Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, actually I said those jobs should pay a livable wage, which is a considerably different idea than "huge salary".

<---- right back at ya, baby!
Define "livable wage".

To my brother, it's $30,000. To me, it's $100,000 +. Who decides?

This is where your argument breaks down.

Mine simply cannot be broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tell me why a 16 year old with no skill and no education should get a livable wage flipping burgers?
In this example, even in a free market (no minimum wage), the employer must pay him more than zero because the kid would not work for that wage. Zero is the kid's livable wage unless he is paying Mom and Dad room and board. If my wife chose to go back to work her living wage would also be zero, since I currently keep her clothed, housed and fed.

I actually save, or blow, half my income. Glad I ain't gettin' that livable wage.

Encouraging people to remain ignorant and unskilled is doing them, and our nation, a great disservice.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Define "livable wage".

Thought I'd take that even farther and say that some families (emphasis on multiple family members and not just a single guy) live a lifestyle that allows them to live on around $3,000 - $6,000 (and one can live on less than that, with the right choices, commitment, and skills). And to them, that's a good life.... These people go out of their way to live a simple and deliberate life within the confines of very modest means.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:22 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
In med school I lived on about $900 a month, in a very expensive city. This was what I was budgeted. After rent, utilities I had about $100 a week to eat, entertain and buy gas with. Some students got money from parents, some were chronically broke.

I lived within my means, got one of the cheapest apartments I could find and didn't eat out much. I stressed over girls order drinks and appetizers on dates. Cab? "It's only 44 blocks and it's nice out". Bar? "Let's drink here and just talk."

It'd be hard to do that today with a family and kid- but a the point is, if you know what you're likely to pull in this free market economy, that's what you budget for a live within.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Not to be crude- but sometimes you know it's just going to rain. Just use common sense.

You're a health care professional, so is there level I data to support the fact that McDonald's (and that's crew member jobs, not management) was not meant to be a full-time job which to raise a family? No. It's not there. Historically did kids usually work there, was it seen as entry-level, yes.

You seem to be being difficult on this topic for no reason at all.

So to make it clear, I've flipped pizzas, been a janitor, been a waiter, worked at Bennigan's and guess what- there are people that raise families with those type jobs. However, were those type jobs ever intended to deliver a huge salary? No.

Were the jobs ever meant to be permanent? You could argue the merits but in the sense of objectivism- you get your foot in the door then move up- so NO those jobs were not meant to be permanent.

This is turning into an M&M- sometimes you gotta call it as you see it.

Give it up.
Why? Because I disagree with you? I Don't Think So!

I don't know how you can determine what these jobs were intended for, other than to get the work done for McDonald's.

I"ve known some fast-food workers who were there a long time, like the guy who worked the drive-through window at a McD's I used to go to for coffee on my way to work.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You're right. It probably is better to allow people to starve, be homeless and become desperate enough to hurt others in order to live. Much better.
I don't think we let people starve in this country but we need to do something to reform the welfare state, there's is too much incentive to remaining poor.

For example I knew a woman with a child that fell on hard times after leaving her husband. She needed assistance at the time to help house and feed her child and herself. Once she had her life back on track she wouldn't commit to a job because she feared losing the welfare. This was a smart woman that was fully capable of supporting herself long term but she didn't want to let go of that life raft and swim for shore so speak. We have to change this situation.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
"The Question isn't who is going to let me; It's who is going to stop me". Ayn Rand.

"Throught the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision" Ayn Rand.

tell me Hot air, how do we progress as a society and create jobs without someone leading the way? Where would we be as a society without the Carnegies, Fricks, Fords, Gates, and even the Buffets? Of course you never can respond to me because you dont like people who think differently than you do.

and btw, I watched Atlas Shrug last night and began reading the book "I am John Galt" this evening.
Ayn Rand is for baby intellectuals. The Fisher Price of intellectualism, if you will. Except most of her toys are broken.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The "right time" is always there.
Not when you're considering the success of someone like Bill Gates, that was a very narrow window of opportunity and if he wasn't there it would of been someone else.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Define "livable wage".

This is where your argument breaks down.
Actually, and sadly, I think that is where your intellect breaks down.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
HC costs skyrocketed in the 1980s...guess who was president.
A big government president of course. That's been the problem all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies