Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
People who work in downtown Portland(like me) are tired of them, but the other end of downtown is actually nicer since Occupy Portland started. It's had the effect of concentrating all the homeless, druggies, street kids in one park surrounded by government buildings away from the parts of downtown with more to do.

I was walking around Pioneer Square last weekend and it seems so nice and quiet with few homeless or street kids around. Anyhow Portland is a mostly liberal town, and most people are kind of tired of Occupy Portland. The riots tonight should be good Saturday night viewing though.
Yes, I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I'm sure the protesters will cry police brutality in the process.

This riot and the one in Oakland should cement the inevitable backlash against the ridiculous occupy bowel movement.

Let's see these leftists come back next year and actually do something, like WIN some elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 03:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well at least it will be late, so many people won't be out and about (unless last call is midnight)
A couple weeks ago they had people try to form a separate Occupy Portland protest in Jamison Square in the Pearl District(the nice, rich neighborhood just north of Downtown Portland) and the police shut it down on a Saturday night right at the same time as most of the bars were shutting down(around 2:30 am). The police had to deal with a bunch of drunk twentysomethings who had nothing to do with the protests but wandered by to see what was going on.

They didn't want to clear out the main encampemnt on Sunday night because they wanted to clean everything up before Monday morning when everyone comes back to work downtown. They don't want to have to deal with any hangers on by the time of the morning commute in to downtown--or if there's any damage they'll have Sunday to clean stuff up. Anyhow, I work across the street from the police bureau and you can tell the cops have been waiting for this for weeks. The last few days there's been cops out in riot gear, mounted police, plainclothes cops, all circling a few block downtown, just waiting for the order. My guess is that most will go fairly peacfully, they'll be some anarchists who will try to provoke things further and maybe get a beatdown. The homeless people who streamed into the camp since it founded already seem to be leaving--they were basically just there for the free food and a place to camp out--they're not stupid enough to hang around long enough to get a tear gas canister in the face...

Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I would hope cooler heads will prevail and people will leave peacefully to protest another day. However, I'm a realist and don't see any good coming of any of this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ay-arming.html
I hope it doesn't turn violent but if anarchists are there when the police show up to clear the park at midnight, I am pretty sure the police will be targets.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A couple weeks ago they had people try to form a separate Occupy Portland protest in Jamison Square in the Pearl District(the nice, rich neighborhood just north of Downtown Portland) and the police shut it down on a Saturday night right at the same time as most of the bars were shutting down(around 2:30 am). The police had to deal with a bunch of drunk twentysomethings who had nothing to do with the protests but wandered by to see what was going on.

They didn't want to clear out the main encampemnt on Sunday night because they wanted to clean everything up before Monday morning when everyone comes back to work downtown. They don't want to have to deal with any hangers on by the time of the morning commute in to downtown--or if there's any damage they'll have Sunday to clean stuff up. Anyhow, I work across the street from the police bureau and you can tell the cops have been waiting for this for weeks. The last few days there's been cops out in riot gear, mounted police, plainclothes cops, all circling a few block downtown, just waiting for the order. My guess is that most will go fairly peacfully, they'll be some anarchists who will try to provoke things further and maybe get a beatdown. The homeless people who streamed into the camp since it founded already seem to be leaving--they were basically just there for the free food and a place to camp out--they're not stupid enough to hang around long enough to get a tear gas canister in the face...
Portland is a beautiful city. Too bad that meth amphetamine seems to be the city's gross product.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times

Old 11-12-2011, 03:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
It's about time. Jean Quan has handled this situation with almost criminal incompetence.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:49 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's about time. Jean Quan has handled this situation with almost criminal incompetence.
She's the mayor of Oakland, not Portland.

I think they're about to be evicted too though.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
People, cities, businesses have had enough of these job killers, these killers of business, the rapes, assaults, druggies and generally bad but typical far leftist behavior.

Occupy Portland: Mayor Sam Adams orders camps cleared at 12:01 a.m. Sunday | OregonLive.com

Occupy Portland: Mayor Sam Adams orders camps cleared at 12:01 a.m. Sunday

About time the city officials, who have BROKEN city ordinances/laws in allowing this bowel movement to continue, are finally seeing the light.

These squatters are costing businesses dearly.

Sad days when "reports of crime" is enough for a Mayor to take away peoples freedoms.

Whatever happened until innocent until proven guilty? How about the police do their jobs and stop crime, but allow free demonstration by legal citizens?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
70%+ disapprove of her handling of the occupation.

She is in political PARALYSIS in making a decision.

Portland officials have appeased the lawbreakers as well, something I'm absolutely positive they would never do for the TP.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Sad days when "reports of crime" is enough for a Mayor to take away peoples freedoms.

Whatever happened until innocent until proven guilty? How about the police do their jobs and stop crime, but allow free demonstration by legal citizens?
They are "free" to assemble...and then MOVE on, day after day if they wish.

They are NOT free to camp, which is against city ordinances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies