Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,058,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Uh, no we don't. I live in Illinois and make 4.50 an hour, which is heavily taxed because I report most of my tips (our restaurant forces us to)
Um, you still make at minimum, minimum wage - that's required under the law. The reason your restaurant forces you to report tips is because they are under the legal requirement to make sure that, with tips, you make at least minimum wage. Minimum wage in Illinois is $8.25 per hour. If during a pay period you only reported enough tips so that your hourly wager was $7.25, your resturant would have to pay you an additional $1.00 per hour worked in order for them to be in compliance with Illinois minimum wage law. Lets say in a pay period you never once received a tip. Your restaurant could not pay you $4.50 per hour, they'd have to give you $8.25

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,045,362 times
It's her word against theirs. No one knows what happened, so there is no sense in having an opinion on the incident until more facts come out.

Applebee's is garbage anyway. Outside of 1 or 2 items, i don't even know how they stay in business.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,489,242 times
And yet, you would have us believe that servers who don't want to wait on black patrons are providing the same level of service as they would to white patrons? Is it really that unreasonable to belief that if a server thinks they are going to be a better tip with a different group of customers, that they would focus they attention there?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
I didn't have a personal bias against them until I started working in the restaurant industry. And this is a common thing among many restaurant servers, sorry to say buddy. Even among black servers, they don't like having black patrons either. At least at the restaurant I've worked at in the Chicago suburbs. This girl I work with who is black will PAY the hostesses not to sit her black tables on a busy night.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

417 posts, read 364,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, you still make at minimum, minimum wage - that's required under the law. The reason your restaurant forces you to report tips is because they are under the legal requirement to make sure that, with tips, you make at least minimum wage. Minimum wage in Illinois is $8.25 per hour. If during a pay period you only reported enough tips so that your hourly wager was $7.25, your resturant would have to pay you an additional $1.00 per hour worked in order for them to be in compliance with Illinois minimum wage law. Lets say in a pay period you never once received a tip. Your restaurant could not pay you $4.50 per hour, they'd have to give you $8.25

If you don't want to tip, don't go out to eat, simple as that. If you are a bad tipper and regularly visit the same restaurant, chances are you are eating someone elses DNA along with your food.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,465,167 times
Quote:
Maybe some white servers haven't, and I know a couple girls at my restaurant who don't give them good service. But you can usually get a vibe early on when they get sat if they are going to be rude and demanding, request that things get comped off their bill, etc. When this happens to me, I usually keep my cool and I'm still a good server, it's just irritating.

And there are just as many trashy white folks that go out to eat as well, but considering whites make up 70% of the population, there should be a lot more trashy white folk who come in and leave **** tips in proportion to blacks but there aren't. I don't know if there is some social stigma or thing going around in the black community but simply put many blacks just don't understand the concept of tipping or treating their servers properly.

And I never said I hate black people, but that I hate serving them because the odds of getting tipped good by them are a lot lower than any other group. And the "scum" thing was a little overboard on my part, I'll agree with that and I usually don't think they are really scum, I just assume they are bad tippers until they prove otherwise.

Maybe its because people like yourself would treat "trashy White" patrons with greater respect simply because they are White versus Black patrons that you make the assumption will be problems as soon as they walk in the door.

This discussion reminds me of one of my best friends in high school (who happened to be White) We attended a private school but her family really couldn't afford tuition so she received financial support. When we would go to the mall or coffeehouse etc, she would sometimes steal. She would steal little things like costume jewelry or sandwiches/danishes/muffins/etc. But I would be the one that shop owners would follow and watch like a hawk. They saw my Black face and made the assumption that I needed to be watched while my White friend and her sticky fingers was actually the one stealing from them.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
And yet, you would have us believe that servers who don't want to wait on black patrons are providing the same level of service as they would to white patrons? Is it really that unreasonable to belief that if a server thinks they are going to be a better tip with a different group of customers, that they would focus they attention there?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Since most restaurants it is customary to only have a three table section, it isn't too hard to give the same level of service to three tables unless you are clueless, so yes I would expect any server to give the same service to the same three tables usually.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Maybe its because people like yourself would treat "trashy White" patrons with greater respect simply because they are White versus Black patrons that you make the assumption will be problems as soon as they walk in the door.

This discussion reminds me of one of my best friends in high school (who happened to be White) We attended a private school but her family really couldn't afford tuition so she received financial support. When we would go to the mall or coffeehouse etc, she would sometimes steal. She would steal little things like costume jewelry or sandwiches/danishes/muffins/etc. But I would be the one that shop owners would follow and watch like a hawk. They saw my Black face and made the assumption that I needed to be watched while my White friend and her sticky fingers was actually the one stealing from them.

Um, no I wouldn't treat white trash any differently than I would treat whites, or blacks, or black trash. They all get treated the same. I may assume things about them differently, but their treatment is the same.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Black friend of mine has been waiting tables for 30 years.

He says its true.

Personally, I have no idea. Closest I ever came was working a summer at McDs. No discernable difference amongst customers due to color.

Moth's one Black friend agrees...thread can be closed now

I'm Black and I have never experienced my Black friends or family who did not tip well for good service.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Um, no I wouldn't treat white trash any differently than I would treat whites, or blacks, or black trash. They all get treated the same. I may assume things about them differently, but their treatment is the same.
Sure you do. That's believeable.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,196,657 times
Quote:
If you don't want to tip, don't go out to eat, simple as that. If you are a bad tipper and regularly visit the same restaurant, chances are you are eating someone elses DNA along with your food.
This is despicable and one of the main reasons why I don't complain at restaurants. Just never know what nuts they have working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies