Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I had a total hysterectomy at the age of 20 due to cancer.

I made it.

BTW, I think no kids was the key to my success.
Not to downplay a hysterectomy, but NOT having a ton of kids does free up resources and is one expense that can be avoided. Especially if you're single. But you can't say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What about my friend who was a foster care kid. What family is supposed to pitch in for him?
Government pays 100% of care for foster care kids. If you really had a friend with foster care kids, you'd know this.

You still havent explained why you are part of the 99%. Simply being sick and having insurance doesnt explain it. It sounds to me like your employer has been very kind to you, even paying for your education, so why exactly again are you part of the 99% group who thinks they are entitled to more?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I had the same thing at age 25 with no insurance. Here I am almost 50 years later..We did have kids afterwards: 2, that we adopted plus foster kids.

Nita
I am raising my x-husband's sister's daughter.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Not to downplay a hysterectomy, but NOT having a ton of kids does free up resources and is one expense that can be avoided. Especially if you're single. But you can't say that.
I disagree.....

I put every dime in my business.

With a child I could not do that.

So I am not part of the 99%.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I disagree.....

I put every dime in my business.

With a child I could not do that.

So I am not part of the 99%.
I actually agreed with you Driller. And need to order some Mackinac fudge.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Sorry to hear this. Conservatives would just assume you die than make a billionaire pay 1% more in taxes.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I guess the thing that is obvious to me is that it is but for the grace of God that any one of us is not hit by disease or an accident or whatever, and I cannot fathom who the wealthiest country in the history of the world cannot buffer this risk through free, public health care. No other civilized country on earth is as callous as us. We tut tut people all the time about how with just the right luck and industry they could have avoided it or could vanquish it. That is just not true, and it shows a failure of both empathy (and community) and critical thinking.

I am ashamed that such things occur here, and it makes me question the greatness of our country. The first duty of a wealthy country is to care for its citizens, but we don't.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Health care is not a right unfortunately. This country was solely built on man wanting to better himself. Everyone in life was supposed to work hard to chase that carrot. Everyone was supposed to have flesh in the game. And for a while it worked. Nowadays folks hand out trophies just for showing up.

As for the OP, as a physician, I wish her well and it seems as though she received excellent care. A public option would have been a greater addition over more regulation.

And this country or more specifically, state governments, hospitals and some degree insurance carriers eat billions in unrecouped cost each year- this is partially why premiums are so high- to cover those that can't pay.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:37 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
That is unfortunate and I am sorry to hear it, it sounds like both you and your boyfriend could actually use the help. Hopefully something comes through for you both.

That said, while I'm sure you and your boyfriend are not the only ones to come down with serious and expensive illnesses, you aren't representative of the population of people who go to the OWS protests. Many of those kids seem like they are fairly well off due to all the pics and posts and news stories I've seen about iphones and laptops being stolen, and wearing very nice clothes, and drinking $4 cups of coffee while they are not working. THEY don't seem to need it as much as you do. That's where my problem lies- people who simply aren't trying hard enough to get by when there's always an option vs. people who truly need the help because they're doing the best they can to get by and it still isn't enough.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
No, my children are not in the 99%....... They work and respect the rights of others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies