Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So people who have lost their jobs are not in need?
Thjats not what the other poster said. You dont collect unemployment because you are in need, its because you LOST YOUR JOB.
Quote:
And it didn't answer the question, why are multimillionaires collecting unemployment to begin with?
Unemployment isnt based upon NEED. Why is this difficult for you to understand?
Quote:
Did you read the article? The wealthy ARE taking money out, that's the whole point. Apparently they deserve welfare and the rest of us do not.
Taking unemployment isnt welfare because welfare by definition is based upon NEED. And if one pays into unemployment, why shouldnt they be allowed to collect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
It should be noted that Democrats had two full years to do something about these loopholes. The same tax structure was in place then, right?

Why is it an issue now?

At some point, those who view life from the left side need to understand rich people will look out for their best interests - whether left or right. This is not solely a Republican issue. Democrats love these loopholes also - otherwise they would have done something while they had total control. Don't be fooled.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
See, there you go again with more errors. Most multimillionaires are millionaires because they were self employed, and self employed individuals DONT collect unemployment because they cant!!
Except that they are. READ THE ARTICLE. Geesh. Not all millionaires are self-employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because allowing people to KEEP THEIR OWN MONEY is not mooching and low income people who COLLECT from the taxpayers ARE.. They are complete OPPOSITE of one another.

Own money vs OTHER PEOPLES MONEY..
So because they have a lot of money, millionaires should be allowed to keep it all and not pay federal income taxes, but low income people who don't have a lot of money should not be allowed to keep what they have and not pay federal income taxes? You are conveniently skipping over the questions and responding in talking points.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Except that they are. READ THE ARTICLE. Geesh. Not all millionaires are self-employed.
Unemployment is INSURANCE, not Welfare. According to your argument, if my house burns down, I shouldnt be able to collect the insurance to rebuild because I'm a millionaire, or self employed? Explain this to me.
Quote:
So because they have a lot of money, millionaires should be allowed to keep it all and not pay federal income taxes, but low income people who don't have a lot of money should not be allowed to keep what they have and not pay federal income taxes?
Who the hell is saying the poor shouldnt be allowed to ekep their money? The only time you hear that the poor should be PAYING TAXES, is when you left wing kooks start to talk about reducing taxes = welfare. Either not paying taxes is welfare, or its not, which is it? It cant be good for person A and not for person B
Quote:
You are conveniently skipping over the questions and responding in talking points.
No one is skipping over it nor are they posting talking points. You just dont like the results.

PEOPLE KEEPING their money is NOT welfare. Tax breaks for the rich is NOT welfare. ITS THEIR MONEY!!! Welfare is PAYING someone something they wouldnt have, using money that ISNT THEIRS!!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
"A leading Senate conservative is taking aim at tax breaks that he says amount to welfare for millionaires, a line of critique that usually comes from liberal Democrats. The report found millionaires enjoy about $30 billion worth of “tax giveaways†and federal grants every year — almost twice NASA’s budget, the report notes.

“From tax write-offs for gambling losses, vacation homes and luxury yachts to subsidies for their ranches and estates, the government is subsidizing the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Multimillionaires are even receiving government checks for not working,†Coburn said in a statement Monday. “This welfare for the well-off — costing billions of dollars a year — is being paid for with the taxes of the less fortunate, many who are working two jobs just to make ends meet, and IOUs to be paid off by future generations."

His staff found that millionaires received $74 million worth of unemployment checks from 2005 to 2009; $316 million in farm subsidies from 2003 to 2009; $89 million for the preservation of lands on ranches and estates in 2009 and 2010; and $7.5 million to compensate for property damages caused by disaster.

And it found that nearly 1,500 millionaires did not pay federal income tax in 2009."

Tax breaks for rich is welfare for millionaires, says maverick senator - TheHill.com

Wow, this coming from Senator Tom Coburn, a Republican from Oklahoma. Now refresh my memory, isn't there some right wing talking point about 47% of low income "moochers" paying no federal income tax?

Typical liberal "logic"

1. It is not welfare if you are keeping more of your own money
2. taxation takes money from those who earned it and gives it to those who did not
3. welfare is providing money to a group who did not earn it

It is interesting to see how liberals think. They really think that the incomes and wealth of citizens is the property of the federal government and they just "allow" us to keep some of it. Amazing, yet typical.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Owning assets worth over a million dollars (thus being a millionaire) is different than having income, which is what things like income taxes and unemployment insurance are based on.

If I have saved in my 401k/IRA for my entire career and at 60 years old lose my job with 700k in retirement account and a 300k house I own then I shouldn't be allowed to collect the unemployment insurance that others can collect? Am I evil since not paying income taxes without having income?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
So people who have lost their jobs are not in need? And it didn't answer the question, why are multimillionaires collecting unemployment to begin with?

Did you read the article? The wealthy ARE taking money out, that's the whole point. Apparently they deserve welfare and the rest of us do not.
I'll try to talk really slowly......People losing their jobs, being in need, collecting welfare, and collecting unemployment are completely separate issues. I DID answer the question - they are collecting because they PAID for the insurance. Let's put it into terms even a liberal can understand. Let's say you pay for car insurance. Your car gets damaged. Does your insurance company pay out based on your policy, or do they determine your net worth then give you what they "feel" you deserve?

And since you're having a very difficult time telling the difference between taxes, entitlements, and welfare, I'll slow it down even more:

They are NOT taking money out. They are either keeping their OWN money, or collecting on insurance that they paid for (depending which part of this crazy conversation you're referring to). It's NOT welfare. Welfare is for people that don't have enough money to live. Then, you and I pay for them to live. The wealthy are NOT collecting welfare. If you or I qualified for welfare, we COULD collect it. If you don't qualify, then you don't "deserve" welfare either.

I know you libs are all emotional, and can't tell fact from fiction, but please learn to use your terminology correctly.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The arguement against the opening statement is....

"Rich people create jobs with their money"

Which is actually true, but it ignores the fact that welfare recipients create jobs with the demand they create.

And We give a whole lot more money to the rich people through tax breaks, then we do poor folks through welfare. Also, Welfare (actual welfare, food stamps are not welfare) is capped at a lifetime 5 year maximum draw. Tax rates go on forever.
Welfare recipients take money from the very people who they buy their goods from. It's the same argument as Pelosi saying "unemployment checks are one of the best investments we could make in our economy". What a crock!!! A business pays taxes, the taxes are doled out in welfare, the welfare recipients use that money to buy goods from the very same business they took the welfare from -- the company just donated their goods to that recipient, but it had to go through channels of beurocrats, who took their cuts first.

WE don't GIVE anything to millionaires. NOT paying taxes on what they EARN isn't the same as GIVING them ANYTHING.

Welcome to the world of the OWS where the protest is against the same people they want to fleece. They actually believe that the hard works isn't their burden, but a share in the profits are. Welcome to a world where right is wrong and wrong is right.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You don't read reports do you? Warren Buffet and his secretary is the specific example, but even the CBO say that the richest Americans, overall pay a lower tax rate then most Americans.
And you apparently don't read posts before responding to them.

The average American is too lazy to research tax breaks before filing a return. The wealthier Americans take the time to manage their personal finances, something the average American does not do.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
And it found that nearly 1,500 millionaires did not pay federal income tax in 2009.
That would be because they had major losses to report against any income.
Half the wealthy in the USA are GONE the last few years. They lost their money.

Liberals want to eviscerate the remaining wealthy and to discourage them from creating jobs and new businesses. Total stupidity lead by the chief of stupid Obama IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies