Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I hope he is not becoming senile. That's embarassing that he said it, publicly. Poor guy....losin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Are you suggesting that one cannot be a liberal to be a general in the military? Why not poll the republican base and ask them if they feel he is a conservative or liberal voice? The fact that liberals drool over the guy is proof enough.
The problem with the Republican party today is this.

I may support

1. No new taxes
2. Outlaw abortions
3. A strict immigration policy
4. Increased military spending

etc.

But if you don't support one, two, three, and four, then you are a RINO.

The party isn't increasing its tent size, its shrinking it.

The Republican party picked up so many seats in 2010, not because people wanted conservative principles, its because they were tired of the way things were going.

And as was shown in Tuesdays elections, there was significant push back in some places.

If the Republican nominee wins, its not because they want conservative hard core right wingers in office, its because they are tired of the way things are going.

Stimulus for wall street, record profits at banks that got bail outs while we are over 9% unemployment, Endless wars, and the wealth gap widening. Thats what Americans want stopped. Read anymore into it, and you are dooming yourself to failure.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The problem with the Republican party today is this.

I may support

1. No new taxes
2. Outlaw abortions
3. A strict immigration policy
4. Increased military spending

etc.

But if you don't support one, two, three, and four, then you are a RINO.

The party isn't increasing its tent size, its shrinking it.

The Republican party picked up so many seats in 2010, not because people wanted conservative principles, its because they were tired of the way things were going.

And as was shown in Tuesdays elections, there was significant push back in some places.

If the Republican nominee wins, its not because they want conservative hard core right wingers in office, its because they are tired of the way things are going.

Stimulus for wall street, record profits at banks that got bail outs while we are over 9% unemployment, Endless wars, and the wealth gap widening. Thats what Americans want stopped. Read anymore into it, and you are dooming yourself to failure.
I get what you're saying and much of what you say is true and can be said for BOTH parties. Hell, that's how Obama got elected and wrongfully thought he had a mandate to push through his agenda. However, suggesting that republicans should get behind a guy who endorsed and voted for Obama is asking a LOT of us. He is the antithesis to what conservatives stand for.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I hope he is not becoming senile. That's embarassing that he said it, publicly. Poor guy....losin it.
Seems pretty lucid to me but then I would never expect you to take the time to find the quotation and read it:
“So, what you’re seeing with ‘Occupy Wall Street’ and the others are people who are unhappy, and they’re directing their unhappiness right now towards Wall Street and towards those they think are doing to well in our society,” he continued. “And so, demonstrating like this is as American as apple pie. We have been marching up and down and demonstrating throughout our history. … And so, I get a little concerned when demonstrations turn into violence, or when some of the demonstrators demonstrate absolute nihilism and they’re really not interested in anything but destruction and tearing down the system.”

Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying and much of what you say is true and can be said for BOTH parties. Hell, that's how Obama got elected and wrongfully thought he had a mandate to push through his agenda. However, suggesting that republicans should get behind a guy who endorsed and voted for Obama is asking a LOT of us. He is the antithesis to what conservatives stand for.

Well lets be real here. Why did Powell endorse President Obama?

Part of it, and he admitted this, was because of his race.

Most of his support was for Obama because Powell was sick of the endless wars, the treatement of detainees, and the over stretching of the military. McCain was going to follow the same policies of the Bush administration.

Granted, President Obama went back on most of those campaign promises, but at the time this is what Powell was pulling for. Its part of the reason why many Republicans voted for President Obama, they were tired of war.

Here we are, 4 years later, and we are still there.

I'm not asking that anyone support Powell. But what he said about the OWS crowd is true, free speech is beautiful, even when I disagree with it. The TEA party members I mostly don't agree with either, but I support their movement as free people.

That is what Powell was saying, and it has nothing to do with how liberal or how conservative he is.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:05 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seems pretty lucid to me but then I would never expect you to take the time to find the quotation and read it:
“So, what you’re seeing with ‘Occupy Wall Street’ and the others are people who are unhappy, and they’re directing their unhappiness right now towards Wall Street and towards those they think are doing to well in our society,†he continued. “And so, demonstrating like this is as American as apple pie. We have been marching up and down and demonstrating throughout our history. … And so, I get a little concerned when demonstrations turn into violence, or when some of the demonstrators demonstrate absolute nihilism and they’re really not interested in anything but destruction and tearing down the system.â€
Thanks for posting that. I didn't read before I commented.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Well lets be real here. Why did Powell endorse President Obama?

Part of it, and he admitted this, was because of his race.

Most of his support was for Obama because Powell was sick of the endless wars, the treatement of detainees, and the over stretching of the military. McCain was going to follow the same policies of the Bush administration.

Granted, President Obama went back on most of those campaign promises, but at the time this is what Powell was pulling for. Its part of the reason why many Republicans voted for President Obama, they were tired of war.

Here we are, 4 years later, and we are still there.

I'm not asking that anyone support Powell. But what he said about the OWS crowd is true, free speech is beautiful, even when I disagree with it. The TEA party members I mostly don't agree with either, but I support their movement as free people.

That is what Powell was saying, and it has nothing to do with how liberal or how conservative he is.
I meant people in this thread demonizing the conservatives who don't support Powell. I respect everyone's right to free speech until legal lines are crossed. It appears that the OWS crowd is increasingly becoming more violent and illegal as a movement as the days pass. I don't necessarily disagree with Powell's quote, but the OP certainly didn't attempt to portray the quote in context either.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I meant people in this thread demonizing the conservatives who don't support Powell. I respect everyone's right to free speech until legal lines are crossed. It appears that the OWS crowd is increasingly becoming more violent and illegal as a movement as the days pass. I don't necessarily disagree with Powell's quote, but the OP certainly didn't attempt to portray the quote in context either.
And would the Vietnam war have been ended without some violence at student protests?

They aren't breaking the law, they are sitting in a public park for crying out loud. Most of the times they've been accused of "breaking the law" is when city leaders suddenly decide they want them to move and pass resolutions to clean parks knowing that it will anger the protestors.

How about the police officers throwing concussion grenades within feet of wounded Iraq vets lying on the ground?

People, including the OP, have a way of tuning things to their point of view. Its just human nature.

What General Powell was saying is that protests, like OWS and the TEA party rallies are as American as apple pie. I see little wrong with that statement or thinking.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
And would the Vietnam war have been ended without some violence at student protests?

They aren't breaking the law, they are sitting in a public park for crying out loud. Most of the times they've been accused of "breaking the law" is when city leaders suddenly decide they want them to move and pass resolutions to clean parks knowing that it will anger the protestors.

How about the police officers throwing concussion grenades within feet of wounded Iraq vets lying on the ground?

People, including the OP, have a way of tuning things to their point of view. Its just human nature.

What General Powell was saying is that protests, like OWS and the TEA party rallies are as American as apple pie. I see little wrong with that statement or thinking.
That was the point of my OP, but not as eloquently stated.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
i dont think that was his exact quote... his exact quote was that protesting was as american as apple pie. I watched the interview. He was implying that people have the right to protest, even if you disagree with what they're protesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies