Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Victim of recession? Bachelor pads - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

1 in 5 men age 25-34 and fully 60% of men ages 18-24 still live with their parents. Women are only slightly behind.

It's shocking to me; I'm 33 and haven't lived at home since I was 19; I can't even comprehend living with my parents. WTF happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Alot of it has to do with crushing student loans. The Average Joe could work a menial job and still pay for basics like an apartment (shared), food, and gas. But the addition of high student loan debt loads to the mix completely rearranges the financial standing of many college grads. I feel for the parents, but I hope the lessons learned are that debt-to-income ratios are something that should be taken seriously by both students and parents alike when planning for the future. Adult children living at home with parents is not a good thing for America.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
the lost boys. they never grew up and stayed forever in never never land, paying x box games with peter pan and taking cultural enrichment classes at jr college.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I'm sure it's different in the crazy-expensive parts of the country but around here (SLC UT area) see plenty of 1 bed apartments for rent for only about $500/month. Even a job at McDonalds would give you enough to afford that...

So is it really economics or do these kids just not want to work?

Maybe this is the result of "helicopter parenting"... perhaps they never established a desire to be independent in the first place?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Kids leaving their parents' houses is mostly only a U.S. phenomenon. Most kids around the world don't enjoy this lifestyle because the cost of living relative to wages is disproportionately high in most countries. The U.S. is not going to go down in flames simply because more kids are staying at home. It's all economics

Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

1 in 5 men age 25-34 and fully 60% of men ages 18-24 still live with their parents. Women are only slightly behind.

It's shocking to me; I'm 33 and haven't lived at home since I was 19; I can't even comprehend living with my parents. WTF happened?

What about the mega-rich who live in a "compound" like the Kennedys?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Alot of it has to do with crushing student loans. The Average Joe could work a menial job and still pay for basics like an apartment (shared), food, and gas. But the addition of high student loan debt loads to the mix completely rearranges the financial standing of many college grads. I feel for the parents, but I hope the lessons learned are that debt-to-income ratios are something that should be taken seriously by both students and parents alike when planning for the future. Adult children living at home with parents is not a good thing for America.
I don't feel for the parents at all. This is what they get for telling Johnny he can get a degree in underwater basket weaving, and live the life that makes him happy, regardless of the marketability of his degree. They've never told their kids to get a job while going to school (because education is apparently a job now), asked them to pay rent, or expected any sort of responsibility of any kind out of these basement boarders.

Not every situation is like this, but most that I personally know of are.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Kids leaving their parents' houses is mostly only a U.S. phenomenon. Most kids around the world don't enjoy this lifestyle because the cost of living relative to wages is disproportionately high in most countries. The U.S. is not going to go down in flames simply because more kids are staying at home. It's all economics

I agree. There is nothing wrong with staying home and TAKING CARE of your parents after they retire and taking over their home and assets.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
The 60% ages 18-24 makes sense, a lot of people like my nephew live at home but commute to school because campus housing is really expensive.

25-34, there used to be FAR less people living at home at that age around 15 years ago. What's different now is that the cost of living is much, much higher and jobs are not very plentiful in most places. I moved out on my own at 22 into a 1-bed studio apartment back in 1998. I made it on my own just fine that first year only making $10 an hour. Try and do that now, it's close to impossible.

Real estate prices are still too high for younger people to afford too. Younger people should look for deals on condos in Vegas, Phoenix, and many places in Florida. I bought my 2-bed 1.5 bath 1250 sq. ft. condo here which is nearly new construction for $59,000. That's affordable for someone making a modest wage. My condo would probably cost $250,000 or more where I used to live.

Contrary to the media, jobs are somewhat easy to come by here. If you're extremely desperate and can tolerate nasty winters, look for jobs in North Dakota. Oil boom brings high-paying jobs to North Dakota - Sep. 28, 2011

Companies there have been recruiting heavily in cities with very high unemployment, and desperate people who have not worked in more than a year are finding work there in ND.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

I don't think that it's right to use those who are still in college in those numbers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies