Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,286 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving as Day to Shop Meets Rejection - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thanksgiving-day-shop-meets-rejection-123025036.html - broken link)

I was wondering when retailers would ruin Thanksgiving for their workers and customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Thanksgiving as Day to Shop Meets Rejection - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thanksgiving-day-shop-meets-rejection-123025036.html - broken link)

I was wondering when retailers would ruin Thanksgiving for their workers and customers.
I would say they already had, way before this. Seriously who in the heck gets up at four in the morning to go shopping after eating half their body-weight in food? I'd never do that.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Many retail stores have been open Turkey day for several years now.

Kmart I believe was the first National Chain be open.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,139 times
Greed, pure unadulterated greed.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,286 times
I have gone BF shopping exactly twice. Never again. I can go to ten stores in under ten minutes online. I don't need the hassle and I can sleep in.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,216,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

Don't waste your time. It's not uncommon for a store to have 5 items. Scam.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Greed, pure unadulterated greed.
Greed is good, without it you wouldn't be able to post to this forum because AlGore wouldn't have invented the Internets.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
The grocery stores in this area (Giant and Safeway are the largest with Food Lion and Whole Foods way behind them along with some independents) have been open Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and New Year's for the last several years. I can't speak for Food Lion or Whole Foods since I don't know anyone who works there but the Giant and Safeway employees get triple time for Thanksgiving and Christmas and double for Easter and New Year's.

Years ago when I worked in a glass factory we shut down from Christmas Eve through New Year's but the guys that worked clean-up and maintenance over that time got paid triple time for coming in. Those of us who didn't work the break got paid for most of the days off. Easter was time and a half. We also had a shift differential. The plant shut down at 7AM Thanksgiving morning ande didn't re-open until 11PM the following Monday (which is the first day of deer season in PA so everyone would have taken vacation anyway).

Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
If these retailers had any brains they would cancel the black friday 6am deal fiasco this year. We got youth gangs roaming US streets freely here lately, occupy loons who think everybody owes em something all ready to pounce. The usual tramplings and fistfights over a cabbage patch doll may really get ugly this year. Of course that is what THEY want to happen.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,129 times
After years of chasing BF "deals", i've finally realized it's all bogus.

That crap they put on sale, forcing us to stand in line at ridiculous hours is all junk.

All that merchandise is cheap crap, that doesn't last. Many top stores even sell BF only models on things like TV's, that are inferior to the regular stuff.

I will go out on BF, but late and I won't chase big ticket items, people have literally been killed and crushed to death over electronics that aren't even worth it. Last year several people even lost their kids in the stores chasing toys and videogame consoles.

Look at the model #'s and SKU's on those items at places like Walmart, Best Buy and Target, it's all junk. There's a reason why they're selling it so cheap, it is! The stuff on sale typically has no advanced features and is the bare minimum in quality.

When I get a new flat screen TV, I want it to be top of the line in quality so it last. Not some no name brand trash for $300.

Also it's outrageous that underpaid employees have to give up their holiday to deal with massive amounts of customers for long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies