Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Our society is becoming more and more autistic. That's just as terrible as down syndrome.

Eugenics is a fraud. They aren't interested in helping humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wow how awful a whole group of people are to become near extinct because of a test and abortions.

Read more: New, simple test may mean the controversial end of Down syndrome - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We are developing technology to help parents make decisions. Some day soon all genetic disorders can be attacked inside the womb, with designer babies. Are you against preventing anyone from repairing their child's genetics? This kind of identification is the first step in repairing the defect.
Not sure how to answer that because I don't view it in terms of "repairing a defect." The very way your question is framed makes clear your perspective, and I have a completely different one.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I find this very hard to believe. A very positive attitude from them if so, but realistically, is what they are saying true, or are they just saying that as a way to accept and cope with their real life situation.
They're not just saying it cause they are flat out refusing therapy that could treat their condition. I know two wheelchair users that could walk within months if they took specific medications and did physical therapy and both of them choose not to. I go to a school full of deaf people, most of whom do not have cochlear implants or hearing aids. I am blind and I could do treatment to restore my sight but prefer to live blind. It's how I grew up and it's what I'm used to. I'm more comfortable being blind.

It's not all talk. These are real people with disabilities that are just a part of who they are. For some people, having a "disability" is more natural because it's all they've ever known, or it's what they grew up with. My cousin who is Downs is just herself. It's not a "defect" in need of "repair". It's part of who she is. In all these cases except my cousin, there is treatment available, so it's not a matter of trying to "cope and accept" one's condition. If we didn't accept our conditions, we would seek the treatments available to "cure" them. This perspective is very real and very common in the disabled community because many disabled people don't see themselves as in need of "repair", but rather just as people with their disability being part of who they are, just like their hair color and skin color.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Yeah, no one is telling anyone what to do.

Besides the people protesting in front of abortion clinics (that also attempt to physically stop people from getting in), people with dead babies on signs in front of schools, physical confrontations with those who disagree (like a landlord taking his child to school and senator at church), people killing doctors that perform abortions, people who plant bombs at abortion clinics....

You can disagree all you want, physical confrontation and violence is not disagreement.

What is funny is how many people don't want you to have an abortion, but have the view on health care for the poor is "
Don't get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly".
I was talking about the people in this thread. I'm expressing my opinions but I'm not trying to pass any legislation banning people from making their own choices, nor am I committing any sort of violence in the name of my beliefs.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think both of you make reasonable points.

I can only speak for myself that somewhere in a range of disabilities I'd eventually cross a line into rather being dead.
I see your point. But at the same time, I don't think Downs people in general are anywhere near that part of the spectrum. If we were talking about babies with crippling chronic pain and the inability to function whatsoever, but who were conscious of their surroundings, for example, then I would understand better. But Downs people aren't suffering for the most part. Most Downs people are perfectly happy people, or they have about the same range of problems as the average population.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
But wouldn't that be because you weren't born that way? If you were born with disabilities, you wouldn't know another way.
I believe Downs babies fit into that category. Most people with congenital disabilities accept their disability just fine. Most Downs people are fine being Downs, cause like you said, it's all they've ever known. More often than not, it's the people around them that seem to be so crippled by the idea of being Downs.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I think it's about being responsible. If there's a test which will conclusively determine if a baby will be born with Downs it's up to the parents if they want to have the test and what they do with the fetus.

I think all genetic diseases and disabilities should be eradicated to have a productive society.

There are plenty of irresponsible parents who have healthy children they raise who eventually become deadbeats/dysfunctional, etc.

Maybe the answer lies in the intellectual testing of potential parents to determine if they are capable of raising children to begin with.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think it's about being responsible. If there's a test which will conclusively determine if a baby will be born with Downs it's up to the parents if they want to have the test and what they do with the fetus.

I think all genetic diseases and disabilities should be eradicated to have a productive society.

There are plenty of irresponsible parents who have healthy children they raise who eventually become deadbeats/dysfunctional, etc.

Maybe the answer lies in the intellectual testing of potential parents to determine if they are capable to raise children to begin with.
Who said the disabled can't be productive? My Downs cousin works two jobs. My quadriplegic girlfriend is in grad school to become a doctor. Disabled people can be productive. The only barrier is ignorant people telling the disabled they can't do anything when in fact we can. If we stop seeing the disabled as "defective", then we will soon realize that disabled people can be, and many already are, productive members of society.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Who said the disabled can't be productive?
There are plenty of disabled people who have adapted well to society.

For the genetic health of humanity it is important to weed out genetic diseases that impair human development - e.g. chromosomal defects.

This world isn't a utopia. We will never have that on earth. But science makes strides every day which may help humanity in the long run and I believe eradicating chromosomal defects is very important.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are plenty of disabled people who have adapted well to society.

For the genetic health of humanity it is important to weed out genetic diseases that impair human development - e.g. chromosomal defects.
Those defects could very well become the fittest if and when the environment changes. Biodiversity is the only saving grace when the environment changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies