Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The very wealthy only pay 15% on capital gains, and most of their income comes from capital gains. That would be a 10% increase, but of course you already know that. You are just being intellectually dishonest. Par for the course.
No its not because capital gains is DOUBLE TAXED. Do you not understand that or are you the one being dishonest?

In addition 51% of americnas pay ZERO income tax.. Tell me which is more, 15% or ZERO?

I dont think the rich are paying not enough at 15%, I think everyone who pays more is OVER PAYING.

Here goes a good question, tell me why half of your income should go to government? People manage to buy homes, cars, feed my children, pay for their education, entertainment, trips etc on half of their income, tell me what the government does with the other half that justifies the expense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
A consumption tax is regressive. If you want equality, and that is what you are seeking then the only real equal tax is that on all income. You will never see this proposed, by either party.

As far the amount, I don't know what the percentage should be. I just threw an arbitrary number out there. To figure out the percentage they first must figure out how much revenue is required to balance the budget with the expenses. Then all you need to do is put the percentage required to meet that number. They of course will never do that...either side.
sorry but you are wrong

a consumption tax (a flat rate consumption tax rate) would tax EVERONE EQUALLY

income tax only taxes REPORTED income

a example:

you take your wife out to dance lessons every friday and saturday.. you have a kid...you pay a babysitter 75 each night, thats 150 every week, that's 7800 a year.. but you pay in cash, that INCOME is never reported, UNLESS you also gave her a 1099...that was 7800 not EVER reported as income...but was also 7800 that was SPENT...tax spending, not income

look at all the people who talk aboit the illegals and them not paying into the system...its that way for ANY INCOME from 'off the books' jobs

another example: a drug dealer...he sells one kilo for 10k every week, thats 52k in income that is never reported, never taxed by the feds as income, never had a payroll (ss/medi) tax on it, never had a state tax on it.....but he SPENT IT

tax spending

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No its not because capital gains is DOUBLE TAXED. Do you not understand that or are you the one being dishonest?

In addition 51% of americnas pay ZERO income tax.. Tell me which is more, 15% or ZERO?

I dont think the rich are paying not enough at 15%, I think everyone who pays more is OVER PAYING.

Here goes a good question, tell me why half of your income should go to government? People manage to buy homes, cars, feed my children, pay for their education, entertainment, trips etc on half of their income, tell me what the government does with the other half that justifies the expense?
You are missing the scope of the topic. I will be more clear and succinct. The Republican party caters to the very wealthy. The Democrat party attempts to cater to the middle class and the poor. Each parties policies reflect, which demographic that they cater to. The republican's tax plans are heavily slanted to favor the rich. Do you dispute that?

That does not mean I like the Democratic plans. A 15% tax would be an increase on someone who is paying nothing. The Democrats would never go for that because it would go against their base. The poor and the middle class.

The Republicans and Democrats are just slicing the pie to try to gain a base. That is just politics, but I disagree with it. The Republicans have shown clearly who they believe their base is.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sorry but you are wrong

a consumption tax (a flat rate consumption tax rate) would tax EVERONE EQUALLY

income tax only taxes REPORTED income

a example:

you take your wife out to dance lessons every friday and saturday.. you have a kid...you pay a babysitter 75 each night, thats 150 every week, that's 7800 a year.. but you pay in cash, that INCOME is never reported, UNLESS you also gave her a 1099...that was 7800 not EVER reported as income...but was also 7800 that was SPENT...tax spending, not income

look at all the people who talk aboit the illegals and them not paying into the system...its that way for ANY INCOME from 'off the books' jobs

another example: a drug dealer...he sells one kilo for 10k every week, thats 52k in income that is never reported, never taxed by the feds as income, never had a payroll (ss/medi) tax on it, never had a state tax on it.....but he SPENT IT

tax spending
Actually no I am not wrong. No law is going to cover people that are already breaking the law. There are already laws on the books for that just enforce them.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You are missing the scope of the topic. I will be more clear and succinct. The Republican party caters to the very wealthy. The Democrat party attempts to cater to the middle class and the poor. Each parties policies reflect, which demographic that they cater to. The republican's tax plans are heavily slanted to favor the rich. Do you dispute that?

That does not mean I like the Democratic plans. A 15% tax would be an increase on someone who is paying nothing. The Democrats would never go for that because it would go against their base. The poor and the middle class.

The Republicans and Democrats are just slicing the pie to try to gain a base. That is just politics, but I disagree with it. The Republicans have shown clearly who they believe their base is.
the democrats are against the middleclass...everything they do hurts the middleclass..they only ones they 'show' support for is the poor, who they keep on the government entitlement puppet string for their votes

Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Actually no I am not wrong. No law is going to cover people that are already breaking the law. There are already laws on the books for that just enforce them.
you just admitted , that you are wrong

you CANT tax income if it is not reported as such

btw...HOW would you enforce it...???? a bar code on everyones wrist???

tax spending....its a SIMPLE and EASY plan, and is the most EQUAL

give it a look...it even gives the poor a break with a prebate

www.fairtax.org

cant hurt to LEARN and RESEARCH, but you have to be OPEN MINDED and WILLING to learn

Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
the democrats are against the middleclass...everything they do hurts the middleclass..they only ones they 'show' support for is the poor, who they keep on the government entitlement puppet string for their votes
Well that is certainly what Republicans would like for you to think. The fact is that Republicans can't win an election just by having the very wealthy vote for them. They need a large part of the middle class as well and surprisingly a lot of the poor vote for Republicans.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You are missing the scope of the topic. I will be more clear and succinct. The Republican party caters to the very wealthy. The Democrat party attempts to cater to the middle class and the poor.
Wrong, Democratic party caters to larger government period. They have NO PROBLEM giving handouts to the rich and feel the governments job is to hand the nation by the hand as it travels through time.

Look at their handling of GM, Chrysler, the banks, green energy etc.
Quote:
The republican's tax plans are heavily slanted to favor the rich. Do you dispute that?
Suggesting that the rich pay too much in taxes isnt favoring the rich if they are paying MORE than everyone else. Its left wing kooks constantly attacking "the rich" pretending they dont pay enough even though they pay a HUGE portion of the taxes in america. If you guys didnt spend 24/7 attacking them, there wouldnt be a need to defend them so much.
Quote:
Good.. EVERYONE should be paying something. I find it odd that those who receive the most from government pay the least and then have the nerve to stand there complaining they dont receive enough.
Quote:
The Democrats are just using class warfare to divide the nation and common greed to obtain votes. The Republican base is everyone who doesnt need government to survive and those that dont feel government should be doing 1/2 of what they do. Democrats might do a better job at villiafying the GOP base but that doesnt mean its accurate.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
you just admitted , that you are wrong

you CANT tax income if it is not reported as such

btw...HOW would you enforce it...???? a bar code on everyones wrist???

tax spending....its a SIMPLE and EASY plan, and is the most EQUAL

give it a look...it even gives the poor a break with a prebate

www.fairtax.org

cant hurt to LEARN and RESEARCH, but you have to be OPEN MINDED and WILLING to learn
I have looked at it. The poor pay a much larger percentage of their income on goods, and so do the middle class. The wealthy pay a much smaller percentage of their income on consumption. That is why it is regressive. And no not wrong.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Well that is certainly what Republicans would like for you to think. The fact is that Republicans can't win an election just by having the very wealthy vote for them. They need a large part of the middle class as well and surprisingly a lot of the poor vote for Republicans.
People dont vote GOP because of wealth, they vote GOP because they dont need government to hold their hand and tell them how to get up in the morning and what to do all day. Wealth has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies