Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times

Advertisements

I'd vote for Clinton again...why not? better than what we have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Clinton justifies the cause for term limits. Most former Presidents fall into that category.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Clinton justifies the cause for term limits. Most former Presidents fall into that category.
Ya think so? Well, I don't know why we were so successful in the 90's. Some say it was Clinton, some say it was technology.

I'm really curious about how things would have turned out had he been allowed to lead us until 2004. Really curious.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
I would rather have Clinton in the WH than Obama again.
I would rather have neither.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Don't take this wrong since he says he wouldn't want it to apply to him and others who have served two terms. The biggest problem is that he wants the President to take some time off between his second and third term and to be re-elected before the third term. I guess he wants a full four years of rest for them.

I wonder how he plans to deal with the person elected between the two terms.

I also wonder if he thinks he can get a few more years in the White House with him being the first gentleman.

Bill Clinton Supports Three Terms for United States Presidents | Video | TheBlaze.com
Actually Scarborough said that he thought "some time off then you could come back".

Clinton said last year in a similar interview, with the same people, that he thought a third and fourth term should be allowed without a break.

His point is that people are living longer. John McCain was older then Reagan when he ran for office. People are living longer with all of their faculties.

I could see both good and bad things coming of such things.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Clinton is in his third term right now. Just look at Obama's advisors.

FDR was a disaster and forced the term action limit to be taken.

The far left is exceedingly power hungry. What better way to stack SCOTUS than to stay in office 12 years?
Just what I think Clinton wants to do. He knows most political things better than anybody I know. All his old people are still around and none of them is willing to see anything happen that could blow him away.

As far as the 22nd Amendment is concerned, I always remember how funny I thought that action was when the Republicans wanted so badly to get Eisenhower back for a third term but they had taken away any chance of that to keep Truman from a third term. Now remember, I was a very staunch Democrat at that time.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Yeah, except FDR had been dead six years before the 22nd Amendment was ratified. Facts, how do they work?

If it weren't for the threat of dealing with a continually obstructionist Congress, it seems that a single six or seven year term would allow a President to implement their agenda while not being in constant campaign mode. Plus, we wouldn't be discussing Presidential election two years prior to the actual vote.
It was Truman, and the possibility that he could serve very near 3 terms unless that amendment was passed, not FDR. Yes, FDR had been elected 4 times but the GOP wanted to make sure that they had a chance by forcing Truman out of office.

The Congress the last 6 years of Eisenhower was Democrat and they got along very well. The present Congress could have gotten along with Obama but too many people, not all GOP, wouldn't allow that to happen. Actually Obama is a campaigner and nothing else so using the GOP as the scape goat is very much what he wanted.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
Old news - Clinton has said this long before now.

So has at least one other President, for that matter.
REAGAN WANTS END OF TWO-TERM LIMIT - NYTimes.com

The sort of alternate plan he's discussing is similar to some state gubernatorial systems. For example, in Virginia a Governor who serves a term is ineligible to be Governor for the next four years, then is eligible again. In 26 states, after two consecutive terms a Governor is similarly ineligible for the newt four years, then is eligible again. And in Montana and Wyoming, a person may serve as Governor for 8 out of every 16 years.

I wouldn't mind the system Clinton is proposing (or just repealing Presidential term limits altogether) but it isn't something I actively want to see done, either.
I am just very glad that we can't possibly propose and then get passed an amendment to do away with 22 before Obama has served all the time available for him. I don't believe we would have the system we have right now if he gets re-elected, if he allows an election in 2012.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
I would rather have Clinton in the WH than Obama again.
I would really hate to have it come down to a choice between those two, but if that were the choice, I'd go for felonious Bill. He should be in prison, but still better than obama

Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Don't take this wrong since he says he wouldn't want it to apply to him and others who have served two terms. The biggest problem is that he wants the President to take some time off between his second and third term and to be re-elected before the third term. I guess he wants a full four years of rest for them.

I wonder how he plans to deal with the person elected between the two terms.

I also wonder if he thinks he can get a few more years in the White House with him being the first gentleman.

Bill Clinton Supports Three Terms for United States Presidents | Video | TheBlaze.com

I agree that the 2 term potus should be gotten rid of. instead the potus should never be more than 1 term, and congress should be limited to 1 term of 6 years for senators and 3 terms of 2 years for representitives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies