Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times

Advertisements

Gallup has been doing religious polls for many years now, and it consistently shows that Democrats are nearly as religious as Republicans. Additionally, the percentage of those Democrats who believe in creationism, as opposed to evolution, was not that far off from Republicans (from the perspective of an atheist or agnostic). It appears that the results are just as abysmal, this time around, in comparison to previous polls in the last few years - not much change).

The various Gallup polls on creationism/evolution break down not just belief in creationism, but further refines it by also asking whether creation was 10,000 years ago ("strict creationism"), or occurred over the course of millions_ of years.

Predictably, more Republicans believed in the 10,000 year theory.... but before the atheist and agnostic Democrat rejoices in that, know that approximately 40 percent of your fellow Democrats answered in the affirmative on that question, indicating they believe creationism was [a mere] 10,0000 years ago. The other approximately 40 percent of Democrats claimed Creation wasn't 10,000 years ago, but occurred nonetheless. So in all, atheists and agnostics are the overwhelming minority in both political parties (no surprise there to most).

From the perspective of the atheist or agnostic, the Democrats are only 10 percent less stupid than Republicans when it comes to religion. Gallup indicating in 2008 that approximately 80 percent of Democrats believed in creationism in some form versus 90 percent of Republicans believing in creationism in some form [meaning, be it: (a) God guided species development over the course of millions of years, or alternatively (b) God guided, but also creation occurred a mere 10,000 years ago (a.k.a. "strict creationism")].

I was going to post that poll a while back (but as usual - was too lazy), as I grow tired of the myth being promulgated which mischaracterizes Democrats as being almost exclusively atheists/agnostics in a statistically misguided attempt to separate Democrats from Republicans for express purposes of claiming party supremacy over the domain of science (i.e. "we are the party of science"), when the polls about religion and creationism in America taken by various polling organizations seem to indicate quite the contrary (unless you want to somehow work on the premise that the slightly less retarded cousin between the two severely retarded cousins is somehow the equivalent of a brilliant physicist, merely because he's the marginally less retarded of the two).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 11-08-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
A Majority of Democrats Seldom or Never Go to Church, Says Gallup | CNSnews.com

Very interesting, -most d'RATs seldom or never go to church while most Republicans go to church and believe in GOD. Is it because d'RATs believe the Government is GOD while Republicans believe man can not replace GOD?? Hmmmmmmm....
Perhaps this is why.

Quote:
Only six percent of America's scientists identify themselves as Republicans; fifty-five percent call themselves Democrats.
Quote:
The ideological discrepancies were similar. Nine percent of scientists said they were "conservative" while 52 percent described themselves as "liberal," and 14 percent "very liberal."
Only Six Percent Of Scientists Are Republicans: Pew Poll

Lets face it. There is a major discrepancy of science and religion. Those that believe the world is round may not go to church where they hear it is flat.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Religion should be abolished.

If people took fiction this seriously then it's certainly a problem that affects everyone.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Or maybe some of us don't believe in God or any other superior being? Just a thought!
If I thought that those people who went to church had the any better morals or ethics than those who don't, I might see a societal benefit to church attendance. However, it has been my experience that those who go to church every Sunday are MORE likely to take advantage of a friend, and do very unethical things when involved in financial and "business" transactions.

I haven't seen any correlation between moral and ethical behavior, and following organized religion. For some reason many people like and need the mindless repetition of sitting in church every week, or reciting prayers, and find such things comforting (although many say it simply an unpleasant obligation). And of course there are wide variety of church services, ranging from the mindlessly boring, to the social, to the entertaining.

Of course, if the Good Lord wants to change my mind, a winning $100 million lottery ticket would certainly convince me that the world is actually ruled by a supernatural being. It shouldn't be too much trouble for an omnipotent being.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If it's legal, then it's moral in Liberal Land. Who needs to go to church to help you stay on the straight and narrow when you've got Congress, the Supreme Court, State Law, and the local jail to help you stay on the path?

I mean, who needs a church to tell you that abortion in wrong when the Supreme Court is in charge!

If you or someone else that attends church on a regular basis requires the promise of a gift or threat of punishment from your sky daddy in order to live your life as a moral and ethical person, than I think that says more about you and other church attendees than it does about the people that manage to behave decently without any cosmic quid pro quo.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
A Majority of Democrats Seldom or Never Go to Church, Says Gallup | CNSnews.com

Very interesting, -most d'RATs seldom or never go to church while most Republicans go to church and believe in GOD. Is it because d'RATs believe the Government is GOD while Republicans believe man can not replace GOD?? Hmmmmmmm....
What does organized religion have to do with God? Not much, if the actions of the Christian right in this country are anything to go by.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

-Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
It would be interesting to see poll results of the percent of Democrats and Republicans who are prejudiced.

Quote:
Religion Begets Prejudice
Far from my religion tempering my prejudices, racial prejudice was actually instilled in me by my evangelical Christian church. I grew up in North Carolina in what we call the Bible Belt. My church taught me that segregation was the will of God and quoted the Bible to prove it. It taught me that men were by nature superior to woman and quoted the Bible to prove it. It taught me that it was o.k. to hate other religions, and especially the Jews, and quoted the Bible to prove it. It taught me that homosexual persons were either mentally sick or morally depraved and, of course, quoted the Bible to prove it. So the idea that being religious might make one less prejudiced is a fantasy. It appears to make people more prejudiced, or at the least, not to confront their prejudices.
On Faith Panelists Blog: Religion Begets Prejudice - John Shelby Spong

Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Most republicans go to church out of the fear of spending an eternity in hell and not for the love of God or Jesus. A true christian who actually follows the word of Jesus would look after his fellow man instead of trying to profit from him. It is very obvious from the republican agenda of declaring war on programs for the least of our society that the words of Jesus have fallen on deaf ears. Then there is GW Bush a fine example of what he calls a Godly person. GW Bush, born again christian who said he spoke with God declared war on an innocent country killing one million Iraqis, 7000 Americans, and disabling and injuring ten of thousands more. It makes you wonder what God said to him.
I am sure glad these republicans go to church because if they act as badly as they do under the fear of God and the promise of hell imagine what it would be like if they did not.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,102 times
The fact that this is an issue and is in the politics forum proves that some people don't agree with or understand the 1st amendment.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Most republicans go to church out of the fear of spending an eternity in hell and not for the love of God or Jesus. A true christian who actually follows the word of Jesus would look after his fellow man instead of trying to profit from him. It is very obvious from the republican agenda of declaring war on programs for the least of our society that the words of Jesus have fallen on deaf ears. Then there is GW Bush a fine example of what he calls a Godly person. GW Bush, born again christian who said he spoke with God declared war on an innocent country killing one million Iraqis, 7000 Americans, and disabling and injuring ten of thousands more. It makes you wonder what God said to him.
I am sure glad these republicans go to church because if they act as badly as they do under the fear of God and the promise of hell imagine what it would be like if they did not.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies