Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times

Advertisements

Fannie Mae loss widens, asks taxpayers for $7.8B - Yahoo! News

Meanwhile their execs are still getting huge bonuses? for what, failing and getting tax payer bailouts?

Lawmakers move to block Fannie, Freddie bonuses | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Think the OWS crowds will acknowledge this? Not in a million years, it's not on their talking point sheets emailed to them from the DNC.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I know where they could get $ .3 billion--$100 million from Frank Raines and $200 million from James Johnson. That would be a small start at least.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Well we can't say no anymore..they were nationalized

Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
This country needs a clean slate. On some level, I think that's one of the few things conservatives, liberals, and everyone can agree on; it's just agreeing on what that process should be.

I've basically been a Keynesian guy, and I still am. I supported the bailouts, believing that it would be unconscionable to let our financial system collapse completely.

But then I read about Iceland's reaction to their own banking collapse, and I started to question some of my own beliefs a little. Not that I'm about to join the tea part anytime soon or anything but I think the biggest problem with the bailouts is that we have basically told banks, "Do whatever the hell you want - we'll pay for it" There's absolutely no incentive to stop engaging in these risky banking and investment practices.

Perhaps the best response would have been to take the banks into receivership; retained the management for a period so that the markets stabilized; and then gradually let the banks down in a sort of controlled collapse. I don't know if there's a mechanism for that, which may explain why that wasn't done. But it's something we should look into. Instead, the current emergency mechanism just kicks in public funding to ensure liquidity in the short term, but that's still a major long-term problem...and it might even make an already-bad problem and even more gigantic mess in the future.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM

129 posts, read 154,345 times
Yes this country needs a clean state. I firmly believe that in order to do so, new laws need to be in placed to protect the people of a corrupt government that is solely being run by career politicians. That and the fact we need to start focusing on ourselves and say the hell with the rest of the world. No one is helping us, why should we help any of them.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Don't worry. Barney Frank will handle this.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
I don't know if there's any way to keep a big from becoming too big to ignore, but we need to find a way to keep them from being too big to fail. They do not have to be one and the same. If a bank goes under and threatens to pull our financial system down with it, then we would obviously need to step in and figure out how to keep the economy solvent. But the bank in that failed incarnation needs to become extinct. I think that's something that both parties could actually work together and make some progress on. The Republicans would get to keep their 'risk-and-reward' free market, and the Democrats would get to humble the big banks once in a while.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
"This is great news." - Liberals

Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
This country needs a clean slate. On some level, I think that's one of the few things conservatives, liberals, and everyone can agree on; it's just agreeing on what that process should be.

I've basically been a Keynesian guy, and I still am. I supported the bailouts, believing that it would be unconscionable to let our financial system collapse completely.

But then I read about Iceland's reaction to their own banking collapse, and I started to question some of my own beliefs a little. Not that I'm about to join the tea part anytime soon or anything but I think the biggest problem with the bailouts is that we have basically told banks, "Do whatever the hell you want - we'll pay for it" There's absolutely no incentive to stop engaging in these risky banking and investment practices.

Perhaps the best response would have been to take the banks into receivership; retained the management for a period so that the markets stabilized; and then gradually let the banks down in a sort of controlled collapse. I don't know if there's a mechanism for that, which may explain why that wasn't done. But it's something we should look into. Instead, the current emergency mechanism just kicks in public funding to ensure liquidity in the short term, but that's still a major long-term problem...and it might even make an already-bad problem and even more gigantic mess in the future.

Why the heck do you think the "Great Depression" lasted as long as it did? It had everything to do with the government geting involved. Keynesians just don't get it.

Ron Paul on CNBC Closing Bell 11/8/11 - YouTube

As you keep questioning you Keynesian beliefs go over to Mises.com and read up on Austrian Economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossjr79 View Post
Yes this country needs a clean state. I firmly believe that in order to do so, new laws need to be in placed to protect the people of a corrupt government that is solely being run by career politicians. That and the fact we need to start focusing on ourselves and say the hell with the rest of the world. No one is helping us, why should we help any of them.
We don't need new laws; we need to return to the old one: The US Constitution!

Ron Paul 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies