Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 PM

59,023 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Nice deflection, how about keeping the thread on topic for a change instead of bringing up something that happened 4 years ago.
If you can't take it, don't dish it out!

The point is, all people screw up now and then. To make a big deal out of it is childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Because right now you're locked in to one company via your employer, in most cases. With 5 or 6 major companies fighting for your business, with no limits on where it can be purchased, the price will go down.

The way it is now? You almost have no choice at all. Either take what your employer got suckered into, or pay through the nose to get it individually.
You would be wrong. You are NOT locked in. Even if your company offers health care you are NOT required to take it.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Rick Perry Doesn't Know Which Agencies he would Eliminate
Reminded me of this old gem:

LUKE: Will you shut up and listen to me! Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level, will ya? Do you copy? Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level! Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level!

C-3PO: [to R2-D2] No! Shut them *all* down, hurry!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Just watched it. The funniest and worst screw up I have ever seen at a presidential debate.

The funny thing is, it was obvious that he forgot his lines. If he had spend ten minutes thinking about the topic he would not have completely forgotten. So, I will eliminate three agencies that I know nothing about. Not even marginally responsible, little on presidential.....get serious about your candidates GOP.
Don't know how old you are but, there have been plenty of screw ups. Best and worst are personal opinions.

"Carter easily bested Ford, who is remembered for making the bizarre declaration that Poland wasn't under Soviet domination.

"In 1980 Carter found himself up against a real pro, the former star of the General Electric Theater. Ronald Reagan demonstrated repeatedly in his encounters why politicians hated to share the same stage with him. (After an encounter in 1967 Robert Kennedy groused to an aide as he made his exit, "Don't ever put me on with that sonofabitch again.") Carter attempted to show that Reagan was a scary warmonger, but it was Carter who frightened people when he claimed, in his notorious answer to a question about nuclear weapons, that he consulted his teenage daughter Amy for advice. "I had a discussion with Amy the other day before I came here, to ask her what the most important issue was. She said she thought nuclear weaponry and the control of nuclear arms [was]."

When Carter accused Reagan of wanting to cut the Medicare program, Reagan famously cocked his head, in a moment that had been scripted during rehearsals, "There you go again." Carter never recovered from the crack. In his closing remarks Reagan successfully shifted the nature of the election. Carter until then had succeeded in making Reagan's competence to hold the presidency the critical question facing voters. In a few sentences Reagan turned the election into a referendum on Carter's handling of the economy. "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" he asked. The answer was obvious. Polls which had showed the race in a dead heat suddenly reflected a last-minute surge for Reagan. A week later Reagan won in landslide.

In 2000 Al Gore was expected to demolish George W. in the debates. He didn't. That worked to W.'s advantage -- evidence of how vital it is to win the game of "expectations" in advance of the debates. By not losing the debates W. actually was perceived as a winner. Gore's problem was not that he lost the debates; many people thought that he had scored more hits than Bush. But three different Al Gores showed up at the three debates. In the first debate there was Arrogant Al, sneering and huffing while Bush spoke. In the second there was Milquetoast Al, now so meek and mild that he appeared to have been drugged. In the final debate Normal Al showed up -- but by then it was too late. The indelible impression had been left that he was uncomfortable in his own skin, as the conventional wisdom had it."

Read the entire article
History News Network (http://hnn.us/articles/7478.html - broken link)

Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You would be wrong. You are NOT locked in. Even if your company offers health care you are NOT required to take it.
Does there always have to be the ridiculous and obvious response of "you are not required to buy it" when someone talks about pricing for something? Really?

Thanks a lot for stating the obvious. So helpful.

Yes, let's not get health insurance. That will solve the problem!

While we're at it, we can toss dental care out the window too, and gum our food into tiny bits before swallowing. People will be ugly as hell, but at least the men will be happy

Old 11-11-2011, 04:10 PM

152 posts, read 186,050 times
I guess our chances of getting rid of Perry as Governor of Texas are getting slimmer by the moment, not that there ever was much chance of it happening.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
I guess our chances of getting rid of Perry as Governor of Texas are getting slimmer by the moment, not that there ever was much chance of it happening.
Oh no. You can't pawn off two crappy governors on us. Y'all better start vetting these bozos a little better and stop voting based on how good they look in a Stetson, lol.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well lets see, I probably knew the word curbstone since I was 3 or 4 but I wasn't prepared for the conversation?

Sorry but it happens, how many gaffes has Obama or any politician make? Ever walk into a room and wonder what it was you went to get in the room? These topics are humorous and they show that politicians are human but they distract from the real issues.
The difference is that Perry's campaign is all about less government. He may or may not know what he is talking about. Bottom line is he choked at the one of the worst possible moment and made himself look unintelligent and unprepared, regardless if he is in fact those things.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM

386 posts, read 232,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Conservatives and Tea Baggers like Rick Perry. He knows all the names of Churches in Texas. Probably he knows all types of Guns and Cowboy hats. He wanted to secede from the union anyways so they dont care about agencies of the government. What was the name of his ranch in Texas? What else do Tea Party need???
Why are you expressing so much hatred for a decent man with an excellent record who has NEVER lost an election??? Oh, yes, I get it. He NEVER lost an election.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Does there always have to be the ridiculous and obvious response of "you are not required to buy it" when someone talks about pricing for something? Really?

Thanks a lot for stating the obvious. So helpful.

Yes, let's not get health insurance. That will solve the problem!

While we're at it, we can toss dental care out the window too, and gum our food into tiny bits before swallowing. People will be ugly as hell, but at least the men will be happy
If you are going to use a term, "locked in", you should know what it means.

You are NOT locked in to by insurance from your employer as you claim.

Obviously it is NOT obvious to you if you don't realize what "locked in" means.

I know a lot of people who don't have dental care and their teeth are just fine.

Your over exaggeration gets you nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies