Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,103,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think both of you make reasonable points.

I can only speak for myself that somewhere in a range of disabilities I'd eventually cross a line into rather being dead.
But wouldn't that be because you weren't born that way? If you were born with disabilities, you wouldn't know another way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,377,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What do you mean this isn't up to public discussion. Where do you think some of the funding comes from for project line these?

If not for technology the parents would never know and would not have an opportunity to abort their babies who may have defects.

Society has every right to discuss the moral, ethical and legal ramifications of this technology and its impact on society.
Yes I know. Can you run a northern blot, or read a karyotype? I can.

The discussion about the topic is for the public.

The decision taking is for the parents of said child and is not for public debate.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM

77,804 posts, read 59,974,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
But wouldn't that be because you weren't born that way? If you were born with disabilities, you wouldn't know another way.
Severe medical issues, treatments, surgeries etc. suck even if you are 2 years old with severe cognitive disabilities. Struggling to breath until you die at age 4 while experiencing lots and lots of pain?

I'm again talking about the ENTIRE range of disability. Not the "disabled" you see on TV or on group trips to the zoo or bagging groceries.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,315,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I'm not giving an opinion one way or the other regarding abortion, but your last paragraph is a bit overdone. Most Down Syndrome people are in fact, not self supporting, even if they are working.
A close friend has a 25 year old, high functioning Downs daughter (Susan). She does work, but must keep her hours under the SSI limit or she will lose benefits.

Susan's mother was under 35 when she became pregnant, so did not get an amniocentesis. She was a special ed. teacher, so was an informed parent from the very beginning. Susan started therapy immediately after birth and is a lovely young woman. However, she has multiple cognitive deficits and will never be able to live on her own.

Downs children are just that forever and ever - children. I watch my retired friends still providing care for their 'child' and know that I would never want to live their life, no matter how OK they are with it (and they are).

My friend is very up front with her thoughts and she told me a while ago that if she had known she was carrying a Downs child, she would have aborted.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,610,729 times
Quote:
Wow how awful a whole group of people are to become near extinct because of a test and abortions.

Read more: New, simple test may mean the controversial end of Down syndrome - NYPOST.com
How is this any different than the tests already in place for Tay-Sachs or sickle cell or anything else that can be identified prenatally?

More information is always better, What people choose to do with it is their business.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM

166 posts, read 441,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So people should have a baby with a profound disability requiring significant medical, financial, and parental resources...while society as a whole is telling people they don't want to help people provide for those with that type of disability?

Yeah right. People get to have a say in what to do when they help me with the consequences of forcing that decision.

It's easy to tell people what they think others should do, and skip away leaving others to hold the bag. That's not responsibility.

Beforing starting to watch American Horror Stories I would have been in the abort camp, but now I'm not so sure, Jamie Brewer who plays Adelaide is simple a beautiful and talented young women. Who I think the world is a better place having her in it. Not knowing the side of the parents of the severely mentally retarded I say it's their choice.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,721,894 times
Quote:
Wow how awful a whole group of people are to become near extinct because of a test and abortions.

Read more: New, simple test may mean the controversial end of Down syndrome - NYPOST.com
Progressivism in a nutshell.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,610,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Progressivism in a nutshell.
Yeah, like that pesky polio vaccine.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,910,284 times
Quote:
What do you mean this isn't up to public discussion. Where do you think some of the funding comes from for project line these?

If not for technology the parents would never know and would not have an opportunity to abort their babies who may have defects.

Society has every right to discuss the moral, ethical and legal ramifications of this technology and its impact on society.
Are you suggesting that this technology is a bad thing or that we should not use it?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,721,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, like that pesky polio vaccine.
I wasn't aware that the polio vaccine was used to kill a class of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies