Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't know enough about the "steps" required that you allude to so I am asking, not to disagree with you but, for clarity.

What are the steps under the rules at Penn ST.
I'm only going by what the media is reporting...that JoePa is not facing charges because he fulfilled is responsibility to report it to his superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I hate to see Penn State fall apart like this. Joe had a serious lapse of judgement and made a serious mistake and it should have cost him his job. But the trusteees could and should have allowed him to leave with some dignity and let him try to defuse the situation and prevent what happened( the riots). Now in addition to the University President and Joe Paterno having to go, the trustees themselves will end up having to resign. They handled this incredibly poorly and are solely to blame for the reactions of the students and the further damage to the schools reputation. I never knew Penn State was this bad off.
The trustees have to be the next people to go. They can't pass judgement on anyone when they themselves have shown they have such a disconnect with the students and with the univeristy itself.
Yes, the trustees put guns to the students' heads and said "Riot, damn it!"

Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It doesn't All come down on Paterno. Others have also been fired . . .
http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF
Not just fired, but two of them are under indictment. Clearly only a portion of this is falling on JoePa and frankly he's lucky he did just enough to avoid being the third indictment and got away with merely being fired.

I think it's telling about the structure of the system at Penn State that the incident was simply passed up the chain of command -- from the graduate coach who (allegedly) caught Sandusky right on up to the athletic director and administrators at the school -- until it disappeared into a black hole of bureaucracy and convenient memory loss. Not one person along that chain thought to contact police? And what about the kid who allegedly caught him in the act?? Instead of intervening on the spot or at least immediately contacting police, he runs to JoePa first? Sounds to me like damage control was the first thing on everyone's mind.

And what the bloody hell is wrong with the student body that they're rioting on behalf of JoePa and a personnel structure that permitted kids to be (allegedly)) molested on their campus for years? Do they have any idea they're multiplying the damage to the school's reputation by standing up for the protectors of an (alleged) child rapist? I thought you had to be relatively bright to get into this school?

And what about the rest of the college football establishment? Why is it that no football program would touch Sandusky after he left the Penn State program in 1998? How and why did he go from one of the most promising and highly regarded assistant coaches in college football to instant persona-non-grata?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I hate to see Penn State fall apart like this. Joe had a serious lapse of judgement and made a serious mistake and it should have cost him his job. But the trusteees could and should have allowed him to leave with some dignity and let him try to defuse the situation and prevent what happened( the riots). Now in addition to the University President and Joe Paterno having to go, the trustees themselves will end up having to resign. They handled this incredibly poorly and are solely to blame for the reactions of the students and the further damage to the schools reputation. I never knew Penn State was this bad off.
The trustees have to be the next people to go. They can't pass judgement on anyone when they themselves have shown they have such a disconnect with the students and with the univeristy itself.
I've never seen such pathetic excuse-making in my life. F#*& the idiot students rioting on behalf of a power structure that allows child rape to happen on their campus, using resources that they paid for. The trustees are smart enough to know that they have to start fixing the school's reputation now -- not at the end of the football season but now. And shame on the students who clearly have no clue what's at stake for taking the precise opposite tack and multiplying the damage to the school's reputation. I wouldn't want my kids to attend a school populated by such a brainwashed, groupthink-mired, and frankly idiotic student body. Despicable animals.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
How many young boys were molested by the perv from 2003 when Joe found out, and this week when it all came to a head?
Joe might as well have been molesting them too, for all those victims were his fault.
Had he told in 2003, many young boys would have been saved...
Who knows, Joe may have been aware before 2003 and looked the other way because jhe didn't want to lose a world class linebacker coach..?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
what about the kid who allegedly caught him in the act?? Instead of intervening on the spot or at least immediately contacting police, he runs to JoePa first?
I don't see how I would have acted any differently, basically a student coach whose entire career is in the hands of one of the most storied coaching staffs in college football dropping a dime on what effectively would have been one of his supervisors without informing the head coach first... I don't believe that I would have done anything differently.

As for JoePA, I to a lesser extent of the same view, reporting to the police an reported incident which would surely have been a national scandal to the police before informing his bosses first seems a bit of a institutional stretch regardless of type of organization. But then where was the follow up by JoePA? I just don't have answers to that. But what I do know is that this is one sad end to one of the most illustrious careers of a coach who previously seemed to have always put his players first despite being the winningest coach in Division I* football.

*just for the record, he is third overall.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't see how I would have acted any differently, basically a student coach whose entire career is in the hands of one of the most storied coaching staffs in college football dropping a dime on what effectively would have been one of his supervisors without informing the head coach first... I don't believe that I would have done anything differently.

As for JoePA, I to a lesser extent of the same view, reporting to the police an reported incident which would surely have been a national scandal to the police before informing his bosses first seems a bit of a institutional stretch regardless of type of organization. But then where was the follow up by JoePA?
Uhm... wow. How utterly spineless. Honestly. "To hell with a kid getting molested before my eyes -- my career is on the line!!" How cold and lousy of a human being to have to be to let a kid get raped right in front of you than do something to stop it because you're afraid for your career?

As for JoePa informing the administration first.... fine, he should have done that so they had advance warning of what was to come, and then he and the assistant coach should have gone to the police. Instead he just reports it on up, as if he was just a cog in the wheel instead of the main wheel around which all other cogs revolved. And now the whole damn school is mired it shame and who knows how many more kids got molested because nobody from the grad coach on up to the school administration had the stones to the right thing. It's like Nazi Germany on a small scale and with a less tragic outcome (but still a tragic outcome nonetheless).

Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not just fired, but two of them are under indictment. Clearly only a portion of this is falling on JoePa and frankly he's lucky he did just enough to avoid being the third indictment and got away with merely being fired.

I think it's telling about the structure of the system at Penn State that the incident was simply passed up the chain of command -- from the graduate coach who (allegedly) caught Sandusky right on up to the athletic director and administrators at the school -- until it disappeared into a black hole of bureaucracy and convenient memory loss. Not one person along that chain thought to contact police? And what about the kid who allegedly caught him in the act?? Instead of intervening on the spot or at least immediately contacting police, he runs to JoePa first? Sounds to me like damage control was the first thing on everyone's mind.

And what the bloody hell is wrong with the student body that they're rioting on behalf of JoePa and a personnel structure that permitted kids to be (allegedly)) molested on their campus for years? Do they have any idea they're multiplying the damage to the school's reputation by standing up for the protectors of an (alleged) child rapist? I thought you had to be relatively bright to get into this school?

And what about the rest of the college football establishment? Why is it that no football program would touch Sandusky after he left the Penn State program in 1998? How and why did he go from one of the most promising and highly regarded assistant coaches in college football to instant persona-non-grata?
Excellent post and questions.

There are a whole lot of people with some seriously misplaced priorities at that university.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The guys are only a football coaches. Why should anyone care what happens to these people?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you serious? That grad strudent should be thrown in jail along with Sandusky. How someone witnesses something like that and doesn't intervene or at least contact the authorities is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies