Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Nationalize them?? Yeah, sure, that would be great, then the government can let them steal our money and assure them that they would bail them out any time they wanted, without batting an eye.
If the government 'owns' it's own money, then the only 'stealing' would be from counterfeiters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
No, I just want the bankers to live in the cardboard boxes and eat mud, and save us from having to do so.
It doesn't work that way.

I personally don't care if the banks fail or not, since I can deal with it, but 94% of Americans couldn't handle it. They can't even handle 9% unemployment.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
I guess there aren't any bank depositors here, because they wouldn't be seeing their money anymore unless they were smart enough to physically extract their paper money before the collapse.

LOL at people thinking FDIC would actually make good on its guarantees under such a scenario.

Last edited by summers73; 11-11-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
“Where everyone else bailed out the bankers and made the public pay the price, Iceland let the banks go bust and actually expanded its social safety net,”.

“Where everyone else was fixated on trying to placate international investors, Iceland imposed temporary controls on the movement of capital to give itself room to maneuver,” he said.

During a visit to Reykjavik last week, Krugman also said Iceland has the krona to thank for its recovery, warning against the notion that adopting the euro can protect against economic imbalances.

Iceland’s former prime minister Geir Haarde, in power during the 2008 meltdown and currently facing trial over his handling of the crisis, has insisted his government did the right thing early on by letting the banks fail and making creditors carry the losses.

“We saved the country from going bankrupt,” Haarde, 68, told AFP in an interview in July.

Key Lesson From Iceland Crisis: ?Let Banks Fail? - BlackListedNews.com
I agree we should not have bailed out the banks. But don't kid yourself, it would have been very painful. The collateral damage would have been huge. Icelandic banks are hardly global players. US bank failures would have had worldwide repercussions.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I agree we should not have bailed out the banks. But don't kid yourself, it would have been very painful. The collateral damage would have been huge. Icelandic banks are hardly global players. US bank failures would have had worldwide repercussions.
We are seeing those reprecussions now only they are worse because TARP allowed "too big to fail" to become even larger banks. Kicking the can down the road only makes the unavoidable crash even worse than it would have been without government interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I guess there aren't any bank depositors here, because they wouldn't be seeing their money anymore unless they were smart enough to physically extract their paper money before the collapse.

LOL at people thinking FDIC would actually make good on its guarantees under such a scenario.
Extracting worthless paper fiat currency is of no benefit unless it is converted to something of tangible value prior to the collapse of the currency. If you doubt me just look back into history to those Southerners who held only confederate dollars. The US dollar will become just that useful. Toilet paper will be worth significantly more.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Banks fail all of the time in this country.

FDIC: Failed Bank List

I'm glad that the government steps in because my bank accounts are very important to me. My retirement accounts are also very important to me. In 2008 the value of those accounts dropped 40% in one quarter. If all of those investment banks were allowed to fail AT THE SAME TIME my accounts would have been worthless. All of those years of saving and investing, wasted.

If it were only one investment bank in trouble, let it fail, but not all at the same time. That is my perspective from purely a self-interested point of view.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Banks fail all of the time in this country.

FDIC: Failed Bank List

I'm glad that the government steps in because my bank accounts are very important to me. My retirement accounts are also very important to me. In 2008 the value of those accounts dropped 40% in one quarter. If all of those investment banks were allowed to fail AT THE SAME TIME my accounts would have been worthless. All of those years of saving and investing, wasted.

If it were only one investment bank in trouble, let it fail, but not all at the same time. That is my perspective from purely a self-interested point of view.
Do you realize that the derivatives Merrill Lynch has transfered to Bank of America to be guaranteed by depositors and the FDIC is more than 3x our current national debt? This is but one example.

When the currency fails, if your accounts are invested in dollar based assetts only, they will still be worthless.

Get it?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you realize that the derivatives Merrill Lynch has transfered to Bank of America to be guaranteed by depositors and the FDIC is more than 3x our current national debt? This is but one example.

When the currency fails, if your accounts are invested in dollar based assetts only, they will still be worthless.

Get it?
You're always posting something about 'money' and express a worrisome concern. Why is that?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Get it?
You are assuming that the currency will fail. I am not that pessimistic.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Question is how can we let the banks (BIG banks) fail without their failures crushing everyone under them?

Answer: Not possible.

I'd say we treat the banks like we did GM and Chrysler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies