Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times

Advertisements

A few years back a guy dropped his legally carried pistol in a local Giant parking lot and it went off and shot him an killed him. I have a friend who's a police officer and he showed me his service sidearm which was a Glock. I commented that the large magazine was probably overkill for his township( after nealy 20 years now thats probably changed) but I did not like the idea of a safety in the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,910,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
A few years back a guy dropped his legally carried pistol in a local Giant parking lot and it went off and shot him an killed him. I have a friend who's a police officer and he showed me his service sidearm which was a Glock. I commented that the large magazine was probably overkill for his township( after nealy 20 years now thats probably changed) but I did not like the idea of a safety in the trigger.
It is impossible to drop a legally carried pistol if it is properly holstered. The only time it should be out of it's holster in public is when being used to defend one's life.

Most likely he failed to properly maintain the firearm or tried to catch it while in the process of dropping and his booger hook hit the bang switch. While there are a few handgun models out there with such mechanical failures they are rare and ND's usually occur from sloppy maint. than being a true manufacturing defect. Historically it is more likely a long gun which will ND/AD when dropped.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,648,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Unfortunately he hits a major artery and it's lights out for him.

Spotsylvania man inadvertently shoots self in Giant parking lot - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

.........well.................. that IS the trouble with Glocks. That little issue of no safety is not a good idea for idiots who carry a round in the chamber. Perhaps another model may have been a better idea for him.

Many of the people with concealed carry permits, given the expansion of the laws, are IDIOTS. I have a concealed carry, but either have the safety on if there is one in the chamber, or leave the safety off and do not have one in the chamber. It is pretty simple stuff.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
.........well.................. that IS the trouble with Glocks. That little issue of no safety is not a good idea for idiots who carry a round in the chamber. Perhaps another model may have been a better idea for him.

Many of the people with concealed carry permits, given the expansion of the laws, are IDIOTS. I have a concealed carry, but either have the safety on if there is one in the chamber, or leave the safety off and do not have one in the chamber. It is pretty simple stuff.
Calling people idiots is a little much by someone who carries a gun with the safety off. Chamber or not

Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,370,754 times
I have an XD45, when I carry or while it's locked up there's not a round in the chamber. That way it doesn't go off by accident and if somehow my kids got passed the lock box neither of them have the strength to pull the action back and chamber a round. In an emergency it only takes a fraction of a second to pull the slide.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:55 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,008,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Chambered rounds in Glocks seem to present little problem for tens of thousands of law enforcement officers that carry them on a daily basis. The same is true for scores of concealed carry practitioners that also carry Glocks with loaded chambers.

Your assertion that Glocks have no safety is inaccurate. Additionally, relying on a manually operated mechanical safety is at best a false sense of security.

As far as your claim that those of us that carry Glocks with rounds chambered are idiots you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'd argue that stridently expressed opinion does far more to illustrate your own lack of training and unfamiliarity with the weapon than it does to paint others as idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies