Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
It's also very easy for a rapist, especially if there's more than one, to turn the gun on the victim.
This is what I have seen taught , I live in an anti choice state at this time and am not permitted to defend my life with a fire arm.

An over the shoulder purse has a place for a small gun .
You put your hand in your purse .
Your hand , on the trigger (if you fear attack) should be at your side , arm straight at your hip , gun pointed down to the ground.
You shoot through the purse , lifting your arm a small amount , shooting for the assailants leg , above the knee.
Then run away.

I think this would work for me . Sounds solid .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IMHO - Being armed is a fundamental right of ALL humans. Deciding to do so is an individual descision. I do not see anyone forcing anyone to be armed but no more then strongly suggesting it is a good idea at some times. This applies to both men and women. Proper training can eliminate hesitation or poor gun handling.

I do not travel in places I worry about assault. I places I am concerned I am armed. To me that is commons sense.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I don't think you understood my post. Many people will hesitate to use force, especially on a person they know. Action movies are not very realistic.
Shoot them in the leg . Small caliber . You can still be friends after .

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm old and have never been in a situation where a gun would have made anything different or better.
That's great - it is - but you realize that not everyone goes through life experiencing exactly the same things you have, right? There are people who lead a less charmed existence.

Quote:
Perhaps you (generic) ought to leave people alone to make their own decisions
Gee, that sounds awful familiar. Oh yeah -
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Hey, I'm all for you making your own decision on whether or not you want to own or carry a gun, but you should have the same respect of other people's choices, too.
You seem to be fine with people making their own decisions, as long as it's the same decision you made. If they go the other way, they're "living in fear" and the people that agree with them are "fear mongering."

Are you familiar with the word "hypocrisy?"

Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Can someone explain to me how a woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet?

Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers' advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."

Women shouldn'd carry a guy because they can be taken away and used against them. That's why cops are armed with rape whistles instead of firearms.

The term "When rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it"....what do you want to bet it was coined by a liberal?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Says someone who obviously has no knowledge or experience in self defense or shooting weapons. You think legally women can just pull out a gun and blast any old ******* who looks at her the wrong way away? Sorry tough guy self defense laws don't work that way. And with most rapes women would never even have a chance to pull their gun out and use it anyways. If some guy approaches a woman in a parking lot and is less than a few feet away from her what chance do you think she would ever have in being able to shoot the perp. Not much. Hence my point women need to learn real physical self defense. Carrying a gun gives a lot of people a false sense of security, and it would be even worse for women. Even pepper spray is better for most women to carry instead of a gun.

To be able to shoot to kill someone in self defense is very very hard in this day and age and in our litigious society. You have to prove beyond a doubt that there was no other choice and your life was in fact endangered. You can't even shoot an intruder in your home in many cases in many states for example.

But hey you're an alphamale right? LOL.
Absolutely.

But nobody is advocating that women should just shoot people who LOOK dangerous.

They should have the ability to protect themselves and their families, just as the 2nd amendment guarantees.

Ask any police officer who spouts the BS "The intruder can take your gun and use it against you" if they leave their family home without protection. Especially if they reside in a high crime area.

I'll take my chances with the law if an intruder should enter my home and I shoot them.

What would YOU do? Talk to them? lol Try to philosophize with them? Explain to them that you would have a gun, but you're afraid of the law? Stand by and watch your wife get raped?

I hope that you're never in that position.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I can address this directly, with personal knowledge. In Florida, you have long been able to get a concealed weapons permit after going through appropriate criminal background checks and having the gun training. And there are many places where you can buy purses or fanny packs with hidden compartments that hold a handgun. They are designed so that as you walk along the street, or move to your car in the dark parking lot, you actually have your hand INSIDE the purse, ON the gun, and are ready to fire if attacked. Anyone who approaches can be told to back off, or they will be shot.

When I was getting a degree in Ft. Lauderdale, we had many late-night classes, and it was not uncommon (in the beginning) for groups of minorities to be hanging around the parking lots at night. There were several muggings. But my particular class different: both men and women came from states where we refused to be victims, and many of us got CWPs. Once word got around that a significant number of the women students were carrying legal handguns in their purses, the gangs disappeared entirely. And even better, I was never afraid when I had to walk to my car alone at night again.
How dare you scare people like that!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - Being armed is a fundamental right of ALL humans. Deciding to do so is an individual descision. I do not see anyone forcing anyone to be armed but no more then strongly suggesting it is a good idea at some times. This applies to both men and women. Proper training can eliminate hesitation or poor gun handling.

I do not travel in places I worry about assault. I places I am concerned I am armed. To me that is commons sense.
Worth repeating.

I agree, no one should be forced to be armed. If the predators are allowed to get some of the sheeple we can recognize who they are. Afterall, wolves have to eat too. Of course, when the intended victim fights back, meeting lethal force with same, the wolf finds himself on an equal playing field. Predators hate that.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
I'd rather have my head in the sand than elsewhere, thank you very much.
I'm old and have never been in a situation where a gun would have made anything different or better.

Perhaps you (generic) ought to leave people alone to make their own decisions than trying to cram guns down our throats every chance you get. Oh yes, I understand that you're trying, in your very best patronizing way, to protect women. Try looking at rape stats. I posted them earlier in the thread but here you go again: rainn.org.

You all seem to whine that people are trying to "take your guns away" yet never seem to have a problem telling others that they're stupid for not carrying a gun.

Which is it, blatant double standard or not?
My, my, someone has quite a bit of anger.

Do you understand the difference between "cramming guns" down someone's throat and making available to women the education and information and venue through which to make an informed decision?

You are fortunate you have never been raped or threatened in such a manner it was necessary to use lethal force in order to survive. Many women have not been so fortunate.

Many female rape and assault victims come for firearms training after the fact wishing they had been better able to defend themselves at the time of the attack. It is their right to choose, as it is yours. However, to admonish those who provide a real service to women to enable them to defend their lives and those of their loved ones as you have here, is, in my opinion, exceedingly immature and frankly, rude.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
At the risk of being called an "internet tough guy" and all the other BS, I'll tell you a story.

I got into a fight. I had this guy point a .22 caliber pistol at me about a foot away. So I looked him in the eye and said "That's a .22. If you shoot me with that, it's only going to **** me off."

Five seconds later I had the gun in my hand, and he was laying on the floor with a scattered mess of blood where his nose used to be.

I'm not exactly Jet Li. However that's how fast I disarmed this guy.

Ladies, unless you're quick on the draw, and shoot first but ask questions later, carrying a gun will get you killed.

Just sayin. Be safe.
Great story.

Through experience, I've learned that only about 5% of guys really know how to defend themselves. You are obviously one of them, the guy with the .22, not so much.

I have personally defended myself mostly without having to throw a punch, through intimidation.

I've also had guns pulled on me and I've been stabbed in the lower abdomen once.

I have also defended myself by fighting in more than a few occasions as a kid and a young adult.

I do not feel the need to carry a concealed weapon, but I now have one Glock and one shotgun at home.

My dog takes care of the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies