Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

The 99 Percent Movement has attracted students, labor unions, unemployed workers, teachers, artists, singers, writers, former real estate brokers, political activists, people who have given up on the traditional political system, and thousands more. But a growing contingent seen at Occupy Wall Street solidarity protests all across the country are veterans.

The signs of a veterans movement are everywhere, from new groups dedicated to supporting veterans in the occupy movement, to thousands of veterans showing up at street actions. And despite condescending rhetoric from the right-wing media, veterans have every reason to be there:
1.) Veterans Deserve Economic Justice: Thousands of veterans returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are finding a grim job market. Veterans who served since 9/11 experience a 12.1% unemployment rate, which is higher than the national average, while one in three male veterans are jobless. Recent reports have showed that the number of homeless veterans is surging, while there are insufficient job placement programs.

2.) Veterans Embrace Occupy Wall Street Out Of Love For Country: A growing number of veterans groups are enthusiastically embracing the movement. Although some are demonstrating against a terrible economic conditions, many are doing so out of simple patriotism. Thousands have marched near Zuccotti Park and at other occupy encampments with a message about taking their country back from the grip of lobbyists and predatory financial institutions. One iconic sign, held by a veteran at Occupy Wall Street, summed up the sentiment: “Second time I’ve fought for my country. First time I’ve known my enemy.”

3.) The Banks Are Preying On Veterans: Big banks have found ways to rip off and ruin the men and women who placed their lives on the line for this country. According to a recent whistleblower lawsuit, some of the nation’s biggest banks, including Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and J.P. Morgan Chase, “defrauded veterans and taxpayers out of hundreds of millions of dollars by disguising illegal fees in veterans’ home refinancing loans.” Fly-by-night scam for-profit universities, many of which are owned by Wall Street investment banks, heavily target veterans with fraudulent educational programs. While military families struggle to get by all over the country, defense contractor CEO’s earn as much as $19 million a year.

4.) K Street Domination Of Government Means Defense Money Goes To War Profiteering Corporations Over Veterans: America spends more on the military than most of our rival nations combined. Yet much of that money, because of the influence of defense contractors and other private military interests, is spent on expensive weapons we never use instead of on rank and file soldiers. Revolving door lobbyists, who go from the Pentagon to K Street firms, have secured over a trillion in wasteful spending to companies like Lockheed Martin.

5.) During The Economic Downturn, Veterans Programs Are Being Cut And Privatized As Well: As Republicans and their allies have succeeded so far in pushing an austerity agenda of massive government cuts, veterans have also been targeted. According to a recent analysis by Military.com of a CBO study outlining suggested cuts, Congress is debating proposals to cap military basic pay and limiting veterans health benefits. Notably, the Defense Business Board is also considering a move to privatize the military pension program, swapping it out with a 401k system. If there is another crisis on Wall Street, veterans could lose see their retirement benefits wiped out if such a system is put in

Five Reasons Why Veterans Are Part Of The 99 Percent | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Just because someone might be a vet doesn't mean they aren't complete douches like the rest of OWS cloud......
I'm a Vet and none of your points effect me....I am not in your 99%

Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Not all vets are the same and some who claim to be vets aren't.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Just because someone might be a vet doesn't mean they aren't complete douches like the rest of OWS cloud......
I'm a Vet and none of your points effect me....I am not in your 99%
So vets are o.k., but the other protestors are douches. I see.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:35 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Not all vets are the same and some who claim to be vets aren't.
Far more who are don't advertise.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM

561 posts, read 505,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Veterans Deserve Economic Justice
What is "Economic Justice?" A 12.1% unemployment rate for veterans is consistent with the overall unemployment statistics across the country. Here's a link:

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

Quote:
Veterans Embrace Occupy Wall Street Out Of Love For Country
Some vets support OWS and some don't, just like the rest of the country. Unlike most of the OWS crowd, the vets actually fought for the right to protest.

Quote:
The Banks Are Preying On Veterans
There are many financial programs available from "big banks" that benefit only veterans. Home loans throught the VA and FHA are just 2 examples.

Quote:
Corporate Domination Of Government Means Defense Money Goes To War Profiteering Corporations Over Veterans
Those "evil corporations" provide out troops with state-of-the-art weapons and technology. Would you prefer we send our troops into battle with sticks and stones?

Quote:
During The Economic Downturn, Veterans Programs Are Being Cut And Privatized As Well
Across the board cuts are being considered. $400 billion could be cut from defense. All of us will have to sacrifice. Vets are used to it. It's the OWS crowd that is whining about having to earn what they have historically taken for free.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
So vets are o.k., but the other protestors are douches. I see.
Now where did I say that? Plenty of Vets can be douches......Maybe thats why the indivuals in the photo MAY be vets.....but since it's way easy to go the surplus store and buy some piece of old uniform and dance around saying your a vet, I can't verify their cliams to service....
BTW The turd with sign appears to be wearing a Vietnam era uniform.He probably wasn't even born during that conflict. I'd like to see him sell that story to a real Aircav guy....

Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
What is "Economic Justice?" A 12.1% unemployment rate for veterans is consistent with the overall unemployment statistics across the country. Here's a link:

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

Some vets support OWS and some don't, just like the rest of the country. Unlike most of the OWS crowd, the vets actually fought for the right to protest.

There are many financial programs available from "big banks" that benefit only veterans. Home loans throught the VA and FHA are just 2 examples.

Those "evil corporations" provide out troops with state-of-the-art weapons and technology. Would you prefer we send our troops into battle with sticks and stones?

Across the board cuts are being considered. $400 billion could be cut from defense. All of us will have to sacrifice. Vets are used to it. It's the OWS crowd that is whining about having to earn what they have historically taken for free.
I started to respond, but then I realized that you really did not say anything. Must have been a vet too...Captain Obvious.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Now where did I say that? Plenty of Vets can be douches......Maybe thats why the indivuals in the photo MAY be vets.....but since it's way easy to go the surplus store and buy some piece of old uniform and dance around saying your a vet, I can't verify their cliams to service....
O.K. so if I am clear now. If you are vet and in the OWS protest you are a douche? Is that right?

In many cases, veterans have been the most visible victims of police brutality: like in Boston, where police violently raided a group of peaceful veterans occupying a city plaza, and in Oakland, where police fractured the skull of Scott Olson, an Iraq veteran, with a shot from a projectile aimed at protesters.

Occupy Wall Street solidarity protests will hold Veterans Day events to stand with veterans in cities across America, from Colorado Springs to San Diego, to Syracuse, to Chicago, to Denver, to Missoula, to Sacramento, to Gainesville, and beyond

Old 11-13-2011, 12:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
My buddy, a two-time Iraq war veteran, is involved with Occupy Boston. I figured he would be, but I had no idea how much company he had. He called me to wish me a happy Veteran's Day, and we chatted a bit about Occupy. He told me it's practically a veteran's movement. That surprised me, but it's true. He said the place was crawling with veterans. Those of you older vets might not realize just how much OWS dovetails with the thinking of vets in their 20s. These are very hard economic times for young people. Consequently, my buddy is no hippie. He said, "Being around these f'ing hippies is a real drag, but what can you do? They're right about what needs to be done."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies