Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Are the people who did this eye opening study part of the envious 'spread the wealth' bunch?

Probably. And I'll bet you and I are paying for this useless study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You don't understand. We have child labor laws now,so a 12 year old delivering newspapers won't fly in my neck of the woods.

Hopefully, you are joking. If not, you should move.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post

Can't get a job when there aren't enough to go around either.

There are millions of jobs out there and millions of Americans get jobs every year. In fact, farmers are begging for people to work the fields in Alabama. There are jobs all over this country.

Oh, did you mean "can't get the perfect job"? Yes, that may be true.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
"US wealth gap between young and old is widest ever"

I didn't read the whole thread which I think is very misleading. It takes most people most of their lives to build their wealth. So it stands the reason why young folks do not have the wealth and assets the elderly have . It seems like a no brainer to me. Another point is every generation has a cross to bare. Many baby boomers suffered very hard times just as the young generation will face too, unfortunately.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
How is this news? The old ARE the rich.

Maybe we can just go all Logan's Run and set a termination age of 70? That would immediately fix medicare and we could also seize their assets to pay off the debt.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
JimMe, When the boomers fight to pay for THEIR 2 wars, just as their grandparents did in WWII, I'll applaud them.

Singed,

A Boomer

Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
It seems to me that all of the Occupy Wall Street protesters should be looking for work ... and get the ball rolling ... toward a life of rewards and contribution.

Who the hell is going to hire any of these dope addicts?

Especially since they are all too lazy to fill out a job application.

Can't get a job without filling out an application.

No wonder none of them will have a rosy retirement.
You're funny. We all know that Baby Boomers were the most sober, well-behaved, clean-cut, patriotic, hard-working bunch who pulled themselves by their bootstraps in their 20's. I hope you detect the sarcasm here. The most successful generic Whitebred suburban boomers spent their teens, 20's and early 30's smoking insane amounts of pot and experimenting with sanity testing lab-made drugs like LSD while outright refusing to work and also refusing to shower while refusing to fight for their country and attending rock concerts while stoned out of their minds. But eventually, Hippies cut their hair and easily transitioned into White collar jobs are were basically handed houses in the suburbs and prestige. It is ironic that the poorer kids who were drafted to Vietnam ended up becoming homeless, mentally ill, drug addicted and alcoholic while lazy brain-fried acid-tripping Hippies became materialistic soulless yuppies in a rather short 10-20 year span.

Do you know how much easier you geezers had it? There was no outsourcing in your day in age. College was affordable. Going to Harvard only cost a few hundred dollars a semester and guaranteed a high paying job. You could pay to go to an Ivy League school with a summer job for God's sake. Today, kids leave public universities with tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, with interest, that never goes away that will haunt them for a lifetime and haunt their relatives if they die without paying back every last cent. Even with just a high school diploma, a Boomer could make the equivalent of $30 an hour at an entry level job or internship fresh out of high school. That is extremely rare in this day in age without prestigious connections. Illegal immigration didn't even exist from a statistical standpoint back then. The last time wages were truly adjusted for inflation was in the early 70's when most Boomers began their professional careers.

Don't tell 20 somethings to pull themselves by their bootstraps because the boots most of them have inherited and rundown with holes in them. The difference between Occupy Wall Street and your Pro-Acid rallies of the 60's (Really?! That is what the middle class youth of the Boomer Generation thought was important enough to rally for), is that kids today WANT to work.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 11-08-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yooperkat"If one of the basic tenets of the American dream is for the next generation to do better than the one before, then why doesn't this generation make it better?

Instead of wishing that the generation before them would just hand it to them."

Your post is reprehensible. Hand it to them, get real. By the way, I'm in my early 50s, and of course, someday expect to get SS at a somewhat reduced rate, adjusted for inflation. I will NOt vote for any candidate who fails to support raising the SS age at least 3 years for anyone not presently in their 60s. (Yes, to get my vote, one must DEMAND my sacrifice).
I am appalled by the AARP We're 50 mill strong grannys who HATE their grandkids so much, they refuse to allow any changes to anyone. The Greatest Generation and the "Still Babies" Boomers are polar opposites in terms of doing for country, and having character. I hope the kids vote far, far more, and AGAINST anything the AARP stands for. I WILL be.

Generational warfare against MY generation is something long overdue. In aggregate, we are committing genocide. We got here on the backs of prior gens who BUILT the foundation we stood on. We're still acting like babies. We are an irresponsible generation.

Bravo!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hopefully, you are joking. If not, you should move.
I'm not,seriously. You have to be at least 16 to get working papers,or documentation stating you can work.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That has not changed. What has changed is the expectation for a standard of living and the willingness to live within your means.

40 - 50 years ago people built 900 sq ft houses, never ate out, made their own clothes, never had cable TV, made one long distance phone call every 6 months, etc. That's how my parents survived on one income.

Today, people refuse to live in 900 sq ft houses, they eat expensive fast food, they must have cable TV and smart phones, etc. Then they wonder why they cannot support a family on one income.
How old are you really?
It costs less to buy a 5 dollar shirt than to make one.
Most tv's don't work without cable anymore.
Fast food is sheaper than preparing food from scratch.

Also,where are these factories you speak of?
Only factories I see are abandoned ones along the highways and near the rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies