Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

18-Year-old Girl Tweets 144 Times before Committing Suicide (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/111108-18-year-old-girl-tweets-144-times-before-committing-suicide - broken link)

It's a damn shame what some children have to go through, and even when they go to authorities, are rebuked by the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
What a ****ing failure on the part of the systems that are supposed to protect her.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
It's sad that we'd rather go after people planting their own gardens, or people homeschooling their kids, but kids that are being abused is a-ok.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
It's a shame the friends that followed her Tweets didn't care enough about her to do a thing about it...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
What a ****ing failure on the part of the systems that are supposed to protect her.
There is no system on Earth that can protect one from themselves...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I couldn't gather from the story as to why, at 18 years old, she was the apparent victim of prostitution? Was she holed up in a hotel under the close eye of a pimp? Was she there at her own will, not knowing a direction to take to just get up and change her life? Who was doing the assaulting?

It's sad, but I didn't see anything in the article that asserted that she was forced into this particular situation.

Perhaps more of the story will come to light.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
18-Year-old Girl Tweets 144 Times before Committing Suicide (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/111108-18-year-old-girl-tweets-144-times-before-committing-suicide - broken link)

It's a damn shame what some children have to go through, and even when they go to authorities, are rebuked by the system.
Very sad, you have to wonder why the friends, family and people around her were so closed off to the searing pain she was enduring.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
My brother and I a number of years back dragged one of those child protection agencies all the way to the Supreme Court..Along the way I did notice something about these lieing bureacrats...when it got down to the crunch the only thing they were really protecting was their own jobs and income.

If you here the word "service" within a title beware - they usually serve themselves..This poor girl had no protection - The old rule used to be that a father's real role was not to be a slavish provider - but a protector of his chidlren..now if a dad stands up and attempts to repel those that try to harm his child - they drag him away and leave the abusers to run wild..

I feel so sorry for a kid that really has no real parents ...and is dependent on the state to protect them - the state does not love children - It is the job of the parent who DO love them to protect them.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

Oh whatever.

She was 18 years old. She could have moved away, gotten a job and changed her life. Instead, she cried on everyone's shoulder looking for "help". She was an adult, not a 6 year old child. She had choices, options.

I do not feel sorry for weak people. I worked with a very nice woman once, who had been pimped out when she was 10 years old to pay her mother's rent. She wasn't happy about it, but it didn't stop her from moving on, living a decent, productive life. She was strong and she was determined NOT to let the past destroy her life or her future.

The girl who killed herself is typical of a society where people think that someone else has to make it better, when it fact only WE can change our life and make it better.

I am sorry she was so weak. It's unfortunate when someone dies unnecessarily.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
WE need to quit protecting the abusers and get the proper laws in place to protect our kids! These kids are All of our kids!!!!! Because they are our Future! I wonder if this comes on the heels of coach and the reaction of some of the public. One of the reasons kids don't come forward is fear of not being believed and fear of being attacked for ruining the life of the abuser especially if they are well liked in the community.
Everyone that has knowledge of abuse of any kind to a child needs to speak out for gods sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies