this? It has been happening for years in the Chicago area.

Why no outrage? Gee, I wonder why.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM

14,805 posts, read 19,796,249 times
Massachusetts schools generally have Good Friday off.

Sorry to blow your outrage out of the water with facts.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,525,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Schools are paid daily per student attending. If a school knows there will be a day where many students will not attend, they should not have school that day as it will cost them money.

Keep in mind there is a difference between celebration and having a day off. I know that's hard for Fox to understand, but perhaps the rest of the readers can understand this.

My high school always had Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah off as we have a high Jewish population. Where was yours and Fox's outrage over this? It has been happening for years in the Chicago area.

Why no outrage? Gee, I wonder why.
Really? The public school gives Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off? When did you go to school? Maybe thirty years ago? Because there are many, if not most, public schools with a "high" Christian population and I'm not aware of any that still give a day off for Easter/Good Friday or Christmas.

I'd be interested in hearing from posters as to whether or not their public school district gives a day off for any religious holidays.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM

13,290 posts, read 14,383,543 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of any that still give a day off for Easter/Good Friday or Christmas

I'd be interested in hearing from posters as to whether or not their public school district gives a day off for any religious holidays.
My public school district has the following days off which correspond to Christian holy days.

Winter Vacation: December 19 - Dec 30; Christmas Dec 25
Vernal Holiday: April 6th; Good Friday April 6

Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM

42,724 posts, read 28,331,843 times
When I was in high school students could take the first day of Hunting Season off, and their absence wasn't counted. Since so many students did take it off, those of us who were in attendance had free periods all day, when we could read, or catch up on homework, do research for papers, work on the high school paper or yearbook, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,836,685 times
I went to school in MA and we had Good Friday off along with many other religious holidays.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,903,935 times
Quote:
Really? The public school gives Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off? When did you go to school? Maybe thirty years ago? Because there are many, if not most, public schools with a "high" Christian population and I'm not aware of any that still give a day off for Easter/Good Friday or Christmas.

I'm pretty sure they still give off the Jewish Holidays. Also, many schools do give Good Friday off.

Really, it's all about the attendance money.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 2,881,008 times
Quote:

You sound like my mother - because you never heard of it, it doesn't happen! Her favorite expression was "I never heard of that!"

YES - schools have always had off for Yom Kippur & Rosh Hashanah. Schools have always had off for Good Friday. At least in the places I've lived. Still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies