Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times

Advertisements

Just goes to show that buckling up can be dangerous too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Actually, I think the overwhelming majority of people generally don't carry a handgun around with them - round in the chamber or not.
I think that is probably true.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think that is probably true.
Undoubtedly. Of the roughly 250 adult Americans, how many do you think will strap a handgun to his or her body sometime in the next 24 hours?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Goes to show those seat belts can come from the wrong side of the tracks.... Beware!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The overwhelming majority of those that carry do so with a round in the chamber.
Really? Can't say I'm surprised per se, but it does strike me as a bit, I dunno - tactical.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Really? Can't say I'm surprised per se, but it does strike me as a bit, I dunno - tactical.
I think you misuse the word tactical. Maybe things are different in Europe and y'all carry on an empty chamber. Keeping one's bugger hook off the bang switch usually keeps such things from happening. However, a poor holster design, which came to mind when I read the article as it's button could have been confused by the now deceased for the seatbelt button, could have been the instigator in the discharge that claimed his life. This is an educated guess on my part since the story did not metion any holster specifically. A significant number of LE academies have banned the holster I mentioned for the same reason.

Tragic. Severing of the femoral artery is often most unforgiving. Thoughts and prayers to his surviving family.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think you misuse the word tactical. Maybe things are different in Europe and y'all carry on an empty chamber. Keeping one's bugger hook off the bang switch usually keeps such things from happening. However, a poor holster design, which came to mind when I read the article as it's button could have been confused by the now deceased for the seatbelt button, could have been the instigator in the discharge that claimed his life. This is an educated guess on my part since the story did not metion any holster specifically. A significant number of LE academies have banned the holster I mentioned for the same reason.

Tragic. Severing of the femoral artery is often most unforgiving. Thoughts and prayers to his surviving family.
I am not buying the story that he was fastening or unfastening his seat-beat and accidentally pulled the trigger. The two mechanisms feel nothing alike. It would also depend on whether he was in the driver's seat or in the passenger's seat, and which hand he was.

I would be willing to bet that he was deliberately playing with his Glock and it accidentally went off. It takes a couple pounds of force to pull a trigger when the hammer has not been cocked already.

Considering it was .40 caliber Glock, I am not in the least bit surprised it took out his femoral artery. It probably blew off half his leg.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
words to live by

Hope that wasn't a malfunction by a poor holster design like the Blackhawk Serpa.
That's just why when I carry my Glock I don't keep a round chambered. You only need to have one in the chamber if you're about to go into action or you're on duty...

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A 1911 vs Glock discussion makes for controversey. BTW, I picked the 1911 for the same reason. I grew up on rifles, I like a conventional safety and single action trigger.
I have both a Glock 40 & a 1911. I can say hands down the Glock out performs any 1911 on the market.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am not buying the story that he was fastening or unfastening his seat-beat and accidentally pulled the trigger.
I'm with you. I'm sitting at my desk trying to figure out how to get my Glock to point at the interior portion of my thigh which is where the femoral artery runs out of the pelvis

and no matter how I position the gun on my hip, inside or outside of my pants, the gun always points towards my butt...

Of course if he was carrying the gun unholstered in his waistband in the front of his pants, the gun would be pointed directly at the area of the femoral artery, but the question is how would he have pulled the trigger unless the gun was outside of his shirt??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies